so what is the fate of 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by eriol33, Jan 13, 2017.

1. eriol33
    OP

eriol33 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    is it dead already because of the switch? Switch is awesome, but at the same time I feel it's like putting a nail on coffin to both 3DS and Wii U.

2. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    Remember when they said the DS wasn't the successor to the GBA because they weren't sure how popular it would be? It's probably like that.

(wait, maybe the Switch is the successor to the GBA? :unsure:)

3. Posghetti

Posghetti Greninja Master

Mar 15, 2016
    United States
    Michigan
    The Nintendo 3DS and Wii U lines will die when the Switch is released imo, this is a biased opinion, so take it how you will.
    After the Switch is released, I'm absolutely sure that the 3DS and Wii U will die due to the Switch now being the main focus for Nintendo.

The Badge-lorette!? and ItsKipz like this.
  4. F4LK

F4LK GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2017
    Sweden
    3DS will probably survive for another few months, maybe even a year. Nintendo still cares about it.
    We will also still get a few good games for it this year, unlike the Wii u with only zelda being one of the games people will most likely buy. (maybe, because the switch version is probably superior)
    Rest is indie crap.

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    The Switch is replacing the HOME console, not the handheld. Nintendo still has PLENTY of 3DS plans still in the works.

6. GUST
    This message by GUST has been removed from public view by Issac, Jan 14, 2017.
    Jan 13, 2017
  7. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    3ds is as good as dead.

8. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    if Nintendo kills the DS style consoles for good, and doesnt have a new replacement i.e. 4KDS or something. Nintendo is dumber then we think.

Last edited by Flame, Jan 16, 2017
    SLiV3R, CayFun, Alex1234 and 5 others like this.
  9. GunzOfNavarone

GunzOfNavarone Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2016
    If 3DS was as good as dead, why would Nintendo have put out a call for 3DS hackers to help bolster the security of the system ? Would it not be a wasted venture ? I don't believe the 3DS is dead, it has and still is a very successful system and is a lot smaller (more mobile) and has a huge back catalog of games. Nintendo said they would still support it, although for how long is anyone's guess, but why cut revenue on a popular system, it wouldn't make good business sense.

SLiV3R, Alex1234, F4LK and 1 other person like this.
  10. Excellsiors

Excellsiors Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2016
    United States
    I doubt the Nintendo 3DS is anywhere near dead, there are still people actively developing it, and there is still active home-brews for it, with Nintendo's bounty program it just shows how much they really do care about finding exploits and patching them, the Nintendo 3DS is far from dead because of the Switch.

11. Scott Pilgrim

Scott Pilgrim Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2016
    3DS WILL be dead after all the releases already announced for it. Maybe in a year or so. I don't think Nintendo wants to continue selling 2DSs at 99$ next holidays with the new Mario being their main game in a 300$ console.

12. Excellsiors

Excellsiors Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2016
    United States
    While I understand your premise on that, Nintendo Switch Console is first and foremost a Home Console, it is marketed that it can be a portable console. The DS line has been a very successful line for Nintendo and I doubt they will do anything to replace that line, DS's will always be more portable and affordable for portable gaming. I would personally be shocked to be it considered "dead" within 1 year time.

13. Scott Pilgrim

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2016
    Don't get me wrong, I loved the DS line but... I feel that they may be moving more towards having just one system to develop for and then some mobile games to replace handheld games. It sucks... But it is one of the most probable directions they may be going

SLiV3R likes this.
  14. Excellsiors

Excellsiors Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2016
    United States
    Could be, but the issue with the Switch specifically is I've seen tons of disagreement and people being disappointed. The Switch once again got bit by the hype train and quite a few people are let down, Nintendo's Launch Titles for the console aren't anything to get excited about aside from Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Switch is going to have a lot to prove before it earns the trust. That could totally happen, and it may be a good business idea for Nintendo, but I don't think the Switch will be the console to accomplish that.

15. Scott Pilgrim

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2016
    Hopefully it will be. Zelda and Mario look like are good games but I feel you, this presentation sucked and many people backed off because of it

16. Svaethier

Svaethier GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 2, 2013
    United States
    Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
    I wouldn't be surprised if the new final fantasy like square enix game that they showed off at the switch event will also come to the 3DS, its already been confirmed we'll get a new Mario sports game and shin megami tensei game later this year, so I doubt they'll quit focusing on the 3DS family anytime soon,maybe early to mid 2018.

17. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    The 3DS came out nearly 6 years ago. The Switch isn't going to kill it, age will.

18. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States

Funny, in my mind Switch is a portable, which incidentally can also be played on your TV. That's how I'll be using it, anyway. But it's equally valid to say Switch is a home console, which can be taken on short trips outside the home.

majoru and AyanamiRei like this.
  19. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Not everyone has $300 on hand for a new system and $60 for each game. And for those who do, good luck finding one for a few months for less than a king's ransom on ebay.

I give the 3ds through next christmas as a legitimately supported platform. It is old, that's why I say that.

20. FeverishJackal

FeverishJackal Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    Nohr
    If "kill" is to mean"make nobody play it anymore," I doubt that'll happen for years. If "kill" means "stop game production for the 3DS," that'll happen a few months after switch's release

digr8one and The Badge-lorette!? like this.
  21. Sketchy1

Sketchy1 gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    well the ceo of nintendo of japan did say they will continue supporting 3ds. but with the switch within reach, good luck getting devs willing to work on it though.