ROM Hack Soma Bringer Open Translation

arcademaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ndpndnt16 said:
just want to interview you darthnemesis....what is your next project any plans?people will ask this in future too

Don't you think he has enough on his plate with this one for now? Unlike most of the projects here this is aiming to be complete, not just a few engrished menues. This kind of projects take lots of time.

wischmop

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
DarthNemesis said:
wischmop said:
DarthNemesis said:
Any feedback on the title menu?
If someone can give me a screenshot of the title menu, or somehow extract the graphics from the game itself, I can pass it to my brother. (in fact, if I start the game with an emulator, you can't see the starting screen and the controls are screwed :wtf:)

If then someone can re-insert the graphics then it'll be fine. ;D
somabringertitleif5.png
somatranstitleax4.png
Uhm... oops. Sorry, I was kinda slow.
biggrin.gif
I thought it the other way round. I should re-patch the game from time to time.
wacko.gif

Looks quite cool, but somehow the g from "Single Player" is cut at the bottom, seems that the font is a little bit too big. Have you tried more filigree fonts that somehow would fit to the title font or so?
smile.gif

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wischmop said:
somehow the g from "Single Player" is cut at the bottom, seems that the font is a little bit too big.Nope, that's just the style of the font. But anyway, if you find something you think might be a better fit, do a mock-up and I'll take a look at it.

QUOTE(ndpndnt16 @ Apr 17 2008, 10:33 AM) just want to interview you darthnemesis....what is your next project any plans?people will ask this in future too
I have a few unfinished projects that I still need to take care of, among other things.
- Lunar Knights maps (still haven't finished the Dark Castle one)
- From the Abyss translation guide
- Guides/maps for the next Castlevania DS game when it comes out
- Song translations for LyricWiki

MANIA

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just some names:

The guy selling orbs in Schildkrote is called "Nie", the German word for "never".
The one standing left to the dictionary is called "Katze", German word for "cat".
The robot could be named "Blick" instead of "Blik" meaning "gaze" or "look".

Schildkrote is not German btw, it's supposed to be written with a "ö", so normally it's Schildkröte. I have no idea whether the ö can be displayed in Soma Bringer or not.

*edit* Why is it Single Player but Multiplayer?(space is missing)

wischmop

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
The ship's name Hesshen is actually Häschen, meaning small rabbit or something similar.The Katakana make that absolutely clear for a German native. Makes sense with the Schildkröte being a turtle. So maybe the rabbit one is supposed to be faster than the turtle.
Could also be a reference to a german rabbit vs turtle story.

Summary:

Schildkrote -> Schildkröte
Hesshen -> Häschen

If Soma Bringer can't handle "ö" or "ä", you can write oe for "ö" and ae for "ä", resulting Schildkroete and Haeschen.

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: ^^^^^ Nice, I'll use that. It'll have to be Haschen or Haeschen, though.

MANIA said:
The guy selling orbs in Schildkrote is called "Nie", the German word for "never".Okay, I'll go with that.

MANIA said:
The one standing left to the dictionary is called "Katze", German word for "cat".Yep, got that one.

MANIA said:
The robot could be named "Blick" instead of "Blik" meaning "gaze" or "look".Perhaps, but that doesn't seem to have any significance to the character. Blik, as far as I can tell, is a Nederlands word for galvanized steel, so it's appropriate for a robot.

QUOTE(MANIA @ Apr 18 2008, 05:29 AM) Schildkrote is not German btw, it's supposed to be written with a "ö", so normally it's Schildkröte. I have no idea whether the ö can be displayed in Soma Bringer or not.
Right, but there are no umlauts in the font, so it would show up as "Schildkr?te" in-game. Schildkrote is the closest I could get.

QUOTE(MANIA @ Apr 18 2008, 05:29 AM)
*edit* Why is it Single Player but Multiplayer?(space is missing)
Multi- is a prefix which combines with the noun it is modifying, whereas Single is just a regular adjective.

MANIA

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The closest you can get to Häschen and Schildkröte is Haeschen and Schildkroete. The official way to write a German word, when umlauts aren't available. ö becomes oe and ä -> ae.

LostTemplar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just started playing this game and think it's quite nice. Nice enough to be wanting to translate some parts of it :) My native language isn't English though, it's German (but seeing as the game contains a lot of German names, this might come in handy...), so I think I'll do the same thing as MANIA and write any new translations into the "Literal" column.

Nevertheless I liberally changed some translations in Act 1 when I thought them wrong.

SC219:

9 すまないがこれから君に\nいくつかの質問をしたい。
-> I'm sorry, but I'm going to\n ask you a few questions now.

This was just plain wrong. It said something about the age (it's not THAT いくつ here). And すまないが in this case isn't really as polite as "Excuse me". It's more like "I'll do it anyway, even if you don't like it".

40 な、なんだよ、おっかねぇな。
-> Wh, what? Don't be so scary.

I firmly believe that "Ooooh, scary" is the wrong connotation in this case, judging by the Japanese. But you might perhaps want to keep it. Would actually fit Millers' character if I think about it...

41 いいじゃんか別に。\nホントのことなんだし。
-> Like it matters. It's just the truth, anyways.

This was definitely wrong, just looking at the Japanese. It was something along the lines of "Fine, who cares about the truth anyway". Firstly, I don't think Millers would ever give in in that way, and secondly the new translation fits the context better anyway.

59 ビジターに襲われて、\n街がいくつも滅びてるんだぜ?
-> Countless cities have been attacked and\ndestroyed by visitors, you know?

I added the ", you know?". I don't know if it's the best translation, but the "んだぜ?" implies the meaning "everybody knows that".

---

But overall I think it was done VERY nicely :) Keep up the good work~

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MANIA said:
The closest you can get to Häschen and Schildkröte is Haeschen and Schildkroete. The official way to write a German word, when umlauts aren't available. ö becomes oe and ä -> ae.You know what, I'm messing around with the font table right now and I'm going to try to add the umlauts so we don't have to compromise the language.

QUOTE(LostTemplar @ Apr 20 2008, 04:49 PM) I liberally changed some translations in Act 1 when I thought them wrong.
Excellent, I really appreciate this kind of scrutiny.

LostTemplar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
SC221:

1 ????????????????
-> Looks like a classy, nice place.

????????? was missing.

3 ??????????????????
-> Well, one could also say, "just some old-fashioned rubble". [OLD: On the other hand, it reeks\nof oldness.]

This one fits better in my opinion. Millers directly turns his words around, not just saying "It's also old", but "It's just old".

4 ??????????????\n?????????
-> If you wanna go on a\npleasure tour,\njust say it. I'll even\ndo it for free. [OLD: If you wanna go on a\npleasure tour,\ndon't talk to me. I'm only\ngivin' directions.]

?????, not ?????.

14 ????????????????\n??????????????
-> but they collect Soma energy\nfrom the earth as well as the surrounding atmosphere,

Is there some limit to the text length? Well, anywho, in this one some words from the Japanese were missing.

16 ???????????????\n??????
-> Did you see that ropeway\non the way here? [OLD: See the ropeway that leads\nover here?]

The Japanese text says something different.

32 ????????????????
-> ??Recently that has changed, it seems. [OLD: ??That's not what they're\nsaying nowadays.]

I think "nowadays" doesn't really fit in well. With "??" he's limiting "??" and implies that there has been some change. Literal translation would be "Recently, one can't say so".

---

Well, gotta take some sleep now. Nites.

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry there haven't been many script updates this weekend, but that's because I've been focusing on the graphics. As a result, the patch now uses a variable-width font!
somabringerschildkrotesh3.png

I was also able to add ä and ö characters, as you can see. Note that extended ASCII character codes are not valid with Shift-JIS encoding, so as a workaround I assigned the graphics to two characters that look vaguely similar - alpha (?, 83BF) and sigma (?, 83D0). Just use those in the script files and they'll be replaced with the correct characters in-game.

LostTemplar said:
Is there some limit to the text length?Yes there is, and some of my omissions were due to that. There's more room now, but the game still has an internal limit after which it will automatically move text to the next line, and it's unfortunately shorter than the width of the text box. I want to figure out how to increase it, but I don't have a working NDS debugger (no$gba runs unbearably slow). If anyone has debugging skills or knows someone who does, removing that limit would be a huge help.

Anyway, you can use the program linked from the OP to insert the changes into your own game and playtest them to see if they'll fit. If we can get the length restriction removed, I'll most likely add a preview function to the program.

QUOTE(ForeverHikari @ Apr 20 2008, 11:24 PM) hey darth, im usin ur patch btw, and was just wonderin, before i waste half my life on the game, can u get through the whole game on the patch, or are does the game crash at some certain point?
rolleyes.gif
ur patch is awesome so far >=D
There are no crashes that I know of. Glad you like it!

wischmop

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
DarthNemesis said:
Sorry there haven't been many script updates this weekend, but that's because I've been focusing on the graphics. As a result, the patch now uses a variable-width font!
somabringerschildkrotesh3.png

I was also able to add ä and ö characters, as you can see. Note that extended ASCII character codes are not valid with Shift-JIS encoding, so as a workaround I assigned the graphics to two characters that look vaguely similar - alpha (?, 83BF) and sigma (?, 83D0). Just use those in the script files and they'll be replaced with the correct characters in-game.
Oh my gawd, that's sexy!
smile.gif

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I just realized that most of the squished item names can be written out fully now. Updated the patch to include those.

Also, OCD made me grab these when I came across them while poking around in the graphics. I don't know what use anyone might have for them, but hey, icons.
portraitssmallvk7.png

iconsconsumablesrn2.png

iconsequipmentnb6.png

iconsstatuseffectsaj5.png

Zerrix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DarkSwordman said:
Well, If DarthNemesis plan to translate the scipt, that's hard to say but it may take almost 10 months to translate all

Alone,yes...
But I guess if DarthNemesis had a lil´bit Employees who help to translate it,too he would be finished in over 2 Month or so
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: People are gonna find loopholes around clan tags and make inappropriate names.