Not open for further replies.

jdev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
George Dawes said:
I guess you weren't around in '76-'78 then? Punk was dominated by "pop" and the record labels. And lets not forget 85% of american punk since 1985. "Real" (anarcho, crust, street, oi, '76 etc) punk is all but forgotten - pop-punk is all that anyone remembers and makes up most of punks output, unfortunately.

You are correct, sir, I was not around in '76. However, my biggest issue with any genre of music, is when a band fails to create its sound. Sure, the Ramones had a really pop sound, almost bubblegum pop. But I defy you to refrain from enjoying The Blitzkrieg Bop. Not everything has to be meaningful, but bands should have their own style, sound and message. One of the things I love about Anti-Flag is that they call 'bullshit' on people who think punk is just a sound or a mode of dress. And, honestly, as awesome as he may have been, I don't think I'd ever have gone to a G.G. Allin show. Even when I was fifteen, I don't think I had the right combination of more balls than brains. Well, maybe I'm being too generous to myself.

I don't really have any major problems with acts like Green Day which are more pop than other acts, though I've always felt that Green Day kind of stressed the limit of what could be considered punk music. Hell, after Warren Zevon, my favorite band is Queen. So, yeah, I like pop music, I just like pop music that would be awesome even if it wasn't popular.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont even know what the OP is tying to accomplish here. making fun of those that hate his music and then listing some to listen to?

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ookay I skimmed through a bunch of replies and can safely say that most of you don't know what you're talking about. I've been a hip hop head for several years. Listened to the music, helped some friends' with their albums + shows, hell i've even taken collegiate classes on spoken word, hip hop culture, and things of that nature. Hip Hop is much more than the sum of it's parts.

In it's core it's directly a social movement. At least it started out that way. When the South Bronx was a clusterfuck of burned buildings and forgotten individuals, communities came together and gathered around hip hop. Had like parties in basements and on the block and whatnot. A lot of people think Hip Hop is dying or already dead, but I beg to differ that it's merely changing directions. The only true individual killed recently is the DJ
frown.gif
Everyone's a producer nowadays and nobody want's to be a DJ. At least in the circles I frequent.

Also: Rap is a SUBSECTION of hip-hop. So I don't want to hear people saying this is rap and this is hip hop. (The four foundations of hip hop are Rapping (MC's), Graffiti, DJ's and Breaking). You could call something Like mainstream Hip Hop or my favourite "Hip-Pop."

So all in all whatever you like, whomever your taste...Just BE YOURSELF
|
|
V

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
this thread just made my impressions worse.

congrats on making shit even shitter.

also I love how all the irl people I know who like rap are wiggers.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ookay I skimmed through a bunch of replies and can safely say that most of you don't know what you're talking about.

blink.gif

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BortzANATOR said:
Ookay I skimmed through a bunch of replies and can safely say that most of you don't know what you're talking about.

blink.gif
If you're implying that opinion can be wrong, you are an idiot.

Go back to 2nd grade.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rock Raiyu said:
Sorry I'm a rap supporter but...the moment you talked about Souljda Boy and Lil Jon, this thread got derailed...

I'll save it.

This is real rap.
cool.gif
This is a huge difference from rap you hear on the radio or see on TV.
Thank God. You did what I though I was going to have to say. I really dont wanna read past the front page becasue im sure its gonna be a flamewar and is just gonna piss me off.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pyrofyr said:
BortzANATOR said:

blink.gif
If you're implying that opinion can be wrong, you are an idiot.

Go back to 2nd grade.
yes. that is exactly what im implying /sarcasm

its actually a quote from the poster above me, i forgot the quote tabs. And for the record that poster is implying that other people opinions are wrong.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
derailed-train-derailed-thread-demotivational-poster-1237346157.jpg

Another day, and rap still sucks.

I don't think I'm a huge speaker in this argument, as there's Mozart and Beethoven on my iPod

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:

I don't think I'm a huge speaker in this argument, as there's Mozart and Beethoven on my iPod
Another day, another troll.

You haven't said anything to even back up your claim. All you've been saying is "Rap sucks" but again, you haven't backed it up. Not all rap is the same, there is mainstream and there is underground. Just like your opinion isn't fact so stop spouting it like it is.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rock Raiyu said:
Midna said:

You haven't said anything to even back up your claim. All you've been saying is "Rap sucks" but again, you haven't backed it up. Not all rap is the same, there is mainstream and there is underground. Just like your opinion isn't fact so stop spouting it like it is.
Based on statistical general knowledge of the rap 'genre' it can be said that over 50% of rap is about the following subjects:
1)Killing other members of society and not caring (in fact doing it and believeing you gain some sort of status for it)
2)Life associated with being in a gang and reppin' that gang
3)Sexual activities with promiscuous women
4)Using and abusing illegal drugs

This statistic leads to the following problems:
1)The main listening group are children in bad neigborhoods who look to their idols (these musicians in most cases) for help on being successful
2)Children with open minds who will develop this outlook on life eventually

Again, some rap is good, like everything. The problem is that it's so far gone, and that it's such a closed-minded media that it's just turned to shit (it sure as hell didn't start off this way). With that said every genre isn't without it's own crap, but the amount of crap in rap is just ridiculous which leads to people hating it over all because they don't know there are good artists, or not caring because there are so few good artists that you might as well toss them in their own genre and call it something like "Alternative Rap".

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pyrofyr said:
Rock Raiyu said:
Midna said:

Based on statistical general knowledge of the rap 'genre' it can be said that over 50% of rap is about the following subjects:
1)Killing other members of society and not caring (in fact doing it and believeing you gain some sort of status for it)
2)Life associated with being in a gang and reppin' that gang
3)Sexual activities with promiscuous women
4)Using and abusing illegal drugs

This statistic leads to the following problems:
1)The main listening group are children in bad neigborhoods who look to their idols (these musicians in most cases) for help on being successful
2)Children with open minds who will develop this outlook on life eventually

Again, some rap is good, like everything. The problem is that it's so far gone, and that it's such a closed-minded media that it's just turned to shit (it sure as hell didn't start off this way). With that said every genre isn't without it's own crap, but the amount of crap in rap is just ridiculous which leads to people hating it over all because they don't know there are good artists, or not caring because there are so few good artists that you might as well toss them in their own genre and call it something like "Alternative Rap".

I know what you are saying and I agree some rap is bad but there is good rap. Not all of it is the same. But he's saying it like all of it is bad, which isn't true. You can say you don't LIKE it, which is quite understandable, but you can't say it sucks. You can say some rap is bad, you can say the rap you hear is bad but you can't count in some of the other rap artists that know what they are doing and make great beats. For example I don't like emo music or country music but I don't think it sucks. And like you said, people think so badly of rap because of the media i.e. mainstream. Which is mainly party music which originates from the south. Which I do not associate with because down here, the music is garbage. If you think about it, the greater rap artists are either from the north and some in the west.

Again, you make very valid points but its just not cool to classify all rap as the same and thinking it all sucks. We might as well call it Alternative Rap for the greater artists..

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually saying it sucks is something that's quite easily done. I'm not going to dwell on the misappropriate use of can but point out what it means to say something sucks.

Sucks is pretty much a synonym for "generally bad", "crap", etc.

With that said, statistically and morally 'mainstream' rap is terrible.

Considering the overwhelming amount of pop media and people not having enough time to delve into every genre to find the few diamonds in the rough that there are, most people will just say 'it sucks', it's not like they can type "good rap artists" in google and come upon something that's not shit (although good use of google would probably lead you to something good).

The main problem isn't that it's bad because it's catchy, the lyrics are sometimes decent, the problem is what's promoting, the main content of the song. You might want to hear a song that euphemisms having sex, and you might even like a song or two that's just explicitly talking about 'fucking', but when 1/5 songs is about it, it's stupid. Sex, violence, and drugs aren't meant to be mainstream they're meant to be the thing you break out with because you're 'edgy', if everyone does it you're not 'edgy' you're just a retard who's in the crowd.

With that said while country doesn't exactly support any negative morals a good deal of them support Christianity because of being based in the south, listening to the radio this is starting to phase out a good deal to be honest and the only references really being made mostly are about maybe referencing walking into a church because your husband died or something, as opposed to before you might say like "For the life of God...", or "... Jesus...", or "..amen...". It's still in some songs, but nowhere near as bad as before. The thing though is that they've never used it in a bigoted way like "No Jews in that church" or "Faggot, learn the bible!".

As for emo, it's worse than rap. Rap is about hurting others, emo music is about hurting yourself, being depressed, and dwelling on the bad things in life. Emo music is raising these kids that end up xanac and prozac and all these shitty pills that actually lead them to be MORE depressed and eventually end up living the lifestyle do to it. It ruins lives, and I don't know why it even exists.

Rap is not the only genre that is subject to this, but it's one of the base genres that people see these days:
Rap, rock, country.
It's a big contender, it's one of the main 3. You can break them all up into at least 100 categories (and rap is realistically just a category under 'black media' if you ask any skeptical but knowledgeable African American)

With that said because of it's widespread use as a major genre, it receives a lot more shit than emo, screamo, or garbage, or screamocore, or metalcore, or (I could go on and on) do. Those are small "Hey I found that online and got into this" or "I bought a CD and it was more rock than I thought", it's not something everyone is aware of. Audiophiles, musicieans, people who use the internet more than a little bit will know of these genres (Thanks to sites like last.fm and youtube), but the normal person would not.

Edit: Oh I forgot to answer to your last part so...:
The problem isn't that we're classifying it all rap as a genre, the problem is that rap artists that want to save rap classify themselves as rap (not something else) because they want to save it, prove it's fine, be successful, can't make their own genre, what have you.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay so let's all say it : ALL RAP MUSIC DON'T SUCK! ALL RAP ARTISTS SUCK! SOME RAP MUSIC SUCK! SOME RAP ARTISTS DON'T SUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge