Hacking Softmod (Twilight Hack) vs Mod Chip (Wii Key 2)

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If I were you I'd get a modchip and install the HBC anyway using the Twilight Hack. There are a lot of useful things you can do with it, like run emulators, play homebrew games, install channels, and much more.

IOwnAndPwnU said:
ether2802 said:
I didn't say it has to be on 3.2 or earlier to have a ModChip, I saw it on other topic and even I was surprised by that, but I guess I missread it...!!!
biggrin.gif

Phew. I even googled the topic and I got nothing. Then people here said there was no issue which made me more relived.

IOwnAndPwnU said:
Also meaning I have to get the HomeBrew Channel?

But the WiiKey official states:
QUOTEDirect boot of homebrew in GC mode
so how would this work then?

Also, can I just instill the HBC through some disc if my Wii is modded?

Answer please?
I don't really get the question, but if you're asking if you can install the HBC with a modded Wii, then yes you can.

Diffusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IOwnAndPwnU said:
ether2802 said:
I didn't say it has to be on 3.2 or earlier to have a ModChip, I saw it on other topic and even I was surprised by that, but I guess I missread it...!!!
biggrin.gif

Phew. I even googled the topic and I got nothing. Then people here said there was no issue which made me more relived.

IOwnAndPwnU said:
Also meaning I have to get the HomeBrew Channel?

But the WiiKey official states:
QUOTEDirect boot of homebrew in GC mode
so how would this work then?

Also, can I just instill the HBC through some disc if my Wii is modded?

Answer please?
HBC is Wii homebrew. GC homebrew... is GC homebrew.

You can install HBC via disc if you have 3.2 or lower.

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DAMN! lol (Made me jealous with saying that the HBC has some nice stuff..damn you)
tongue.gif

First thing first though, is I'm going to get my Wii modded with the Wii Key 2. Then I'm thinking of performing the TH (I think that's what the Twilight Hack is called).

Will it still work?
Can I use a backup version of the game since I have a mod chip installed? If not, why not?
If I just use VC games, I should be fine, right? Like, no bricking? And is there a list of apps to not use, or a list of apps proven to be safe and stuff like that?

Diffusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IOwnAndPwnU said:
DAMN! lol (Made me jealous with saying that the HBC has some nice stuff..damn you)
tongue.gif

First thing first though, is I'm going to get my Wii modded with the Wii Key 2. Then I'm thinking of performing the TH (I think that's what the Twilight Hack is called).

Will it still work?
Can I use a backup version of the game since I have a mod chip installed? If not, why not?
If I just use VC games, I should be fine, right? Like, no bricking? And is there a list of apps to not use, or a list of apps proven to be safe and stuff like that?
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. There's always a risk of a brick.

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IOwnAndPwnU said:
tongue.gif

Will it still work?
Yeah your Wii will still work after performing the Twilight Hack.
Yeah your backups will play just like they would if you didn't install the HBC.
Make sure before you download and install a VC game that it's confirmed it works. Otherwise you could brick.

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
IOwnAndPwnU said:
tongue.gif

Will it still work?
Yeah your Wii will still work after performing the Twilight Hack.
Yeah your backups will play just like they would if you didn't install the HBC.
Make sure before you download and install a VC game that it's confirmed it works. Otherwise you could brick.
Definitely. Heck, for such a serious thing, I wouldn't even download it if it has 0 comments, but all the good games probably would, right ?
Should I be cautious about this too when I download isos of the game and burn it and play it in my modded Wii?

sentinel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Id preffer anything that doesnt involves openning my Wii and risking void warranties or damaging the Wii and throwing to the trash $250. So softmod it is and softmod is what I used. So far all the games ive tried have worked flawlessly.

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Softmod voids your warranty.

Softmod can possibly brick your Wii through the installing of certain applications in HBC.

Well, that's what I know.

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IOwnAndPwnU said:
Definitely. Heck, for such a serious thing, I wouldn't even download it if it has 0 comments, but all the good games probably would, right ?
Should I be cautious about this too when I download isos of the game and burn it and play it in my modded Wii?
No if an ISO is bad it just won't boot. You just take the disc out and throw it away. What you do need to be careful about is updates. Sometimes a game will carry an update on it. If the disc is from your own region then installing the update is perfectly safe. If it's from a different region then it could semibrick your Wii, causing a lot of features to be useless. You're lucky you're getting a Wiikey2 though, since it's the first modchip to have an option to turn updates off. That way you're perfectly safe.

To basically you don't have to worry about ISOs bricking. They either work or they don't.

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
IOwnAndPwnU said:
No if an ISO is bad it just won't boot. You just take the disc out and throw it away. What you do need to be careful about is updates. Sometimes a game will carry an update on it. If the disc is from your own region then installing the update is perfectly safe. If it's from a different region then it could semibrick your Wii, causing a lot of features to be useless. You're lucky you're getting a Wiikey2 though, since it's the first modchip to have an option to turn updates off. That way you're perfectly safe.

To basically you don't have to worry about ISOs bricking. They either work or they don't.

First, I was very worried about this (like a week ago
tongue.gif
) but then I found 3 programs which will help me in this quest to pirate stuff:

WUM (Wii Update Manager)
QUOTE said:
WUM is GNU/GPL software who can help you to :
- analyse a wii game iso file (or directly the DVD on linux) and tell you :

* which is the region of the game (and other informations)
* which is the region of the update
* if there is a firmware update inside
* if there is a risk to perform this update
* if the update has already been modofied by WUM

- patch the update of this iso to :

* put an inerte update inside : function Brick Block
* replace by another update : can be use to make tests or unbrick semi-bricked wii

So using WUM will help you to understand better the iso file you want to play before insert it in your favorite console...

WUM is a GNU/GPL software, so you can check the source code to be more confident to use it.
But because WUM is a GNU/GPL software, be carefull from where did you downloaded it, prefer the official website : here
wink.gif

WBB (Wii Brick Blocker)
QUOTEIt's a small piece of software that enables you to patch an Iso file before you burn it. A Wii DVD consists of 3 partitions, one of them is the update. The WBB modifies these partitions and replaces one of them without any update. You just have to choose your Iso file, and click Patch, it only takes 30sec... After that you can burn your Iso and the game will launch without an update so you will be able to play your import game.

RegionFrii (check out this one too WiiJunkies which is good for Macintosh computers, like my computer, but luckily I also have Windows XP installed just in case).
SYNDiCATE have released a tool that allows you to patch NTSC game images to change their region code to PAL, so they can be played back on PAL Wii units in conjunction with any modchip. The tool works by modifying a section in the image that contains region information. Surprisingly; this area is said to be unencrypted.

dMilesFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Some of my friends have the wiikey2 modchip installed and the most recent games are not working, no matter what. it appears the wiikey2 does not work with them.

I prefer the softmod and not the modchip.

abd08

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got a Wiikey2 and 3.4J Wii. A few games DONT work (Rayman Rabbids Party, Ookami, and one or two more).

I "think" you still need to keep your firmware to 3.2 and then you'll be ok - don't think even with a chip you can run Trucha signed games on 3.4. Am going to downgrade myself this weekend and will update this thread (so try no to give in and rush off to get your chip already! - unless you know something I don't) =)

davedeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
with the trucha bug you can change the content of an iso and fake sign the changes.
since systemmenu 3.3 the trucha bug is fixed. for example no guitar hero custom would work.

in my oppinion the best combination is a modchip and system menu 3.2...because:
- Backup Compatibility nearly 100% (until now, i haven`t a game which won´t work)
- Loading Speed of the Backups (Backuploader is so lame...and yes also 0.3 gamma)
- you are "bricksafe", because trucha signed disc works on 3.2, so you burn a autoboot wad manager 1.3 and you don´t need the tp-hack and zelda is still playable (because my original savegame exists -> 1st i installed tp and hbc then remove tp to play my zelda savegame)
- backups direct in the disc channel
etc...

sorry for my bad english, but i am from germany...

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
davedeluxe said:
with the trucha bug you can change the content of an iso and fake sign the changes.
since systemmenu 3.3 the trucha bug is fixed. for example no guitar hero custom would work.

in my oppinion the best combination is a modchip and system menu 3.2...because:
- Backup Compatibility nearly 100% (until now, i haven`t a game which won´t work)
- Loading Speed of the Backups (Backuploader is so lame...and yes also 0.3 gamma)
- you are "bricksafe", because trucha signed disc works on 3.2, so you burn a autoboot wad manager 1.3 and you don´t need the tp-hack and zelda is still playable (because my original savegame exists -> 1st i installed tp and hbc then remove tp to play my zelda savegame)
- backups direct in the disc channel
etc...

sorry for my bad english, but i am from germany...
you forgot gc games too which is something soft mod isn't able to do quite yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BigOnYa series S is the way to go, its a bargain for a capable system