Fire Emblem Echoes is coming
Fire Emblem Warriors is coming

it will survive this year

Mr. Elementle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone can throw around all conjecture they want, the simple truth is it's all up to the sales of the switch, everyone brings up "The DS will not replace the GBA" but at the time they honestly meant that, but the DS sold so much better than the GBA and had such a huge market that they would have only lost money if they continued supporting the GBA.

While i personally doubt that the switch will do that well (Especially for those too young to remember how hype the ds was, everyone and their grandma had one for everything from gaming, to recipes, to language learning, and if you had an r4 you had the coolest mp3player/ebook reader on the block) but if the switch sells so well that nintendo can't make a profit supporting the 3ds, then they'll discontinue it, if it sells allright but not as good as the 3ds they'll keep supporting the 3ds until they make a proper replacement or they feel it's not performing well enough. It's all about the money, the money maker gets the attention.

and if you are worried about the switch replacing the 3ds as the main handheld just remember, it's not the main nintendo handheld 'till it gets a main series pokémon game", if the switch gets gen 8 that's when it's all over for the ds line

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't just late last year nintendo have a huge 3DS Direct with a ton of games we haven't seen yet?
Like monster hunter double cross for USA.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Switch is advertised as a home console you can take with you, not a mobile console. Therefore, it was meant to supercede the wiiu.
The 3Ds should be fine for just a tad longer.

AyanamiRei

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Didn't just late last year nintendo have a huge 3DS Direct with a ton of games we haven't seen yet?
Do you mean the broadcast where they showed some games like the action RPG coming this year (Oasis something)?
Or was there another one since ?

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes and no.
I believe if the Switch does well that games will be made for them vs the 3ds.
Currently the 3ds is doing good and has a nice line of games coming. But only time will tell, games can start to drop off as we roll into next year.
By that time the Switch will be well known and as said if its doing good. Then more dev will support it and not make as many games on the 3ds.

Just think if next year pokemon comes out. And the Devs see the Switch doing good and a ton of people have them. Then all they gotta do is treat it as a 3ds and bring the games out on it.
I can 100% see a pokemon game on the Switch. Controls would be normal with touch screen added (like the 3ds ver) when in handheld mode.
You have build in wifi for trading, better system for better graphic and game play So why make a 3ds copy?

Thats just how i see it.
The Switch is the gap between handhelds and home system. And if Nintendo does it correctly they will discount the 3ds (and crap NEW 3ds OMG, the system is great but the name sucks and no games have been made for it. Only 3ds games with use of the c-stick. Feels like the sega 32x)

But yea the if done correct they will disconunt the 3ds and put all there games on the switch. Which will bring alot more games to there side

NeoNekaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm ok with 3DS living for a few more years. Seems Switch is being aimed at teens/adults so if 3DS is for kids only from now on I'm not even mad one bit. I always saw Switch as a successor to Wii U not so much 3DS. I see Pokemon finishing out the gen on it.

Last edited by NeoNekaku,

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it's not dead yet but it soon will be i give it within one year b4 ninty ditches it for thre switch. like they've done in the past both with the gba and the DS :P

rtur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I do think it will eventually die, but not just now, and not because of the Switch. The 3DS may be a 6 years old console, but they released the N3DS 2 years ago only, and they beefed up its power.

Though it WILL die eventually, and I'm a bit sad because they might stop the DS line, and just focus on the Switch.

I predict the 3DS dies when Nintendo Switch V2 is released (and the upgrades of the Switch will be dope as technology advance -- same power in smaller size)

leathco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the 3DS will survive through to 2018. So far, it is the primary money maker for Nintendo. Post Switch release, its still a great budget choice (100 dollars for the base console, vs 300 for the Switch) as long as Nintendo can keep it in stock in stores. That being said, the hardware is a bit long in the tooth, and I think we will either see Nintendo release a new handheld in 2018 or perhaps a mobile phone device licensed by Nintendo as their new handheld. The other option would be a "Switch Mini" featuring a smaller, phone sized screen instead of the tablet sized one, at a 200 dollar price point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: man that was some good Chinese takeout