Hacking Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing MENU UPDATE?

mabhz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi!

I have a 4.0U system version NTSC-U Wii and i downloaded Sonic and Sega All Stars, and it asks me for a system update before allowing me to play.

I searched the forum and googled, but i couldnt find out exactly which version of the system menu this game will update my console.

I DONT want to update to 4.2 yet, and i dont want to install homebrew channel and do the updates manually, so, could someone PLEASE tell me if Sonic and Sega All Stars it will upgrade my system to 4.1 or to the latest 4.2???

Also, will it asks me to download the update from the web or will it install from the disk itself?

THANKS a lot for any help!!

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno. Just run the thing in Gecko OS and it will install the IOS the game wants to use. BAM, no more pesky system update prompt.

mabhz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
THanks for the reply, but i guess you didt read my post with attention....

I dont want to install any homebrew or any hack on my console. I want to keep it completely original, except for the Cyclowiz.

So the only info i really need is which update the Sega and Sonic Racing will install. Also i would like to now if it will connect to the internt to perform it or it will install from the disc itself.

If anyone has this information, please, share with me!

And i repeat: i DONT want to install anything manually using any kind of hack.

Thanks!

DarkShadow96

LA96£
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, you said your on 4.1 so I reckon it'll be updated to 4.2 if its asking you to update to. Easiest way I guess is to remove the update partition on the iso and make a new DvD since you don't want to do anything homebrew related.

Also, when games ask to update your firmware, it updates through the game disc not through the internet as far as I know.

mabhz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Jesus, nobody reads my post.........laughs....

I said: "I have a 4.0U system version NTSC-U Wii and...."

So, im on 4.0, and NOT 4.1!

ANYONE who ACTUALLY OWNS this game and that installed the update could PLEASE tell me which version of the menu you ended up with?? 4.1 or 4.2??

If you DONT have this game, or never witnessed the update process of this game on a older menu version console, thank you very much, but please dont post! Thanks.

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What davidnlta said. It has 4.2U on it, which will break region free for all modchips.
And the update is on the disc itself.

DarkShadow96

LA96£
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
What a rude person that expects to get answers(and you didn't even read my answer fully either)... Bah, I skimmed through it. Well anyway, like what I said in my previous post and what davidnlta said.

mabhz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
First of all, THANK YOU VERY MUCH mr.Davidnlta and mr.Damysteryman! I guess i will have to wait to run this game then!! :-)

Mr.Darkshadow, Im sorry that you felt hurt, sir, but i dont think i was rude. You, in the other hand, acted like a lot of folks on foruns act today: people are "post-happy", they love to post, even if they dont know what they are talking about, even if they dont know the answer. They "assume" something and then go for it.

But dont worry, i posted the same question in three other foruns and ALL the answers i got where like yours. Most people where trying to convince me to use hacks and homebrews to update, even though i made it clear in the initial post that i didnt want to use any sort of hack. I think theres a lost art of "answering what was asked" nowadays!!

And dont get me wrong, even though im not an expert on wii matters, i do have my area of expertise and i gladly offer my knowledge on a daily basis to those who might benefit from it. But one thing im always very adamant about is never wasting my time or the readers time by aswering something out of what was asked. :-)

I still dont think i was any rude, considering that you posted a pointless post, and i posted a reply directed on trying to avoid other posts like yours, but nevertheless if you still think i was, i do apologize.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well, you don't want to update, but why even?

You have no homebrew, so there's no reason you wouldn't be able to update.
It's not like 4.2 magically bricks it or something...

If I were you (which I'm not
tongue.gif
) and didn't have any homebrew/modchip, I'd just update...

But it's up to you of course

hughjass

Trophies
Website
www.marcreeves.co.uk
XP
Country
Just update, no reason not to. Don't know why you're bothered about having homebrew or IOS on your system, seeing as you have a modchip. It's the same thing, just software based instead of hardware. And hardware is a lot more permanent, so....yeah, but I guess you have your reasons, just seems strange to me.

mabhz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for all the answer, folks. I really appreciate it!

My only concern about upgrading to 4.2U is because im afraid it might change some "system files" that might prevent me from doing some hacking in the future, in case i want to.

It happend to Xbox360 last year, there was a system update that "closed" a door on the system (NAND??) that allowed to use the JTAG exploit, and only the people that didnt apply that update are able to run a lot of nice hacks on the xbox 360 console. If i had done a backup of my NAND at that time, i would also be able to fix some of the problems that being banned brought to my console.

So, bottonline, i would like to learn exactly what backups i could do on my Wii to prevent that sort of thing from happening. Id like to have a backup of the most important system and motherboard files before applying 4.2. So i need to do some reasearch and find out exactly WHAT to backup (NAND? DVD drive key?) and HOW!

if anyone could help me on that, i would appreciate!

thanks....

