Hacking So... Why is Linux on Switch exciting?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think Linux on Switch would be used for games...
I'd totally use it for emulation and media players.

If there's a thing neat with Linux, it's that when things work, they just work, and damn well.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they make good drivers you will be able to run some PC older games.

Like on the PS4 they shown steam OS and some PC Linux games running on it, though since the switch is way less powerful only low end graphics\physics games would play good, though would still be awesome to run some indie Linux games + Nintendo switch games + emulators all portable in a all-in-one environment on a small portable device.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol on switch plz
Yeah well, some indie games don't require much power... And if the drivers could be made to have the full power of the switch and someone would keep updating I'm sure a few thousand games would play well, just not current top games...

I would be pretty happy just playing Command and conquer Red Alert 2, I love that game.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly I think by the time Linux on Switch becomes functional the Switch will be old news any everyone will have moved on. Even if you can reverse engineer the kernel and drivers from the Shield and somehow make it run at full speed, Steam games will be expecting x86/64-bit processors and everything will have to be ported from scratch.

but really, the fact that the Switch uses an ARM processor is a very important point. Last I checked EVERY steam game will be expecting a Intel or AMD processor, and simply won't work on an ARM one. Some Linux-specific games like SuperTux can be compiled directly on the Switch, but 90% of the software that a Linux-on-Switch project would use or be used for only exist as binary blobs that will not run on ARM processors.

huntertron1

dancing to music!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lunix plus virtualbox=windows....

switch hax -} lunix-} virtualbox -} windows -} steam????????????????????????

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc