Hacking Softmod (Twilight Hack) vs Mod Chip (Wii Key 2)

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay. So I've spent most of my 2 days (today and yesterday) compiling information whether I should get the mod chip installed for $70 or just softmod it with the Twilight Hack. Okay so here is what I know so far, and please verify some of it.

Mod Chip (Wii Key 2)
-much better than the softmod but it costs money
-does not get the HBC
-faster loading times for the Wii, less laggy too?
-less chance of bricking, and as far as I know, there is an option to disallow updates and region free (Quick Question: Does the mod chip install it's own menu for these settings or what?)

SoftMod (Twilight Hack)
-requires The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (original)
-installs HomeBrew Channel
-have to use a loader through the HBC to get the backup game to work
-allows Virtual Console games and emulators and that stuff
-HBC has many apps
-more chance of bricking
-?less chance of it working in the future because its softmod?

And I've visited wiibrew.org FYI. I'm on 3.3U. I understand that you could do both of it, but why would you want to? Should I do both?

Questions (..): 1. If I do get the mod chip, is there a chance of the backup games not working? Would I have to use the HBC then and use some loader or something?
2. What is less chance of bricking?
3. What provides better gaming for Wii backups (e.g. speed)?
4. What is less errors and stuff in the long run (lol kinda stupid question)?

By the way, my parents .. yeah .. have said that I should just go with the more safer and more reliable method which I believe is the mod chip.

P.S. I don't need to know HOW to do it because I've already found that.

So basically, what should I do. I don't really care about the homebrew stuff (but I guess it's good, right?).

Thanks, IOwnAndPwnU

jonnythefox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can install HBC with a mod chip. They provide you with an iso on their site as I recall.

I think I'll end up getting a wiikey, mainly because I'd like to have access to the future firmware upgrades that ninty provides.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd say Wiikey, because it has better compatibility I think. Also GameCube games.
QUOTE said:
-less chance of bricking, and as far as I know, there is an option to disallow updates and region free (Quick Question: Does the mod chip install it's own menu for these settings or what?)
I don't have a Wiikey 2, but Wiikey 1 uses the GC configuration disc to change those settings.

I have a Wiikey and Homebrew Channel on my Wii, but the backup loader probably won't work.

EDIT:
QUOTE1. If I do get the mod chip, is there a chance of the backup games not working? Would I have to use the HBC then and use some loader or something?
2. What is less chance of bricking?
3. What provides better gaming for Wii backups (e.g. speed)?
4. What is less errors and stuff in the long run (lol kinda stupid question)?
1. Maybe, but Wiikey can be updated, and I'm pretty sure backup loaders dont work alongside modchips.
2. Modchip, because it doesn't modify the software of the Wii, but you can damage your Wii if you install incorrectly.
3. Modchip because the backup loader runs at a slower speed which was 3x or 4x if I remember correctly
4. As said, I have a Wiikey 1, and works fine with all my games, except my original Super Smash Bros. Brawl because I've been too lazy to update my Wiikey, and the backup copy works anyways.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Both, and stop messing around with your Wii if you don't want to brick it...!!!
smile.gif

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@ether2802: I thought you said it's not possible to mod a Wii with 3.3U (or above)?

Also, do I need gamecube controllers for the Wii Key 2 config disc (or whatever that is).

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IOwnAndPwnU said:
Also, do I need gamecube controllers for the Wii Key 2 config disc (or whatever that is).
I think so, I used my friend's config disc, so I can't check, but it uses GC homebrew sorta thing so Wiimote doesn't work

The update disc allows the power and reset button though.

D

Deleted User

IOwnAndPwnU said:
@ether2802: I thought you said it's not possible to mod a Wii with 3.3U (or above)?

nup, you use the reset button on your wii to navigate the menu, its a little painful but it does the job..

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dnmn8e said:
IOwnAndPwnU said:

nup, you use the reset button on your wii to navigate the menu, its a little painful but it does the job..

Well, okay lol

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have the HBC and a Wiikey installed, so I can give a good evaluation of both.

