Sol Trigger - English Translation

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Subevil, Apr 24, 2013.

1. coredecepts

coredecepts GBAtemp Regular

Jan 2, 2013
    United States
    I meant to say that I'm really happy to see those screenshots. It's great to see this progress!

2. JamRules

JamRules .....

Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    Yea thanks, if we can get the font working then it'll be great.

3. NicoBlogs

NicoBlogs GBAtemp Regular

Apr 19, 2013
    United States
    USA
    Hey will you release a fix for this
    or no more releases until it's finished? it would really appreciate partial patches.

4. JamRules

JamRules .....

Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    I should have some free time over the weekend to get the new version of the file editor done,
    last time I manually edited the files in a hex editor and some typos sorta lead to memory exceptions.

But the editor means that it'll be able to create the file properly, once that's done it'll hopefully not take to long to fix up the menus,
    so maybe end of next week. Wouldn't want lots of broken copies around the place.

sanger_zonvolt likes this.
  5. NicoBlogs

Apr 19, 2013
    United States
    USA
    Perfect thanks!

6. JamRules

JamRules .....

Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    I finished updating the file editor so should be on track to release a fixed patch next weekend.

Still no luck on the font, but I did at least move the text so 30 chars fits properly.

[​IMG]

NicoBlogs and sanger_zonvolt like this.
  7. NicoBlogs

Apr 19, 2013
    United States
    USA
    Looks perfect! i love it!

8. aki xero

aki xero Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2014
    Malaysia
    ipoh
    quite good progress i see,thank JamRules for working with @garejey to finish this,for first i thought you would'nt help with the translation,sorry for taking your busy time,but for sure i want to see this project finish too.maybe i should learning a few thing about romhacking and translating,is there a simple and understandable guide on the net somehow?

9. JamRules

JamRules .....

Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    Yea, originally I wasn't going to be part of the translation project but then XenoTranslations seemed to disappear.

As for learning romhacking this is the first time I've done anything like this so can't really give much advice, and each game likely varies.
    I guess knowledge of hex would help in general and some programming (C++/C#/etc) so you can create tools.
    For translating there's probably loads of internet sources and books to help you learn,
    though personally I never managed to read more than a few pages. All my japanese comes from 5 years of watching anime and playing games.

Edit:

Example of the beginning movie which is now subbed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GHANMI likes this.
  10. GareJei

GareJei Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2013
    Hungary
    Bit of a typo on the first pic but this looks really sexy. Super exciting to see this all coming together, good job as usual mate.

11. JamRules

JamRules .....

Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    We'll have to check everything for the final release and probably redo some of the scripts,
    but it makes a good example of what can be done.

12. JuliusEra

JuliusEra majestix1988

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2012
    or announcing a beta phase on that issue(then ask some guys who would beta playing that game) that will report errors and bugs on your patch

13. Kalker3

Kalker3 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 5, 2013
    France
    Hired to play a game...
    Where do I sign up? xP

14. JamRules

JamRules .....

Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    Well, when I released the last patch I did ask people to leave comments if they found errors,
    didn't get any though. I suppose having assigned beta testers might help with actually getting a response.

I'll hopefully be releasing a fixed version of the menu/description patch over the weekend,
    I also patched most of the battle system.

Kalker3 likes this.
  15. GHANMI

GHANMI GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2012

Thanks a lot for your dedication :)
    I hate to be THAT guy, but boy: that font used in the FMVs sure is ugly. MS Arial / Comic Sans aren't the best looking fonts to be used, so if it isn't too late (font already used on many cutscenes), please consider changing it:(

A shame the font for the regular messages can't be edited with a design that better fits fixed width Japanese kana dimensions, but hey, that hasn't kept me from playing Terranigma :P

16. JamRules

JamRules .....

Jan 9, 2014
    United States

I've only done one at the moment and I left in on default, if there's a particular font you had in mind feel free to make a suggestion.
    Also the problem with the font is it always renders the same size but I did figure out how to change it, eventually I was planning on editting it to something more readable but I might have to make a tool to do it

sanger_zonvolt likes this.
  17. GHANMI

GHANMI GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2012
    Well, some tips for subtitle fonts are:
    Never using serif fonts, Time New, Borial, Helvetica, Arial.
    No excessively wide fonts

Some popular fonts are Trebuchet MS Bold, Deja Vu Sans, Verdana, Tahoma, Advantage Demi...
    Of course white text with black outlines are necessary. Don't think the drop shadow is needed.

JamRules likes this.
  18. JamRules

JamRules .....

Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    I uploaded the new patch which will hopefully fix the crashing issues,
    also made a video when I was tested it worked.

http://filecloud.io/lcgwa5dj

GHANMI and NicoBlogs like this.
  19. NicoBlogs

Apr 19, 2013
    United States
    USA
    Thanks a lot you kept your word :P

20. Kalker3

Kalker3 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 5, 2013
    France
    The patch looks great! Some typos here and there, but it looks great.
    Now I know what skills should I use in battle. xP
    Running out of SOL is incredibly easy tho. O.o

BTW, there are a shitton of stuff in ALL CAPS, is it going to be like that in the final patch? (It's mostly names from what I've seen.)