So when do we see the end of disc based media?

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So, when do you think disc based media will phase out? I mean, we already have flash cards that can hold more then a dual layer DVD. It's only a matter of time until the price comes down. All this fuss about which of the 3 HD formats is gonna win just doesn't matter. HD discs aren't the future, flash based media is.

mfpants50

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
7-12 years minimum. The factories are already in place for disk making, so are players, cases...there is a huge infastructure. Holographic discs are being made, with huge capacities. Cold plated DVDs are good for 15 years of archival, and only cost $1.30 each. It will be a long time.

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heh, I was contemplating creating a topic like this a while ago, but figured I wouldn't get many replies so I gave up on that idea.

Back on topic... I'm assuming the end of disc-based media will happen when we switch over to digital distribution over the Internet completely - which won't happen in several years to come, given how the development of network infrastructure is kinda slow in some of the primary markets (think the US). I couldn't wait for it to happen, I hate discs, I've got about 10k discs (no joke) and I couldn't possibly keep them all in store. Compared to having stuff stored on hard drive, where it's searchable and won't deteriorate (because discs do deteriorate over time), having it on disc(s) is inconvenient.

Edit: regarding consumer media on solid state memory... that's still rather expensive to produce, especially if you want it to be fast enough to allow for decent data read rates, so... not likely for a very long time -- as mentioned above, it's more likely we'd see fully Internet-based distribution before consumer media on SSD.

I'm actually hesitant to buy boxed games these days as I find the disc format a major inconvenience. Steam is a godsend, in a sense.

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But just think. The next media player to replace DVDs could be a box with 100s of little slots to insert your SD card movies. You'd really never have to switch between them as it'd be like a 100 CD disk changer.

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Hiratai

I'm like *tick* *tick*
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But just think. The next media player to replace DVDs could be a box with 100s of little slots to insert your SD card movies. You'd really never have to switch between them as it'd be like a 100 CD disk changer.

Why not just a HD-PC?

/thread.

Because the companies will want to sell their product in the stores and consumers will want to actually be able to buy a physical object.
Seeing how iTunes has more buyers than a local Target does in a yearly time spread, I don;t believe so.

HD-PC, and a site to buy shows, movies, and all.

Now...

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Physical Objects ftw. Personally, I would hate to see everything downloadable only. I like going to stores and buying physical copys, it means something, rather than some filez. Downloading, in my opinion, will never replace physical objects, but I'm all for new formats. I doubt we will see SD cards replacing discs, but who knows what the future has instore?

rest0re

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
solid state drives ftw!
biggrin.gif

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I agree with others that distribution of content via downloading is more likely than a switch to flash media.

People state that consumers will only buy physical objects, we are seeing through iTunes, 360/PSN/Wii stores, Steam, etc... that people are willing to accept download of content as a purchaseable item.

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
My guess is 5 years. Chips get cheaper and cheaper... It's almost a throw away article. In the end it I think it will be cheaper for factories to build products without any moving/rotating parts, cause it's more durable.
Off course this is just my idea, probably there are lots of other theories...

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lets not forget data storage in Cyrstals.
Krypton throw out all their paper and even rocks and chizels for cyrstal based storage.

Though I think CD based storage is gonna stay a long time.
Its just nice to be able to burn data to something that isnt gonna eventually render itself dead one magnet garden sunday walk.
Its like etching a name on stone.
If you take care of it, it stays for good.
Same thing applies with CDs.
Cuase its really no differnt that etching stuff on a rock.
Cept its plastic, and much much smaller.
Not to mention protected by more plastic.

Compact Discs of any format can always be improved, but I think the main idea of burning data on a circular flat disc will stay with us a good long while.

Even crystal storage will have its problems once they figure out how to keep that stable.

SD cards arent as good as CDs btw.
As they have a Read/Write lifespan.
Sure its long enough to last most lifetimes, but its not the safest pllace to store your data for eions to come.

Not to mention a Hard Drive is one of the most violatile storage medias out there.
The design practicly begs to be shot in the leg.
About time to improve that system I say.

But anyway,
CDs, circular storage medias, whatever,
They gonna stay as the major backup solution.
Format upgrades will come, but the shape wont change.

SD cards are really just for portability over daata integrety anyway.

pikachucrackpipe

President
Trophies
Website
live.xbox.com
XP
Country
United States
considering optical discs grow in capacity every couple of years, it will be a long ass time. if it happens.

the cassette faded out due to lack of technology, output and recording time. among other things.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like the idea of video games appearing on flash memory or cartridge again. DVD has been such a revolution in the fact that it can not only be used for movies but for gaming as well. It's going to be a long time before we see something like that happening again.

Okay, okay, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray has potential but I don't see myself rushing out to buy one.

Doggy124

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thailand

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.