Something about R4

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by tangyi, Sep 16, 2008.

Sep 16, 2008

Something about R4 by tangyi at 3:38 AM (8,234 Views / 0 Likes) 34 replies

1. tangyi
    OP

Newcomer tangyi Member

China
    It's little bit awful that I saw those threads about various kinds of R4s on GBAtemp.
    The impression brings me that game fans in the region out of China knows a little about the real status of flashcard.
    Please allow me to declare it, mainly on R4 (anyone wanna know other cards post to let know).
    You can deny but don't miss it.

This thread is Something about the 2nd generation of R4 -- R4 SDHC, in official

It was post on my blog.Any question and suggestion welcome.

Section I -- What is SDHC?
    The table shows the development of SD memory card criterion. SD Card Association established new SD Memory Card Specifications 2.0 on May, 2006 since the urgent demand of video technology and real time R/W speed, which SDHC belongs to.
    The revolution upgrades the R/W speed as well as supports the larger capacity. It's a big contribution of R4 SDHC to support huge-sized DS game and multi-function software in the future.

Criterion Version Class R/W Speed Max Capacity Support
    SD 1.1 Class 1 1M/s 4G
    SD 2.0 Class 2 2M/s 8G
    SD 2.0 Class 4 4M/s 16G
    SD 2.0 Class 6 6M/s 32G

Section II -- New Function
    There're two new functions mentioned in the official guide: DLDI auto-patching and Full download play support.

Section III -- Package & appearance
    There is no more different but a big 'new' brand on the right corner and white 'SDHC' printed after R4 logo. We can also see SDHC support description at the back cover. The inner side still sets the same style as R4 does, one card box and a USB2.0 card reader. Add SDHC logo at the front of the card.
    The card is re-designed without spring slot so players don't afraid that their card may get stuck. One more to mention, R4 SDHC has no shell to protect its gold fingers. And it can be inserted and pushed out of the DS with ease since it is thinner than other flashcards.
    It’s a little pity there is no change for the R4 SDHC interface except auto-changing skin by month. Also all cheat codes on R4 are compatible.

Section IV -- The Kernel
    R4 SDHC kernel is incompatible with R4's (It's important since it distinguishes the real R4 and other forms of R4 flashcard), the latest version is 1.21, you can download it from the official site (http://www.r4sdhc.com/) and copy it to your card to replace the original one.

Section V -- Games & software
    Report from some Chinese DS BBS shows that R4 SDHC can run most DS games and majority of software without accident. It also shows perfect representation to Emulators on DS.

Software
    ImgView 1.1 -- Pass
    Comic Book DS 3.0 -- Pass
    M3Sakura -- Pass
    nesDS -- Pass
    snesDS -- Pass
    neoDS 0.2 -- Lag on Metal Slug

Games
    Super Mario 64 DS -- Pass
    Summon Night 2 -- Pass
    Final Fantasy 12 -- Pass
    Castlevania ROP -- Pass
    Sigma Harmony -- Pass
    Band Brothers DX -- Pass

Summary
    Since the multimedia player function is widely used with emphasis. R4 SDHC updates its CPU to supports 32G TF at max. More, it can be know from those fake R4 by the new design of PCB and kernel. Although it is no more than a new version of R4, still we can look ahead a bright future on this classic flashcard.

2. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    what are you declaring? that you bought a clone kit and you like it?

confusing post but you did present the straight forward facts.

cheers,
    -another world

3. LuOmeoga

Member LuOmeoga GBAtemp Regular

United States
    XP

4. tangyi
    OP

Newcomer tangyi Member

China
    to Another World
    hey guy thx for your post.
    I surprise you reply so fast at first.
    I said I just let the friends form North America and Euro know the R4's situation in China. Not complain or anything else.
    Real or fake it depends on the feedback of users.

5. aero125

Newcomer aero125 Advanced Member

Singapore
    tangyi, v1.21 is not compatible to R4 unless and until the fw is being R4crypted. I have tried, v1.21 runs on my R4, exactly like my R4 in v1.18, but nothing more ( except the SDHC, which i can't comment ). Games that worked in v1.18 have continued to work in v1.21, games that failed have also continued to fail.

Have u tried v1.21 on Hulk, carnival games, Rikku (Jap) ... without arm7 patching ? If they don't, v1.21 is nothing more than the v1.18.

R4 was my first flash cart and I had derived a lot of fun on those days from Pokemon Diamond to FFIII .... I just hope that the cart will live on with updates continuing beyond v1.18

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I think narin looked at each firmware and said there is nothing different besides some little hex edits that do nothing, no updates are actually in the update

7. Raymond_M

Newcomer Raymond_M Newbie

China
    I have tried v1.21 on Hulk, carnival games ... without arm7 patching,they are all ok.

by the way, v1.21 is much larger then v1.18,how can you say "there is nothing different besides some

little hex edits that do nothing"

8. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=1379517

9. Raymond_M

China
    Just download all the kernals,you will find that he missed somthing.

10. tangyi
    OP

Newcomer tangyi Member

China
    to aero125
    the game 2341 - Hulk (E). 2352 - Hulk (U). has been solved in ver 1.19
    I don't have 2443 - Carnival Games (U) so I'm sorry I can't give you the correct answer right now.
    Could you pls show me the full name or catalog No. of Rikku (Jap) ? I can't recognise this game. thx.

The save problemes on game 2420 - Nanashi no Game (JP) and 2385 - Daigasso! Band Brothers DX (JP) has been solved in ver 1.20

One more I doubt that how can you use the SDHC kernel on original R4. And that's may the point why those games can't run on your R4.

-------------added after seeing your post-------------

SDHC kernel can be worked on original R4 according to your post,but it's still a question whether the original R4 supports the new function of SDHC?
    Besides it's a good way to try, good DIY [​IMG]

11. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    SDHC is hardware dependent
    new software just cant make it work

as far as the kernels are concerned
    first thing is 1.21 contains a themes folder which is almost 6MB
    the 1.18 doesnt contain any such folder
    now the cheat file
    its almost 1.5MB larger in the 1.21 compared to 1.18

theres a lot of the extra bulk
    the rest is in the _DS_MENU.dat
    im not gonna go into the hex and such, but as narin said its most likely garbage hex to take up space and some hex to allow the cart and firmware to use SDHC

12. Raymond_M

China
    Maby the "garbage hex " make the new games work.

It means v1.21 really do something that v1.18 can not do.

13. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South

14. ozzymud

Member ozzymud GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just confirmed that my R4-III with the 9-11-2008 v3.03 firmware plays both:
    2443 Carnival Games (US).nds
    2341 Incredible Hulk, The (US).nds
    I too dunno what game "Rikku (Jap)" is? is there a # for it in the romlists?

Think im gonna see if the R4 SDHC firmware will work on my III... what im wondering now is which is the "new" clone, heh... the SDHC or the III... either way, sounds like neither of us had had issues with our clone/fake/whatever R4s [​IMG]

15. tangyi
    OP

Newcomer tangyi Member

China
    Thanks psycoblaster you bring me some news I've ever seen in domestic BBS.
    SDHC version emphasizes those two Functions on R4's package, which the original one does not.
    I got your hint that the change of package does not equal to the change of product itself, however the new one supports some games the original does not.
    Thanks you mention the part of firmware, I really ignore it but it's important.
    Let me check it out, thing goes interesting indeed [​IMG]

16. ozzymud

United States
    Ok, just downloaded the massivly sized 1.21 firmware for the SDHC version, It does not work on my R4-III, gets to a loading screen and that's it (even tried r4crypt to decrypt and still only the loading screen).

Also I noticed the v1.21 for the R4 SDHC is dated 8-7-2008, the v3.03 for the R4-III is dated 9-11-2008 (still dunno what's changed, no changelog was posted for it)

Is there a list of other games that have issues on the R4? So far all mentioned that i could find have worked on my "fake"

17. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    remember- some games can be supported by the smallest tweak possible [​IMG]

18. tangyi
    OP

Newcomer tangyi Member

China
    There is no full list about problematic games.
    I just list some I know: 1321,1393,2443,2493 and those can be solved with arm7 patch.
    I commend 3 ways when you meet issue on R4.
    1. Check your ROM.
    2. Re-install the kernel.
    3. Format your flashcard.

19. ozzymud

United States
    Just loaded a game from the list at http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/R4_compatibility_list

Dunno if that list is outdated or not, but the game:
    2278 Yume Neko DS (J)(iND) 1.18 White screen, game doesn't start
    loaded fine on my R4-III (youtube video here)

Is that list current? If not, what other games could be tested?
    Edit: anyone know some games that dont have a simple "fix" for em, like the arm7 patch, hopefully 2278 is one of those, would be nice to know my R4 will continue to be updated.

Whatcha mean? talking about how the clone peoples could just be hacking the rom and not have the source to properly edit? or?

20. r6306

Newcomer r6306 Member

United Kingdom
    Tangyi are you trying to say that the R4 SDHC is a new 'real' R4 card running the updated 1.21 kernel and that this kernel can distinguish between the real R4 SDHC and original Real R4? I can confirm that the 1.21 kernal does not work on the R4 clones. Posted this in another thread but here is the result if you try to install it on an R4 Advance...
    [​IMG]