Wiikey
-MUCH better compatibility (100% in your own region) and plays games just like they were intended to.
-No lagging, slow loading times, or WiFi issues. Plays like it were the real thing.
-It's not free.
-Have to be knowledgeable with opening the Wii and must have prior soldering experience.
-No patching involved. Just dump the games and burn them.
-Works with Gamecube games!!! Also I'd like to note that you can put more than 1 Gamecube game on a disc, which is another cool feature.

Backup Loader

-100% free of charge. No money involved.
-Can boot through a separate channel- no need for HBC.
-Compatibility is getting better but still not at 100%.
-No soldering or opening of the Wii involved. It's all software.
-Some games work but are laggy/have slow loading times.
-Other games have issues with WiFi connectivity.
-Some games have to be patched in order to play correctly.
-No Gamecube support (yet).

Hope this helps!

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, so I am DEFINITELY getting a mod chip installed because I've confirmed that it provides a much better gaming experience (non-laggy, no slow loading times, wi fi works, 100% compatibility).

But now the question is: Do I need to perform the Twilight Hack before I get it modded to get the 3.2U firmware, and is there any risk in it?

P.S. I think I have a solution (TH first and then mod chip).

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I should probably ask about my friends and what about his since he has 3.4U but honestly I don't care really...but then again, he is getting me the game to borrow ..

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IOwnAndPwnU said:
Okay, so I am DEFINITELY getting a mod chip installed because I've confirmed that it provides a much better gaming experience (non-laggy, no slow loading times, wi fi works, 100% compatibility).

But now the question is: Do I need to perform the Twilight Hack before I get it modded to get the 3.2U firmware, and is there any risk in it?

P.S. I think I have a solution (TH first and then mod chip).
Modchips work on any firmware (that's an advantage I should have put in my post). 3.2U is just a better firmware because it lets you install Starfall, which protects you from banner bricks. A banner brick is when you install a bad WAD (channel) and renders your Wii useless. But that's totally unrelated to modchips. So if you're not going to install any channels, don't worry about the firmware.

Another thing I want to add: since you're in Canada, you should get your modchip from Modchipcentral. That's where I got mine from since they don't sell modchips in the USA. You'll get it in no time.

Matt93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A modchip will allow you to play all of your backups natively without any loader. It shouldn't give you any problems.

With a softmod, you can do pretty much the same as thing as a modchip and save yourself $70. A softmod is safe. You can easily brickproof yourself by installing the twilight hack and starfall. Loading times will be slightly slower, and you won't be able to play Gamecube backups. That is the only downside to a softmod. There are many homebrew apps, and you can even use your Wii as a DVD player. Every now and then a new game doesn't work, but the issues are always quickly worked out with a new release of the loader right away. For example, the 002 error you used to get with games like Need For Speed Undercover.

If you do get a modchip, do both, and have all the good stuff. You will be out $70 though.

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From where I'm going to get my Wii modded is from this guy who did my cousin's Xbox 360 (seems good). I'm not doing it myself though. lol

I see. I think I should just get the mod chip and that's it? Like I definitely don't want to risk my Wii getting bricked.

What does the Homebrew Channel even offer? Can I play virtual console games without it (like putting it on SD card or through DVD, NOT buying it through the Shop Channel).

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also meaning I have to get the HomeBrew Channel?

But the WiiKey official states:
QUOTE said:
Direct boot of homebrew in GC mode
so how would this work then?

Also, can I just instill the HBC through some disc if my Wii is modded?

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I didn't say it has to be on 3.2 or earlier to have a ModChip, I saw it on other topic and even I was surprised by that, but I guess I missread it...!!!
biggrin.gif

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IOwnAndPwnU said:

QUOTE said:
Direct boot of homebrew in GC mode

Wadmanager goes through the Homebrew Channel.
If your Wii is 3.2U then you can installl it through the disc, else you need the Twilight hack
Homebrew in GC mode means GC homebrew.

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ether2802 said:
I didn't say it has to be on 3.2 or earlier to have a ModChip, I saw it on other topic and even I was surprised by that, but I guess I missread it...!!!
biggrin.gif

Phew. I even googled the topic and I got nothing. Then people here said there was no issue which made me more relived.

IOwnAndPwnU said:

QUOTEDirect boot of homebrew in GC mode

Answer please?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards