Sonic the Hedgehog 2 HD

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
maxd said:
@Hielkenator:

I respect your opinion, and I see what you mean that it is not the best use of effort. But it is an opportunity for artists and musicians to collaborate on something enormous. It's a labor of love for other fans of the original games to enjoy.

There are multiple reasons to NOT develop this for the Wii: the computing architecture would be incompatible with the engine, the number of people who could play it would be substantially lower (number of PC users vs. number of Wii owners), and the Wii is not as easy to program as a regular computer (in this specific case). And like taxman's Sonic CD port, their project would be rejected if submitted to SEGA for publishing since it was not developed in-house.

The group may later work on other games, but for now they believe that their time and talents are best used in remaking the game. Someday, other games and hacks (such as Sonic Megamix) may also be ported to the Sonic 2 HD engine and receive the same enhancements. (Also: people make ROM hacks because the company has a different idea of how the franchise should be run and played. Hardcore fans who know what type of gameplay they want turn to ROM hacks for entertainment when the original games start to feel stale.)

You are free to think what you think, but so are the operators and participants of the project.

I understand and respect that. Nothing but respect. But I still would love to see something completely original of their own, concidering their devotion towards the scene.
Maybe after this project?

QUOTE(TwinRetro @ Jan 19 2011, 03:25 AM) The ignorance in this thread is astounding.

You are not helping either....please stay on topic and say something usefull and meaningfull.
What you call ignorance, are actually opinions of other people.
Wich is what a forum is basicly for. Sharing opinions. Who's ignorant now?

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hielkenator I belive you are still the ignorant one that does not understand game development, business, or the most important anything about this project. Have you actually even visited the website and read up on what it is?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
purplesludge said:
Hielkenator I belive you are still the ignorant one that does not understand game development, business, or the most important anything about this project. Have you actually even visited the website and read up on what it is?

Yes, I did. Respect to all contibutors.
But that still means I can have a different opinion.
That doesn't make me ignorant.
If I were ignorant, I'd never post in this thread.

I too, can't wait for this project to be released.
Some people seem to miss that.

As I said before, it would be better "in MY opinion" to do something different than a sonic remake.
Even more considering the knowlegde and expertise from the contributors.
It's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. Without being ignorant and looking forward to this release.

purplesludge

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ignorance is the lack of knowledge which you showed little of in the three parts I mentioned.
Edit:Going to bed will check back in the morning.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
purplesludge said:
Ignorance is the lack of knowledge which you showed little of in the three parts I mentioned.

I'm just the "end user" not a contributor. So, that makes me ignorant?
It would be ignorant to call everybody "ignorant" that does'nt posses the "knowlegde" you "clearly "have.

I will be enjoying the game when it's finished, without having to worry about buisness or development.
rolleyes.gif

And while playing I'll hope for some more games from the staff ( hopefully a new franchise ).

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Hielkenator said:
purplesludge said:

It would be ignorant to call everybody "ignorant" that does'nt posses the "knowlegde" you "clearly "have.

I will be enjoying the game when it's finished, without having to worry about buisness or development.
rolleyes.gif

No, what's ignorant is commenting on how "unoriginal" or how "easy" it is to make a "sonic 2 clone with pretty graphics"

The end user doesnt require knowledge of a game to play it. However, commenting on the development of it, well, let's just say you better have created a few games yourself before shitting in someone elses backyard.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
TwinRetro said:
Hielkenator said:
purplesludge said:

rolleyes.gif

No, what's ignorant is commenting on how "unoriginal" or how "easy" it is to make a "sonic 2 clone with pretty graphics"

The end user doesnt require knowledge of a game to play it. However, commenting on the development of it, well, let's just say you better have created a few games yourself before shitting in someone elses backyard.

So that is why they are using a well know franchise?
Looks to me the developers are shitting right in front of SEGA's doorstep and saying: "look this is how to do a Sonic game! "
Talking about ignorance....

Anyway, I'm off to re-write The Bible...Only now with pictures..or maybe a movie...ah well, it'll be basicly the same story anyways, but just looks better.
I allready read the whole thing a dozen times...I'd better put in HD pictures, wich you have to look at with 3D glasses...and one or two new chapters...yeah that'll make it original.
Nobody will notice I basicly copied over the whole story. I'll write it by hand though, so it will feel like my own work. I'll just tell everybody I'm a very big fan!
That'll take care of the ignorant people.
Oh if you could just imagine the amount of work i'm gonna put in it! ...or am I better off writing a whole new story?...I wonder...

Now that's me being ignorant.

Please don't make this thread about me, stay on topic.

Whisky1981

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
He he, quite a war you have there
smile.gif

Ther is nothing wrong with remaking games. I am pretty excited about this project and it would be nice having people remaking old games with new technology. Everyone has a game from childhood that would like to replay in a new form.

Hey Discovery says taht ignorance is a bless
wink.gif

purplesludge

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The Sonic 2 HD (S2HD) is a Sonic Retro project. Its purpose is to remaster Sega's classic "Sonic the Hedgehog 2" with high definition (HD) graphics and music, whilst at the same time precisely preserving the original gameplay (that continues to set quality standards to this day). S2HD will not be limited only to presenting a beautiful graphical and musical version of the original. New features that were not present in the original will also be made available. Some examples are especially the online multiplayer modes and extra levels.
How about you read some about the project before you continue your ignorant commenting.

Just so you know the bible has been rewritten several times and there are many versions so no one will care if you add another. You obviously know nothing about programming because you just compared it to writing a book. You can't just look at a game and know the code while you can look at a book a change a few words. Programming requires far more effort than rewriting a book.

Obviously you don't understand my previous points. So I'll explain them.
Game development
You probably have never coded before in your life based on your statements. When you said it could be made with Contruct I instantly knew you had no clue what you are talking about. This also has nothing to do with roms or disassembling the source. Most of these things you would know if you had read their project page.

Business
Why don't they start a gamehouse themselves? Probably because they all live in different areas. There's also the need for the startup money. Developing games for wii. You needs an address in a business district or Nintendo won't let you develop for the wii. Not to mention it is not like developing for a pc and it costs money to get a development kit.

The Project

QUOTEFor a remake of 20 year old game it seems they are wasting their time to me, for a game that ultimately "just" looks better.
let alone hacking dissasembling the source.
SEGA would be stupid to let someone else [censored] their mascott. They can do that themselfs perfectly fine....
Looks to me the developers are shitting right in front of SEGA's doorstep and saying: "look this is how to do a Sonic game! "
I think your words speak for themselves. Who's ignorant now?

King Zargo

I'm a Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Nepal
TwinRetro said:
Har. real mature, guys. Glad to know this is what you resort to when you are completely obliterated in an argument.

Obliterated?

In our last argument I wrote about Sega and you snapped back at me and started posting stuff the about Sonic 2 HD developers and how I don't know shit about developing. That might be true but I never posted my opinion of the developers or the game you automatically assumed that I didn't like it.

Or you just want to increase you're post count by imagining conversations.

purplesludge

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
King Zargo said:
TwinRetro said:
Har. real mature, guys. Glad to know this is what you resort to when you are completely obliterated in an argument.

Obliterated?

In our last argument I wrote about Sega and you snapped back at me and started posting stuff the about Sonic 2 HD developers and how I don't know shit about developing. That might be true but I never posted my opinion of the developers or the game you automatically assumed that I didn't like it.

Or you just want to increase you're post count by imagining conversations.
Actually you said the developers just copied the game and added better graphics which is incorrect and insulting.

King Zargo

I'm a Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Nepal
purplesludge said:
Actually you said the developers just copied the game and added better graphics which is incorrect and insulting.
Isn't remaking Sonic 2 in HD graphics the goal? By doing so are they not copying the gameplay, level design and sound from Sonic 2? The entire game will be in the final product.

maxd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's very simple: most gamers do not know shit about developing games. That's 90% of GBAtemp. If you can't back your shit up, don't talk. I know my shit as a programmer, and as gamers (90%) of you only have opinions and metacritic scores to recite. Not knowledge, not experience in development. Talent is talent, and work is work, whether you appreciate it or not. But if you choose to do so, go rewrite the Bible, start a cult. It would be a better use of your time than bitching on a forum.

Opinions are never "right," only facts are. So here's the fact: Sonic 2 HD is something awesome, something complex, and will receive the highest praise from those of us who have actually tried to develop or reverse engineer a game. And as gamers, you have Sega themselves to thank for emulating the game on every major platform. If it weren't for that, perhaps the gameplay would be much fresher. Even if it doesn't float your boat, it will float hundreds of others.

purplesludge

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
King Zargo said:
purplesludge said:
Isn't remaking Sonic 2 in HD graphics the goal? By doing so are they not copying the gameplay, level design and sound from Sonic 2? The entire game will be in the final product.
Yes it will but they are not simply copying it. The engine they are using fixes the bugs and slowdowns from the original. The game is not just a copy with better graphics. Here are some of the features.
• Unlimited colours
• Hardware Acceleration (Direct 3d & OpenGL)
• 32bit Transparent PNG support (alpha channels enabled)
• Runs on Windows 7 / Vista / XP and WINE (other OS ports are planned)
• OGG music playback and looping
• A plethora of bugs fixed from Sonic 2's original physics
• Engine physics closely based upon community disassemblies to ensure accuracy
• Scalable engine built from the ground up in C++
• Sonic, Knuckles & Tails as fully playable characters

Edit: Forgot their goals
• Online multiplayer mode
• Fully functional level development kit for designing brand new zones
• New graphical effects when collecting rings, skidding, spin dashing, dust being kicked up when jumping and more
• New sound effects for certain areas of the game
• Remastered Special stages
• Animated ending sequence
• Extra zones (Hidden Palace)

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
sonknuck23 said:
Props to *snip* for this, they're pretty much the best Sonic fan community out there with no bullshit.
No bullshit lol!
rolleyes.gif
Trust me, for now you'll want to stay away from the site. They have some amazingly talented programmers and artist there, but there's a huge pissing war going on right now in this game's main discussion thread. The admins and staff are angry at the developers for pulling SEGA PR bullcrap and dropping the bomb on a huge reveal, mostly due to being promised things that never came. Also to do with using their bandwidth and servers. And also for screwing over their contributors who submitted art. From what i gather, it's a real mess and there's some question as to whether the project will be allowed anymore at the site (or whether it will continue on). One of the admins is furious at head of the project and has made some very harsh comments about the future of the project and its home at the site. The head is trying to talk to the admins and smooth things over, but they're still angry as hell.

Admins, staff, and tech members are even mad at each other. I've never seen such divisiveness, venom, and immaturity from forum staff before. At least not out in public for anyone to see (i'm sure staff members everywhere hate each other, but they usually don't reveal that to the general public and show how weak of leaders they are). They're acting like complete douchebags to EVERYONE, including lashing out at random members for no reason.

It's a mess. I would advise anyone to keep away from that specific topic for the time being. The site in general can act like rabid nuts at times, but I've never seen it this bad though.

@Giga_Gaia

If you think that's the only thing different about the graphics, go see an eye doctor ASAP.

I got my ROM hacking credence in the Sonic community and that's just how it is. Sad that the drama keeps coming back.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again