prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Wintrale said:
Sterling said:
I think that Nintendo have royally screwed up so far. Hopefully they get their act together and make Sony eat their words that the two aren't competing.

Sony is the one really screwing up. They believe their own marketing ploys so much they're willing to release the Vita a week after Monster Hunter 3G comes out on the 3DS in Japan. They're not only releasing the Vita a week before Christmas, but after Nintendo releases all their huge games that everyone will be picking up for Christmas. I really don't think the Vita is going to do very well at the Japanese launch, especially when it's going up against Monster Hunter and doesn't really have any system sellers at launch either (similar to how the 3DS was lacking at launch, too).
It's funny that you're comparing hardware sales to software sales, anyway...

Sony has always said that the Vita will be released in at least one region before 2012 and wasn't Monster Hunter 3DS release date just announced?

It takes planning and a little bit more to come up with a release date, they didn't suddenly one day say "we're releasing it on that date", they have to take into account if they can get the Vitas in store by then and everything else e.g PSN.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
iggloovortex said:
For example, Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The game LOOKS great and plays fine, but when it comes to doing certain actions and melee, you have to tap the screen. and you know that isnt really a problem, save for the fact that you actually HAVE to tap the screen. and those kind of things that slow down gameplay are what kill a system.
Optional. You can use the analog to do the same things. Like, you know... Uncharted.

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What I don't get is if they're not competing.
It means that the Vita/3DS either have no
competition or they're competing with
smartphones.

kevan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Giga_Gaia said:
Saying the two things aren't gonna compete with each other is what a pathetic loser would say.
Saying something that a pathetic loser would say is what a pathetic loser would say *mindfuck*

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
kevan said:
Giga_Gaia said:
Saying the two things aren't gonna compete with each other is what a pathetic loser would say.
Saying something that a pathetic loser would say is what a pathetic loser would say *mindfuck*

There is no mindfuck there. You just not only said something that made no sense to look interesting, but in the end, you also makde yourself look dumber.

kevan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Giga_Gaia said:
kevan said:
Giga_Gaia said:

There is no mindfuck there. You just not only said something that made no sense to look interesting, but in the end, you also makde yourself look dumber.
Calm down just joking
happy.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shabutie78 said:
jan777 said:
Shabutie78 said:
Midna said:
>nintendo is aimed primarily at children

Yup I stopped reading there.
awe man, i had a lot of respect for you.
you're going to tell me that with all this shovelware, generic mario/first party (milking) titles, and the whole "dual screen" concept that they're not aiming at children?
what do you think a 9 year old is more likely to have; a DS or a PSP?

http://gbatemp.net/t237592-why-i-m-not-going-to-get-the-3ds? If you had been here in this thread, you would know.
Unfortunate that the videos were removed because you'd probably be friends with uploader.
laugh.gif
haha no way. i don't support idiotic criticism like that whether i like the system they're defending or not.
anyone who thinks that nintendo's DS isn't aimed primarily at children is in complete denial, or they misunderstand what i'm trying to say.
look at all of the first-party peripherals for the DS: styli with video game characters on them? DS nintendo character skins? goofy looking travel cases? (please correct me if any of these are strictly third-party only)
i'm not trying to say that adults and hardcore gamers have no reason to get the DS. i have one, and i love it.
but i'm not going to blindly say that the DS was aimed at the same audience the PSP was. that's just ignint.
Actually that's not right, just look at the Pokemon franchise. Pokemon, the TCG, manga (Adventures/Special specifically), and the games (Which are the driving force) are not made specifically for kids, but rather for people of all ages (disregarding Pokemon Special/Adventure, which was made for teens onwards). However, the anime is, which leads people to believe the series as a whole is for kids, but it's not. Because of the popularity of the anime, the company started releasing merchandise and a game for kids (that one game being Pokepark).

It's the same way with the DS, just because it has a lot of fans who are children, may go to believe that it is a system who's audience is children, which in truth, isn't so.

Also, you're misusing the word ignorant.
Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.

Vinnymac

Trophies
Website
nds-roms.com
XP
Country
United States
Seeing as we have always had to pick between consoles, especially the poorer people, I think this is very false. I play my 3DS but I have also considered a PSVita. They are gaming devices. It isn't like the difference between a tablet PC and a laptop PC. Tablets can offer a lot of the capability that a laptop can, but has a lot more portability than most. However a laptop offers full capability of a PC and has less portability. This type of comparison isn't what is being done with the PSVita and 3DS. They are competing. Just as much as Phones have now entered the gaming market. PSVita and 3DS will be competing whether they like it or not. It isn't a matter of what they wish was the case. It is a matter of what has already occured. And as we have seen the smart phone business is booming. The PSP was nearly dead, and the DS was doing fine. Now it seems things are very jumbled. The quality of games has been shot, especially in the smart phone market. All I hope is that the 3DS and PSVita offer good quality games. But as things have been going they might realize simpler games, on cheaper devices is the way to go. I really hope handheld gaming isn't killed by the smart phone era. I truly hope that Sony doesn't pull any of this stuff.

Another topic is the fact that they say Japan can't make a next gen title. For some this is very true. But when I look at Square Enix I have to say they haven't made very good games :/. After 13 everything went downhill, and the only reason they have good games coming out is because they purchased Eidos. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were good, but thats because the heart and soul of Square made em. Anybody hear that Square Enix is becoming "Square" that is cool, but I think they are losing their image completely now. Nintendo isn't bad at Next-gen titles, but they aren't quite there yet either.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
machomuu said:
Shabutie78 said:
jan777 said:
Shabutie78 said:
Midna said:

you're going to tell me that with all this shovelware, generic mario/first party (milking) titles, and the whole "dual screen" concept that they're not aiming at children?

http://gbatemp.net/t237592-why-i-m-not-going-to-get-the-3ds? If you had been here in this thread, you would know.
Unfortunate that the videos were removed because you'd probably be friends with uploader.
laugh.gif
haha no way. i don't support idiotic criticism like that whether i like the system they're defending or not.
anyone who thinks that nintendo's DS isn't aimed primarily at children is in complete denial, or they misunderstand what i'm trying to say.
look at all of the first-party peripherals for the DS: styli with video game characters on them? DS nintendo character skins? goofy looking travel cases? (please correct me if any of these are strictly third-party only)
i'm not trying to say that adults and hardcore gamers have no reason to get the DS. i have one, and i love it.
but i'm not going to blindly say that the DS was aimed at the same audience the PSP was. that's just ignint.
Actually that's not right, just look at the Pokemon franchise. Pokemon, the TCG, manga (Adventures/Special specifically), and the games (Which are the driving force) are not made specifically for kids, but rather for people of all ages (disregarding Pokemon Special/Adventure, which was made for teens onwards). However, the anime is, which leads people to believe the series as a whole is for kids, but it's not. Because of the popularity of the anime, the company started releasing merchandise and a game for kids (that one game being Pokepark).

It's the same way with the DS, just because it has a lot of fans who are children, may go to believe that it is a system who's audience is children, which in truth, isn't so.

Sorry, but Pokemon is aimed at kids/preadolescents. No way in hell I'll accept anyone who says otherwise. It gained appeal with everyone for the simplicity of the formula, but if the marketing is aimed at kids (better, the parents of these kids), that's who they want to buy the games mainly.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
machomuu said:
Shabutie78 said:
jan777 said:
Shabutie78 said:
Midna said:

laugh.gif

Sorry, but Pokemon is aimed at kids/preadolescents. No way in hell I'll accept anyone who says otherwise. It gained appeal with everyone for the simplicity of the formula, but if the marketing is aimed at kids (better, the parents of these kids), that's who they want to buy the games mainly.
The merchandising is based off of the show almost completely, which in turn is targeted for kids.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
One adds for the other. The games are part of the Pokémon franchise.
The core fanbase is composed of kids/preadolescents from 8 to 15.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
Well that is true, but that's not the target/intended audience. Plus I'd say the core audience is lower, maybe around 4 years of age beginning.

Also, you can really think of the anime as a completely separate entity as the games, just apart of the same franchise.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Maedhros said:
Well that is true, but that's not the target/intended audience. Plus I'd say the core audience is lower, maybe around 4 years of age beginning.

Also, you can really think of the anime as a completely separate entity as the games, just apart of the same franchise.

It definitely is the target audience, but people buy it regardless of age. Gears of War is aimed at the 17+ crowd (it's rated M, after all) but I'm sure there are tons of kids who are well under that age and buy Gears of War.

Pokemon is still hugely marketed at kids. The games started the show, which lead to a lot of merchandise and the games starting to become essentially merchandise as well.

smellyunicorn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have never been in direct competition, same with Wii and PS3/Xbox 360; less than 1/3 of games released on Wii are never released on the other two consoles.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
machomuu said:
Maedhros said:

It definitely is the target audience, but people buy it regardless of age. Gears of War is aimed at the 17+ crowd (it's rated M, after all) but I'm sure there are tons of kids who are well under that age and buy Gears of War.

Pokemon is still hugely marketed at kids. The games started the show, which lead to a lot of merchandise and the games starting to become essentially merchandise as well.
Well yes, the games did start the show, but similar to Digimon, the show was used to attract a crowd, and what better way to make your game popular than targeting your marketing device at kids. Also:
tSHOg8PMZ5E
Don't know why I posted that, but as a kid I always thought it to be so cruel.
But I do agree, it is largely marketed at kids.

...Not that any of this matters, I mean, this isn't going to end, not on a good note at least. It seems like "back and forth" crap that won't get us anywhere and will just end up derailing the thread. I'm done with that discussion here, though I would gladly continue elsewhere (not that I really feel like it, but if you guys want, by all means). That or we get some fact up in this joint, I really don't feel like researching, so it won't be coming from me.

iggloovortex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
iggloovortex said:
For example, Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The game LOOKS great and plays fine, but when it comes to doing certain actions and melee, you have to tap the screen. and you know that isnt really a problem, save for the fact that you actually HAVE to tap the screen. and those kind of things that slow down gameplay are what kill a system.
Optional. You can use the analog to do the same things. Like, you know... Uncharted.
well the extended gameplay video i saw was that and i understand that fact, however the tedious sections of lifting things and cutting with the machete seem to require the touch screen, as he didnt say you could do it another way

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iggloovortex said:
Maedhros said:
iggloovortex said:
well the extended gameplay video i saw was that and i understand that fact, however the tedious sections of lifting things and cutting with the machete seem to require the touch screen, as he didnt say you could do it another way
the creators specially said they wanted to keep the original uncharted controls in however they wanted too use features of the vita to create a more in depth experience but keep it optional

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iggloovortex said:
Maedhros said:
iggloovortex said:

If we watched the same video, or it could have been a feature/interview later, but yeah, they said afterwards that the touchscreen controls are optional. They probably didn't stress that during the gameplay demonstration because... well, when you are trying to advertise the features of your new console, telling your audience that they are potentially superfluous isn't a wise idea.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)