Homebrew So what can we OG3DS peasants do with homebrew?

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
yea but it just seems most are gonna dump ideas for the old to go to 3ds new there may not be any known because people dropped and went to the new side how do we know all we know is there is not much after months of homebrew being known and most of us on the o3ds are clinging on a hope that many decent things will come out of this, and im sure im not the only o3ds user that comes on here weekly even daily hoping and praying to see something new ...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I would be at peace knowing something was being started, at least come on here and see, OH look a new game being made or OH look a fancy notebook drawing app is in the air for being made .. I don't care how long it takes to make I just want some hope that stuff is being made .. is that so wrong ?
Well, maybe a real possibility to have more things working on both Old and New 3DS could be related to optimization... If programmers optimize his homebrews very well (thinking on consumming a fewer possible resources on N3DS), maybe this process indirectly helps to have more stuffs working also on O3DS!

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What other retroarch builds run well on o3DS besides nxengine?

Gambatte, Picodrive (improving), gPSP (depending on kernel access), QuickNES, mGBA

Can't remember if there's others. You can check in the thread about Retroarch night builds. It's where I read it from.

AshleyCummings

Gamer Girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only get excited for gba because it seems we are not gonna get much as it is .. and at least there showing that something is trying to be made though annoyingly working on the new side .. I want to see people get creative I am not a coder but I want to see apps, games, utilitys, programs stuff that is usefull stuff that is fun, not just emulators ... I want to see that theres spark for that stuff not just gba, snes , idk n64 ... but when I come one here I see no new sparks no new ideas even if its just a post with text saying theres a new idea for a app that runs on O and N at least its something, and as I was brought up, something is better then nothing, I will never trade in my Pikachu 3DS XL it means alot to me and my mom helped get it this was the system I wanted and will never part sense the NX is coming they did state the wii u has a year but the 3ds is and will be phased along with the wii u I read flipboard ios app ... We must embrace what we have and is it so wrong to try to jump start some neat things for a system that will eventually end like the DS ..

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
QuickNES and Gambatte
Sorry, but Gambatte is not working full speed (or at least, playable) for me on my O3DS.

Gambatte, Picodrive (improving), gPSP (depending on kernel access), QuickNES, mGBA

Can't remember if there's others. You can check in the thread about Retroarch night builds. It's where I read it from.
GBA emus don't work very well on O3DS, actually! Edit: Well, at least no without kernel access as you said! :lol:

Last edited by fmkid,
Reactions: Jwiz33

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, maybe a real possibility to have more things working on both Old and New 3DS could be related to optimization... If programmers optimize his homebrews very well (thinking on consumming a fewer possible resources on N3DS), maybe this process indirectly helps to have more stuffs working also on O3DS!

Yes. Right now there's only being straight out ports of retroarch and obviously they're still in a very rough state. They haven't even ported all they can yet. And lets' remember that they do have life outside doing this. lol
So for all they've done so far and how well it runs, it's amazing how they did it in so little time. From now on is just the matter of optimization and of course things will get better with time. As long as people don't forget that there are limits power-wise, it's just a matter of waiting.

Reactions: fmkid

teampleb

BAH! DED! X_X
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, but Gambatte is not working full speed (or at least, playable) for me on my O3DS.

GBA emus don't work very well on O3DS, actually!
I don't have an o3DS. I can only go by what I'm told. Apparently some games are full speed.

mGBA gets like 20 FPS max on o3DS. I wouldn't call that running well.

Last edited by teampleb,

Jwiz33

Banned
Trophies
in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
Website
iwillcleanyourbasement.webstarts.com
XP
Country
United States

GBA emus don't work very well on O3DS, actually!
They're not perfect but there's many games that are playable. And you can alternate between emulators depending on your situation and on their improvement.
Name one game that runs at playable speed on o3DS.

Last edited by Jwiz33,

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That doesn't mean it runs well.

Well... True. I was probably using a too wide definition of "well". In any case, let's not forget CitrAGB too, especially for people with access to dynarec. It doesn't run as good as the N3DS but it's also improving.

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yep... With having only one or maybe two games that would run some well, that's doesn't mean GBA emu is working fine on O3DS, pitifully!

Even though I tried them, I still use the built-in VC instead of those emulators myself so I understand. Unfortunately that's only possible for people with kernel access.

teampleb

BAH! DED! X_X
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep... With having only one or maybe two games that would run some well, that's doesn't mean GBA emu is working fine on O3DS, pitifully!
mGBA doesn't run anything good on o3DS. 22 FPS is the max you're gonna get for now. It only runs one game on n3DS full speed so far.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every new piece of homebrew that has been developed works well in the O3DS, and of course N3DS. And by new, I mean not ported but written from scratch stuff.
Everything else are ports. Ports take a lot of work to do but it's still nothing in comparison to stuff made from scratch. And so, ports may or may not work well with a console. Afterwards, it's the dev job to try to optimize it. And that's what has been done. Even the retroarch ports have been improving in quality in the O3DS. But once again, there's always a limit you reach for certain things concerning power-wise. So some stuff will never work on the O3DS and others not even in the N3DS. But as far as the rest goes, it will keep being made for both and it will keep bring optimized for both. Usually having kernel access also helps, which right now doesn't exist above 9.2 so you have that limitation too.
So it would be like say, cps2 for the psp, 2 different versions 1 for the fat psp, or in this case o3ds that would need extra cache files to get working vs psp slim/n3ds which runs from the get go?

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
mGBA doesn't run anything good on o3DS. 22 FPS is the max you're gonna get for now. It only runs one game on n3DS full speed so far.

Honestly I don't know which of the three (mGBA, gPSP and CitrAGB) runs better with a no-kernel O3DS.

So it would be like say, cps2 for the psp, 2 different versions 1 for the fat psp, or in this case o3ds that would need extra cache files to get working vs psp slim/n3ds which runs from the get go?

I don't know how they'll try to optimize it for the O3DS. But at certain point, and if they're willing to do it, they might certainly apply different methods for one and the other. Even right now, they have to deal with kernel and non-kernel on both consoles. So it's just an headache development-wise.
Right now there's stuff that works perfectly on the N3DS and that doesn't really run that well on the O3DS. Some of them (not all) might change depending on optimization. But that's up to the devs that work on it.

Reactions: cvskid and fmkid

teampleb

BAH! DED! X_X
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I don't know which of the three (mGBA, gPSP and CitrAGB) runs better with a no-kernel O3DS.

I don't know how they'll try to optimize it for the O3DS. But at certain point, and if they're willing to do it, they might certainly apply different methods for one and the other. Even right now, they have to deal with kernel and non-kernel on both consoles. So it's just an headache development-wise.
Right now there's stuff that works perfectly on the N3DS and that doesn't really run that well on the O3DS. Some of them (not all) might change depending on optimization. But that's up to the devs that work on it.
mGBA is by far the best for non-kernel users.

Reactions: lemanuel

Osakasan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
By my experience, this is what runs GOOD:

GameYob
QuickNES Retroarch
BlargSNES
Pokemini 3DS
NXEngine Retroarch

Other things i tried:

mGBA - It DEFINITELY doesn't run well
FCeumm Retroarch - 50% speed
Ganbatte Retroarch - 70% speed or so. Maybe more. Not perfect, that's for sure

Wanna try more this week, maybe Picodrive as you mentioned earlier?

Reactions: fmkid and lemanuel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer