pedrobarca

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello fellow tempers,

I recently installed a legit cia version of New Super Mario Bros.2 to my sysNAND. Now I wanted to inject my old save file via SaveDataFiler. I already did this for legit cia versions of Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land, so I thought this would work straight forward.

Unfortunately SaveDataFiler won't let me install my save. It shows some error with level=-7 or something. The problem is obvious, if I take a look into the user section of SaveDataFiler: It shows the current New Super Mario Bros 2 save (007af) as broken and of course it wont let me install my save into a broken slot.

My guess is that this has to do with the firmware version of the games. While Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land were 2.2.0 games, Super Mario Bros. 2 requires 4.1.0. So I guess my version of savedatafiler (4.2.8) is incompatible with Super Mario Bros. 2. Is there a newer version of SaveDataFiler in the wild (I know there is 5.2.2, but this version doesn't work either and has a lower rev number)? Is there another method to inject my save? Or is my problem something else?

Some help would be very much appreciated.

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, I tried this. I finished the first level and saved.

are you skipping the step where you extract the old savegame and move the the bigredsave file to the folder extracted from the game you want to move it to?
because i'm pretty sure the error you're getting is from the game being a different title id

pedrobarca

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
are you skipping the step where you extract the old savegame and move the the bigredsave file to the folder extracted from the game you want to move it to?
because i'm pretty sure the error you're getting is from the game being a different title id
OK, I tried it again strictly according this tutorial: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...v-to-eshop-3ds-3dz-with-savedatafiler.380246/
It doesn't work because it says the save of the installed game is broken (the save dumped from my card is fine). Maybe I should try to reinstall the game, but I guess this won't change things. The game works and saves flawless.

LameNobody

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK, I tried it again strictly according this tutorial: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...v-to-eshop-3ds-3dz-with-savedatafiler.380246/
It doesn't work because it says the save of the installed game is broken (the save dumped from my card is fine). Maybe I should try to reinstall the game, but I guess this won't change things. The game works and saves flawless.

I'm Specifically referring to this:
I'm talking about this:
SaveDataFiler stores in SDCARD:\filer\UserSaveData\20150131010203\0000053f
YEAR-MONTH-DAY-HOUR-MINUTE-SECONDS \ TitleID low

If the title id low from the card does not match the cia you'll have to copy it to the directory on your pc...

for example: nsmb2 cart -- title id XX, you extract it and you have SDCARD:\filer\UserSaveData\time/day/year\XX\bigredsave.dat

nsmb 2 cia -- title id YY, you extract it and you have SDCARD:\filer\UserSaveData\time/day/year\YY\bigredsave.dat

For moving the save from your game cartridge to the cia with a different title id, you must:

1: (SDF) extract save data from card to get SDCARD:\filer\UserSaveData\time/day/year\XX\bigredsave.dat
2: play cia game and create save
3: (SDF) extract save from cia to get SDCARD:\filer\UserSaveData\time/day/year\YY\bigredsave.dat
4: insert SD into PC
5: move bigredsave.dat from the XX folder to the YY folder
6: In savedatafilter Import the Save that you moved it will not error

Reactions: pedrobarca

Trice

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Isn't the legit version of New Super Mario Bros. 2 the one with the DLC included? Because that one has a different ID than the regular one from the eShop or retail, so the system thinks you want to install a save for an entirely different game, so the error would be normal in that case. That it shows up as broken is normal, because you haven't created a save to export yet I'd assume.

I'd try to create a save in the game, dump it through Savedatafiler, replace the actual savefile inside the dump with your original save, and try to restore that one. Maybe that will work.

LameNobody

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Isn't the legit version of New Super Mario Bros. 2 the one with the DLC included? Because that one has a different ID than the regular one from the eShop or retail, so the system thinks you want to install a save for an entirely different game, so the error would be normal in that case. That it shows up as broken is normal, because you haven't created a save to export yet I'd assume.

I'd try to create a save in the game, dump it through Savedatafiler, replace the actual savefile inside the dump with your original save, and try to restore that one. Maybe that will work.

Did i not just say that?

pedrobarca

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country

Yup, youre right. I have to apologize for my question. I did a stupid mistake:

I installed some NSMB2 dlc for playing with gateway card. And now I installed the legit Special Edition. I had in mind, that it might have different id, but I found 007af in SaveDataFiler right away and thought this must be it. Turns out this was the dlc, which has of course no save data and appears broken. The right id is 0137f. Will try your idea now.

Thanks for everyone that tried to help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why...