Hacking SoftMod & Loader Questions...

niccador

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I've been modding Wii's for some time, utilizing the "simplistic mod"...mostly because it served the primary purpose, and also because I really don't ever mess with the Wii, it's just been something to entertain the kids.

More recently, while making sure my info was reasonably up-to-date, I ran across the thread of TroyTheZombie's animated channels, and it kind of made me wake up to fact that this Wii can actually do a lot of stuff that *I* would like it to do. So, I've been delving into the stickies -- namely the Ultimate USB Loader thread -- but I've been getting ridiculously lost and overwhelmed by the options. So, I'd like to lay out what it is I'm wanting or planning, and hope that some of you can either enlighten me directly, or at least point me to the info I need.
smile.gif

1. Ideally, in regards to the system menu, I would like for it to appear like TroyTheZombie's video samples: only the custom loader/forwarder channels are visible. I know that this is not possible within the confines of the Simplistic Mod, so what do I need to do to make this happen?

2. I know I will be needing a WBFS Manager of some sort, and it seems popular demand dictates AlexDP's Manager, which I must admit, looks pretty good. If anyone has any reasons for recommending a Manager other than this one, I'd love to hear it.

3. Again, due to popular demand, I believe I'm leaning toward the Configurable USB Loader, but if anyone thinks that GX, Cover floader, or another loader would suit my needs and be easier to work with, let me know. (EDIT: 5 minutes in, and I'm already editing...sigh. After a closer look -- O.M.G., WiiFlow is beautiful, and I must have it as a loader for my Wii titles.....end of story. If someone has a link to a good tutorial for this, or recommends some specific variant of it, I would be interested in hearing about it.)

4. My current understanding is that Gamecube games must still be played from disc, as normal, and not from a USB drive. Has this changed, or is this still true, and I'll need a separate loader for them? If so, does anyone recommend any specfic GC loader, or just the standard NeoGamma? If GC *can* now be run from a USB drive, can someone please point me to the necessary info?

5. I know that the drive I use for the Wii can be partitioned as both WBFS and FAT32, for homebrew use -- but this is where I get confused. While I've not looked at the full directory of potential homebrew apps, my primary concern for the time being is the use of homebrew emulators. But my current understanding is that the various emulators like ZSNES and so forth, are NOT able to use the USB drive, and have to be run from an SDHC card. Is this still true? And if so, exactly what homebrew would I potentially be running from that partition of my USB drive, or is it merely for easy storage? If any of the console emulators can be run from a USB Loader, can someone show me exactly which one, and how?

....Sorry for the wall of text.... I'm pretty sure I'll have more questions as I fine tune all this, but I think this does it for now.
Despite the potential depth of some of this, I'm trying to make this all as simple and idiot-proof as I can....so any advice as I go along in that regard is very welcome.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. Those samples just have the normal channels on a different page than the custom ones
2. Only unless you want to use .wbfs files with a FAT partition
3. The tutorial for wiiflow is basically the same as any other loader, just that you run Wiiflow instead of the other USB loader that the tutorial is for.
4. Still true. GC mode locks out the Wii's extra features, including the USB ports. Thus the HD would be cut off as soon as the game started.
5. Why would you want to? NES, SNES, GBA roms are small

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission