So when do we see the end of disc based media?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jumpman17, Oct 23, 2007.

Oct 23, 2007
  1. jumpman17
    OP

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    So, when do you think disc based media will phase out? I mean, we already have flash cards that can hold more then a dual layer DVD. It's only a matter of time until the price comes down. All this fuss about which of the 3 HD formats is gonna win just doesn't matter. HD discs aren't the future, flash based media is.

2. mfpants50

Banned mfpants50 Banned

United States
    7-12 years minimum. The factories are already in place for disk making, so are players, cases...there is a huge infastructure. Holographic discs are being made, with huge capacities. Cold plated DVDs are good for 15 years of archival, and only cost $1.30 each. It will be a long time.

3. cenotaph

Member cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Heh, I was contemplating creating a topic like this a while ago, but figured I wouldn't get many replies so I gave up on that idea.

Back on topic... I'm assuming the end of disc-based media will happen when we switch over to digital distribution over the Internet completely - which won't happen in several years to come, given how the development of network infrastructure is kinda slow in some of the primary markets (think the US). I couldn't wait for it to happen, I hate discs, I've got about 10k discs (no joke) and I couldn't possibly keep them all in store. Compared to having stuff stored on hard drive, where it's searchable and won't deteriorate (because discs do deteriorate over time), having it on disc(s) is inconvenient.

Edit: regarding consumer media on solid state memory... that's still rather expensive to produce, especially if you want it to be fast enough to allow for decent data read rates, so... not likely for a very long time -- as mentioned above, it's more likely we'd see fully Internet-based distribution before consumer media on SSD.

I'm actually hesitant to buy boxed games these days as I find the disc format a major inconvenience. Steam is a godsend, in a sense.

4. nexus7412369

Member nexus7412369 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Everything will be moved onto SD's and flash drives once disks are over, which will be a dumb idea since they cost more than a disk.

5. jumpman17
    OP

United States
    But just think. The next media player to replace DVDs could be a box with 100s of little slots to insert your SD card movies. You'd really never have to switch between them as it'd be like a 100 CD disk changer.

6. Hiratai

Banned Hiratai I'm like *tick* *tick*

United States
    Why not just a HD-PC?

/thread.

7. jumpman17
    OP

United States
    Because the companies will want to sell their product in the stores and consumers will want to actually be able to buy a physical object.

8. Hiratai

Banned Hiratai I'm like *tick* *tick*

United States
    Seeing how iTunes has more buyers than a local Target does in a yearly time spread, I don;t believe so.

HD-PC, and a site to buy shows, movies, and all.

Now...

9. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Physical Objects ftw. Personally, I would hate to see everything downloadable only. I like going to stores and buying physical copys, it means something, rather than some filez. Downloading, in my opinion, will never replace physical objects, but I'm all for new formats. I doubt we will see SD cards replacing discs, but who knows what the future has instore?

10. rest0re

Member rest0re GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Finland
    solid state drives ftw! [​IMG]

11. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    I agree with others that distribution of content via downloading is more likely than a switch to flash media.

People state that consumers will only buy physical objects, we are seeing through iTunes, 360/PSN/Wii stores, Steam, etc... that people are willing to accept download of content as a purchaseable item.

12. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    My guess is 5 years. Chips get cheaper and cheaper... It's almost a throw away article. In the end it I think it will be cheaper for factories to build products without any moving/rotating parts, cause it's more durable.
    Off course this is just my idea, probably there are lots of other theories...

13. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

when all teh lazers are needed to pewpew teh alienz

14. Doggy124

Member Doggy124 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    blue-ray disc

15. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    Lets not forget data storage in Cyrstals.
    Krypton throw out all their paper and even rocks and chizels for cyrstal based storage.

Though I think CD based storage is gonna stay a long time.
    Its just nice to be able to burn data to something that isnt gonna eventually render itself dead one magnet garden sunday walk.
    Its like etching a name on stone.
    If you take care of it, it stays for good.
    Same thing applies with CDs.
    Cuase its really no differnt that etching stuff on a rock.
    Cept its plastic, and much much smaller.
    Not to mention protected by more plastic.

Compact Discs of any format can always be improved, but I think the main idea of burning data on a circular flat disc will stay with us a good long while.

Even crystal storage will have its problems once they figure out how to keep that stable.

SD cards arent as good as CDs btw.
    As they have a Read/Write lifespan.
    Sure its long enough to last most lifetimes, but its not the safest pllace to store your data for eions to come.

Not to mention a Hard Drive is one of the most violatile storage medias out there.
    The design practicly begs to be shot in the leg.
    About time to improve that system I say.

But anyway,
    CDs, circular storage medias, whatever,
    They gonna stay as the major backup solution.
    Format upgrades will come, but the shape wont change.

SD cards are really just for portability over daata integrety anyway.

16. pikachucrackpipe

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    considering optical discs grow in capacity every couple of years, it will be a long ass time. if it happens.

the cassette faded out due to lack of technology, output and recording time. among other things.

17. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Are you saying that the blue-ray disc will be the future of disc based media? If so, LOL.
    If you're saying that the blue-ray disc will doom the disc based media, you're right.

1 person likes this.
  18. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I'd like the idea of video games appearing on flash memory or cartridge again. DVD has been such a revolution in the fact that it can not only be used for movies but for gaming as well. It's going to be a long time before we see something like that happening again.

Okay, okay, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray has potential but I don't see myself rushing out to buy one.

19. sirAnger

Member sirAnger GBAtemp Fan

United States

20. Doggy124

Member Doggy124 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    If they get cheap as DVD, who know?