Sonic the Hedgehog 2 HD

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Canonbeat234 said:
Ok it looks good, that can be said about any trailer! SEGA is tired of making Sonic games, the reason they can't stop is because of the demands from fans. Yugi Naka wanted the whole Sonic franchise to die, it couldn't due to popularity it had gained. You can't kill something that has a life of its own. So SEGA keeps continuing spewing out halfass games with no compassion behind it. (Don't give me, 'Sonic Colors' was awesome,) That game was a beta tester, a price game only to get you loving it till you it was too short! No, SÉGA did that on purpose so they don't overused the gimmick on the gameplay!

Look at what SEGA is reduce too, remaking 2D levels into 3D levels from 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles? IF they couldn't make FOUR lzones a remark masterpiece for Sonic 4: Episode I? What makes you think their chances of success in remaking the classic levels? Huh?!?

Colors rocks, I continuosly come back to that game to play levels over, its got a great replay value. Sure its a bit short, but I don't think thats a bad thing, I'd rather they didn't try and force something, more levels could have made paced the game down and I could have ended up bored with it. But alas, that did not happen with Colors. Having said that, Colors is by far the best sonic game in a long time (though I never played the rush games and they were supposedly pretty good), its a shame that they can't make more games like Colors instead of all the shitty sonic games we do get.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All they did is stretch the screen to make it look like HD. Don't know why it's taking them so long to release that.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sonknuck23 said:
Props to *snip* for this, they're pretty much the best Sonic fan community out there with no bullshit.
No bullshit lol!
rolleyes.gif
Trust me, for now you'll want to stay away from the site. They have some amazingly talented programmers and artist there, but there's a huge pissing war going on right now in this game's main discussion thread. The admins and staff are angry at the developers for pulling SEGA PR bullcrap and dropping the bomb on a huge reveal, mostly due to being promised things that never came. Also to do with using their bandwidth and servers. And also for screwing over their contributors who submitted art. From what i gather, it's a real mess and there's some question as to whether the project will be allowed anymore at the site (or whether it will continue on). One of the admins is furious at head of the project and has made some very harsh comments about the future of the project and its home at the site. The head is trying to talk to the admins and smooth things over, but they're still angry as hell.

Admins, staff, and tech members are even mad at each other. I've never seen such divisiveness, venom, and immaturity from forum staff before. At least not out in public for anyone to see (i'm sure staff members everywhere hate each other, but they usually don't reveal that to the general public and show how weak of leaders they are). They're acting like complete douchebags to EVERYONE, including lashing out at random members for no reason.

It's a mess. I would advise anyone to keep away from that specific topic for the time being. The site in general can act like rabid nuts at times, but I've never seen it this bad though.

@Giga_Gaia

If you think that's the only thing different about the graphics, go see an eye doctor ASAP.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Clxmj said:
Still bemuses us how Sega/S Team cant do anything like this and a bunch of loyal fans can..
For one, it's not that Sonic Team CANT do this, but why would they do this? Take a look at recent Sonic games and tell me that Sega are incapable of making a simple game like Sonic 2 with graphics of this standard. , I mean any idiot with a computer these days can change level designs, backgrounds etc in Sonic games by reading up online about it. \my opinion on why Sega never updated any retro version of sonic to HD, is why would you try to improve a flawless classic by wasting time on improving graphics? you just wouldn't do that, if they wanted to they'd have done it but instead they're looking forwards to future game releases.
rolleyes.gif

dragon574444 said:
Nice! Now THIS is what Sega should be doing themselves.
to be fair you're not saying that they can't do it, just saying they should haha, but like i said, i think the reason they haven't is because there was nothing wrong with the original.

_Chaz_ said:
I believe SEGA should now turn over the rights to Sonic over to these fine people. They will treat him right.
how is that true?
closedeyes.gif
they're a very successful company with the ability to create the classic sonic that this game is based on, without the team they had 19 years ago you might not have had this version today. they're all legends.

QUOTE(Vigilante @ Jan 16 2011, 02:41 PM)
Indie team vs Sega= sega epic lose
i remember seeing a screenshot of sonic HD around 2008, maybe the beginning of the project? not sure how long it's being going on for, but it thats right then think about this...

Indie Team, 3 years (so far) for old classic remake.

Sonic Team, in 3 years have made around 11 games from 2008 till now, but thats including 2 compilations of old games which they COULD have made HD if they really wanted. If it was left to Indie team we'd have a very very slow output of sonic.
nayps3.gif

these sort of comments just make me upset that anyone could be so DUHHHHHHHH...

The capability of making games back in 1992 wasn't as great as it is today, no one knew about HD technology so how could a game be created with HD graphics when HD wasn't available? Especially on a 16-bit console, it's impossible for the time!

Sega/ Sonic Team could probably make the Sonic 2 HD game new in weeks with HD graphics, they just need to make it for a console capable of 1080p output, sonic is a simple game to make with the right people on the job!

this isn't a flame towards Sonic 2 HD, i really like the look of it, just wish it was available for wii mega drive emulator but since the genesis was incapable of nearly everything this version has to offer and the highest output it has is 480p we'd still be sitting in the dark with it! the only hope is a port of HD but settle for 480p on our wii's
wink.gif

too bad considering i have this 50" 3D HD TV sitting in the living room but the only console i have is a wii plugged into the AV
laugh.gif

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I believe Sonic 4 is proof Sega isn't capable of doing something like this.
Development on this started a little bit over a year ago.
Also the game compilations couldn't be made hd since they are emulated and are still technically limited by their original console specs.
Making a bunch of Sonic games is no special feat when most of them are bad. The highest scoring sonic game on Metacritic is Sonic 4 wii at 81. The rest of the games are generally in the 50s or 70s.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic Team have proven themselves incapable of replicating the gameplay in the classic Sonic games, even when they try to do exactly that (which they did with Sonic 4). They are so incapable of it that they employ Dimps to try to do it. Dimps at least made a decent representation of the classic physics once (Sonic Advance). It wasn't perfect by any means, but it's the closest we've gotten to doing it right since the old Genesis games. And that's more than Sega can claim anymore. Almost all the original programmers are long gone.

Also, when they decide to rerelease their old games (for every system out there btw), they have been known to hire amateur emulator developers such as Kega Fusion's Steven Snake or JenesisDS' Lordus. This either shows laziness or incompetence at not doing it themselves, or both.

I'm no fanboy by any means. I don't nitpick on dumb shit like green eyes or whatnot. And I actually enjoyed Sonic 4 and Colors. But you just have to face facts about the gameplay quality. There's no better example on how incompetent Sega has gotten with Sonic than 2006's Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis on GBA.

Compare SEGA's own effort (plays 10x worse than it looks)-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmN5eDIOJqY

With amateur hacker and programmer Stealth's own port of the same game to the same system-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFwxF-7vSrQ

Honestly, when i see comments like "SEGA should do this", i would be inclined to disagree. On the grounds that if SEGA did it, they'd screw it up.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think posting the link here is considered piracy in any way since it's a fangame and contains no original copyrighted code, so no need to be a smartass about google, unless you were trying to tell people not to be lazy. Sonic Fan Remix has an official website, and there's a big download button in the middle right below the logo (demo is almost 100MB)-
http://sonicfanremix.com/

Getting a bit offtopic though i guess, lets try to keep this about Sonic 2 HD.

Chaz.

Trophies
XP
Country
I just watched it on my phone, I could tell the difference straight away! Can't wait for the release!

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
TwinRetro said:
King Zargo said:
TwinRetro said:
You know, Sega, it's really sad when a handful of amateurs can make a better game than you can. ITS YOUR FUCKING FRANCHISE! If you were smart, you would have these folks on your payroll instead of doing the obvious, which is issue a C&D and kill any chance you have of bringing your fans back.
They are totally copying a game Sega made and just upgrading the graphics? Sega doesn't need to hire special people for this.

Until you know anything about video games besides just playing them, just don't open your mouth. You show how truly ignorant you really are. This isn't Sonic 2 with just a fresh coat of paint. Sega didn't hand over the source of the game and just said "Okay, have at it guys, have fun!" Which means that they for one needed to do the level designs by scratch, and the physics engine also by scratch. That, i'm sure is miles above what you are capable of, i'll bet my left testicle on that.

Lost your right one in another bet?

HD does'nt mean anything to me. And for a PC game the resolution is rather low. Unless you have a big ass monitor or tv it does'nt really justify the HD in this game.
I ask you: what's better? a 22'HD tv or a 110'HD tv? It's the same resolution.
Nice way to hype this. It's just Sonic 2 with better graphics. SO WHAT? Not original in ANY way. Anybody can do this in Contruct ( www.scirra.com )

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
SEGA please sedate the blue hedgehog, please? Just stop making Sonic games for a good while, it needs a rest.

On-Topic: why are you people getting hype by a trailer?! Anyone can make a good trailer, geez. The fact is SEGA needs to not make a Sonic game after this year. It's getting to the point where their ideas are fusing into one big cluster of WTF. How much you want to bet that a sequel of Sonic 2006 is going to come out within the next 2 to 3 years?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Canonbeat234 said:
SEGA please sedate the blue hedgehog, please? Just stop making Sonic games for a good while, it needs a rest.

On-Topic: why are you people getting hype by a trailer?! Anyone can make a good trailer, geez. The fact is SEGA needs to not make a Sonic game after this year. It's getting to the point where their ideas are fusing into one big cluster of WTF. How much you want to bet that a sequel of Sonic 2006 is going to come out within the next 2 to 3 years?

Well'for one, this is not made by SEGA.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Hielkenator said:
Canonbeat234 said:

Well'for one, this is not made by SEGA.

I know that, I never said it was made by them. Sonic fans have a deep compassion to remake classics just so they can boast and do their victory jig of proving that they can deliver. In all reality, it just remodeling and enhancing the graphics. How many times have we seen this? SEGA vow to themselves that they will never look back, this is a lie since Sonic 4 was made to be like the classics. So......SEGA doesn't want to improve on the classics but remodlfy the gameplay to emulate as the classics...no, why SEGA don't lolwut me!

maxd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since all of you nay-sayers have your heads shoved up your asses, I'll shine a light on what you do not know.

Sonic Retro is a site that has a fanbase and ROM hacking community that has gone farther than any other community (with the exception of the Pokemon hacking community) in terms of hacking progress and complexity of said hacks. The collection of hackers and hobbyists have disassembled the games using IDA Pro and labeled the ROMS extensively for both Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. In fact, the games are so well understood that a forum member named "taxman" wrote an engine that is a perfect replica of the original Sonic 1-3K physics engine. At one point he had even rewritten the entirety of Sonic CD (which has not been disassembled yet) to run natively on the iPhone and submitted it to Sega (they rejected it because it was not developed in-house). Another programmer named LOst allowed the use of his own perfect engine also written from scratch to be used for Sonic 2 HD.

Sonic 2 HD is a huge undertaking that has been given positive attention not only on Sonic Retro but also Destructoid and Sega's own Sonic 4 forum. Sega PR (for example: RubyEclipse) people even are registered users on Sonic Retro and acknowledge the project's existence and goal. The engine uses vector graphics that are carefully drawn so that they can be upscaled to incredibly large resolutions so HD is HD. The point of it is to pay tribute to one of the best Sonic games of all time.

The team plans to release it for PC only since the vector graphics are extremely reliant on the x86 architecture. The game has come a long way from just a screenshot, and I can assure you that the build in the video is indeed playable. The issue is finalizing art and overall efficiency of the game for maximum compatibility and aesthetic appeal.

Do not poo-poo something you don't understand the inner workings of, these fans have gone far above the regular standard for fangames. Sonic Fan Remix is an independent fan game that takes cues from the old games and will feature new levels, art and enemies. Sonic Fan Remix pursues a different endeavor than Sonic 2 HD. All we can hope for is to see both projects see releases. Sonic 2 HD is not just a fan-remake, it is a statement about how far the Sonic hacking and research community has gone, how well they can organize themselves to work on such a massive project, and it foreshadows how far the scene will stretch in the coming years.

EDIT: grammar

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
maxd said:
Since all of you nay-sayers have your heads shoved up your asses, I'll shine a light on what you do not know.

Sonic Retro is a site that has a fanbase and ROM hacking community that has gone farther than any other community (with the exception of the Pokemon hacking community) in terms of hacking progress and complexity of said hacks. The collection of hackers and hobbyists have disassembled the games using IDA Pro and labeled the ROMS extensively for both Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. In fact, the games are so well understood that a forum member named "taxman" wrote an engine that is a perfect replica of the original Sonic 1-3K physics engine. At one point he had even rewritten the entirety of Sonic CD (which has not been disassembled yet) to run natively on the iPhone and submitted it to Sega (they rejected it because it was not developed in-house). Another programmer named LOst allowed the use of his own perfect engine also written from scratch to be used for Sonic 2 HD.

Sonic 2 HD is a huge undertaking that has been given positive attention not only on Sonic Retro but also Destructoid and Sega's own Sonic 4 forum. Sega PR (for example: RubyEclipse) people even are registered users on Sonic Retro and acknowledge the project's existence and goal. The engine uses vector graphics that are carefully drawn so that they can be upscaled to incredibly large resolutions so HD is HD. The point of it is to pay tribute to one of the best Sonic games of all time.

The team plans to release it for PC only since the vector graphics are extremely reliant on the x86 architecture. The game has come a long way from just a screenshot, and I can assure you that the build in the video is indeed playable. The issue is finalizing art and overall efficiency of the game for maximum compatibility and aesthetic appeal.

Do not poo-poo something you don't understand the inner workings of, these fans have gone far above the regular standard for fangames. Sonic Fan Remix is an independent fan game that takes cues from the old games and will feature new levels, art and enemies. Sonic Fan Remix pursues a different endeavor than Sonic 2 HD. All we can hope for is to see both projects see releases. Sonic 2 HD is not just a fan-remake, it is a statement about how far the Sonic hacking and research community has gone, how well they can organize themselves to work on such a massive project, and it foreshadows how far the scene will stretch in the coming years.

EDIT: grammar

I've seen lots of these scene developed games.
Why make a game this big, with all that knowlegde, to this extent?

Looking at the organisation involved making this project reality, why don't they start a gamehouse themselfs?
For a remake of 20 year old game it seems they are wasting their time to me, for a game that ultimately "just" looks better.
Let them make someting original and condone to the Wiiware library.
Lots of companies do that.

QUOTEDo not poo-poo something you don't understand the inner workings of, these fans have gone far above the regular standard for fangames. Sonic Fan Remix is an independent fan game that takes cues from the old games and will feature new levels, art and enemies. Sonic Fan Remix pursues a different endeavor than Sonic 2 HD. All we can hope for is to see both projects see releases. Sonic 2 HD is not just a fan-remake, it is a statement about how far the Sonic hacking and research community has gone, how well they can organize themselves to work on such a massive project, and it foreshadows how far the scene will stretch in the coming years.

I could'nt care less for the inner workings.
A few years ago, hacking roms etc. was considered illegal. I wonder if SEGA will go along with it.
Nintendo, for one, has done drastic things in the past concerning fanmade games, let alone hacking dissasembling the source.
SEGA would be stupid to let someone else [censored] their mascott. They can do that themselfs perfectly fine....

Whisky1981

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
This is great!!!!

I`ll get it as soon as it arrives
smile.gif

But I want Alex Kidd in Miracle World HD !!!!!!!!!

Will I live to see that day?
smile.gif

maxd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Hielkenator:

I respect your opinion, and I see what you mean that it is not the best use of effort. But it is an opportunity for artists and musicians to collaborate on something enormous. It's a labor of love for other fans of the original games to enjoy.

There are multiple reasons to NOT develop this for the Wii: the computing architecture would be incompatible with the engine, the number of people who could play it would be substantially lower (number of PC users vs. number of Wii owners), and the Wii is not as easy to program as a regular computer (in this specific case). And like taxman's Sonic CD port, their project would be rejected if submitted to SEGA for publishing since it was not developed in-house.

The group may later work on other games, but for now they believe that their time and talents are best used in remaking the game. Someday, other games and hacks (such as Sonic Megamix) may also be ported to the Sonic 2 HD engine and receive the same enhancements. (Also: people make ROM hacks because the company has a different idea of how the franchise should be run and played. Hardcore fans who know what type of gameplay they want turn to ROM hacks for entertainment when the original games start to feel stale.)

You are free to think what you think, but so are the operators and participants of the project.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.