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
mabhz said:
So, bottonline, i would like to learn exactly what backups i could do on my Wii to prevent that sort of thing from happening. Id like to have a backup of the most important system and motherboard files before applying 4.2. So i need to do some reasearch and find out exactly WHAT to backup (NAND? DVD drive key?) and HOW!

if anyone could help me on that, i would appreciate!

thanks....
4.2 doesn't close anything you needed (besides Region-Free, but you can enable it again with Startpatch/Priiloader). Team Twiizers still has many exploits left, so something like the XBox360-Fiasko probably won't happen. Also Nintendo isn't that aggressive...and if they are, they are sloppy with patching, and a workaround will be found in around a day
tongue.gif

Software:
You can Backup your whole NAND with BootMii (as Boot v2 prefered), and restore any Backup you've done. It's the closest one to your description. Though Nintendo started to overwrite Boot v2 with 4.2, so when a next update is here, you probably can't downgrade/restore, because BootMii got overwritten.

Safest Way would be to have your whole NAND on SD/USB with SNEEK. Whatever you'll do (update, brick, etc.) it will only happen on the SD/USB, and not on the real NAND. You'll also gain more Space. Though, it can be pretty slow and bitchy.

Hardware:
I think an Infectus-Chip is also an opinion. Though it's realy hard to solder it on/etc. But I don't know much about it, so, I could be wrong here...

newby1976

Trophies
XP
Country
4.2 is just as hackable as any previous system menu, but you can make a nand backup of 4.0 if you wish to go back to (cant see the point myself though) ..... most of the info is it the first sticky in the forum

TheWarDragon

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mabhz said:
First of all, THANK YOU VERY MUCH mr.Davidnlta and mr.Damysteryman! I guess i will have to wait to run this game then!! :-)

Mr.Darkshadow, Im sorry that you felt hurt, sir, but i dont think i was rude. You, in the other hand, acted like a lot of folks on foruns act today: people are "post-happy", they love to post, even if they dont know what they are talking about, even if they dont know the answer. They "assume" something and then go for it.

But dont worry, i posted the same question in three other foruns and ALL the answers i got where like yours. Most people where trying to convince me to use hacks and homebrews to update, even though i made it clear in the initial post that i didnt want to use any sort of hack. I think theres a lost art of "answering what was asked" nowadays!!

And dont get me wrong, even though im not an expert on wii matters, i do have my area of expertise and i gladly offer my knowledge on a daily basis to those who might benefit from it. But one thing im always very adamant about is never wasting my time or the readers time by aswering something out of what was asked. :-)

I still dont think i was any rude, considering that you posted a pointless post, and i posted a reply directed on trying to avoid other posts like yours, but nevertheless if you still think i was, i do apologize.
If you would have read the replies you would see that you can remove the update partition of ANY game using wiiscrubber on your pc. Instead of "waiting to play" certain games bcuz u dont want to update for no reason at all.

EDIT: i see now your reasoning for not updating and its based on absolutely nothing but misinformation. Bad enuff being stubborn bcuz "you dont want to" but not wanting to because your reason is total bullshit.

mabhz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
elimist said:
You can still hack 4.2, a lot of people have and, dosen't your modchip block sys menu updates?

I really dont know!!

Does it????

One good thing about the Cyclowiz is that i can turn it off whenever i want.

But does it blocks sys menu updates???

mabhz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
TheWarDragon said:
If you would have read the replies you would see that you can remove the update partition of ANY game using wiiscrubber on your pc. Instead of "waiting to play" certain games bcuz u dont want to update for no reason at all.

EDIT: i see now your reasoning for not updating and its based on absolutely nothing but misinformation. Bad enuff being stubborn bcuz "you dont want to" but not wanting to because your reason is total bullshit.

Wrong assumption! I know that very well, and for quite a long time. I just DONT WANT to do it. Id rather have the full game untampered on my discs, rather then a messed up one. Thats also the reason i dont burn scrubbed version either.

But hey! Last time i checked we were all free to have our own opinions and do whatever the hell we pleased with the stuff we purchased with our own money!! Or did it get changed and i missed the memo?? Besides, im not a geek teenager anymore who likes to mess around with everything he can just because he, well, can.

But thanks for mentioning. Im sure lots of people will benefit from this info.

TheWarDragon

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Id rather have the full game untampered on my discs, rather then a messed up one

You obviously dont have a clue what youre talking about.
if you mess it up youre an idiot D whatever u want tho but youre making it way harder on yorself because you think something that is not

mabhz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
TheWarDragon said:
QUOTE said:
Id rather have the full game untampered on my discs, rather then a messed up one

You obviously dont have a clue what youre talking about.
if you mess it up youre an idiot D whatever u want tho but youre making it way harder on yorself because you think something that is not

I didnt express myself correctly, i apologize. My poor english skills. When i say "messed up" i dont mean "screwed up", "damaged" or that something is wrong with it. I just wanted to mean a disc that was modified, not original anymore, like scrubbed ones, etc, etc. But thanks for the comment!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol