So we can't play SNES games on o3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by jailminer, Jun 8, 2016.

1. jailminer
    OP

jailminer Joel? Are you up at 6 AM making a Custom Title?

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    The specifications don't make sense, surely there's a way o3DS users can play SNES without an upgrade, right? I know it's an exclusive on n3DS, but really? The SNES has the power to play GBA games, so does o3DS, and if GBA is a 32bit and SNES is a 16bit console and can handle the GBA games, surely the o3DS can handle SNES games just fine. And yes, I know that the SNES needs an adapter to play GBA games, but the o3DS uses the Amiibo adapter to use Amiibo which was thought of a n3DS exclusive, so why can't we get 3rd party hardware to emulate SNES games?

TL;DR: Why exactly can't the o3DS emulate or play SNES games?

Last edited by jailminer, Jun 8, 2016
  2. gbaboy123
    This message by gbaboy123 has been removed from public view by Depravo, Jun 8, 2016, Reason: Off topic.
    Jun 8, 2016
  3. MsMidnight

MsMidnight part time fe modder

Oct 12, 2015
    kys
    SNES can play GBA ? What ?

4. jailminer
    This message by jailminer has been removed from public view by Depravo, Jun 8, 2016, Reason: Off topic.
    Jun 8, 2016
  5. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    1) I don't understand a word of what you're saying.
    2) O3DS can play GBA games perfectly because it uses native hardware.
    3) Use BlargSNES to play SNES games on O3DS.
    4) Read that.

EDIT: The SNES can play GB games, not GBA. And iirc, the GB adapter had a chip inside so the SNES could play those games correctly.
    EDIT2: The 3DS can play SNES games, and so does almost every recent computer / electronic device, but the accuracy level will be what will define the necessary ressources for the emulation.

Last edited by TheKawaiiDesu, Jun 8, 2016
    Xiphiidae, Tomato Hentai and Hayleia like this.
  6. Fazana

Fazana Professional Trashposter

Mar 7, 2016
    Local Chippy
    Because one bit of hardware pretending to be another bit of hardware is hard and taxing work.

Also you mean the super game boy right, which is actually GB. (not GBC, or GBA, just GB.) which was so low tech that even pocket calculators are more powerful than it.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  7. jailminer
    OP

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    Sorry I just got really excited while making this

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Confused Bewilderment.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

No I mean GameBoy ADVANCE. (Might just be video porting, but it is still possible.)

Subtle Demise likes this.
  8. rotebrotobias

rotebrotobias GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 31, 2015
    blargSNES is one of the best emulators for o3ds. You can play SNES games in full speed with that emulator.

9. jailminer
    OP

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    I am using it right now, didn't even know it existed! It's amazing!

10. TheKawaiiDesu

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    I'm pretty sure there is an additional chip inside the adapter (like in the DSTwo) that makes it possible. There's no way the SNES can emulate GBA games in a playable state at a playable speed.
    Yes, but it is *a lot* less accurate than SNES VC. In the end, it's always the same; you either get a not-that-much accurate emulator than can be used on less powerful hardware or a really accurate one that requires a lot of power.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  11. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Seems legit.

SG6000, Xiphiidae and TheKawaiiDesu like this.
  12. jailminer
    OP

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    Please read the whole thing before commenting.

13. TheKawaiiDesu

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Well you know I'm sure that if we optimise it enough we can emulate PS4 on O3DS :^)

Last edited by TheKawaiiDesu, Jun 8, 2016
    GalladeGuy likes this.
  14. GalladeGuy

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Please go to second grade before commenting. GB =/= GBA

Xiphiidae and TheKawaiiDesu like this.
  15. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    The Super Game Boy is an actual Game Boy system on a SNES cartridge. Same deal with that GBA cart, I'd imagine.

16. jailminer
    OP

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    You violated Terms of Service and Rules. Under Flaming, trolling & Harassment it clearly states, "Please show respect for all members at GBAtemp; new or old. Disparaging remarks towards others about race, gender, origin, handicap, age, sexual orientation, personal politics and religion will NOT be tolerated and will most likely be removed by staff. The poster will then be warned, suspended or banned (see the Warnings section below for more information on warnings)." Therefore, you are harassing a user on the forum. I suppose you do this to other so called 'second graders' in the community, so you are no better than I am. I was simply asking about why one console can't emulate another console, and you linked that to School Knowledge. Most schools don't allow you to emulate SNES games on 3DS' or even have one out, so I don't know where you linked those two together. By now I hope you realize that harassing other on a forum meant for users to share their ideas, or comment on others in a friendly way. However, I have seen today not an act of friendliness, but an act of hatred. I hope you will one day learn lessons on your actions, but for now you will remain at the action of bashing little school boys for not fully understanding that GB is not GBA.

17. GalladeGuy

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Get a sense of humor, m8. This doesn't even fall under that rule anyways, since this a discussion of fact, not opinion. You want to play SNES games on O3DS? Here you go: http://blargsnes.kuribo64.net/ You want something more accurate? This might be good for you: http://www.amazon.com/New-Nintendo-3DS-XL-Black/dp/B00S1LRX3W

Xiphiidae and TheKawaiiDesu like this.
  18. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Why has this thread gone on this long?

19. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If you look into it a bit, it even has its own external composite video cable. The only thing the SNES is used for is power and controller input. The SNES is more or less just an unused slab of plastic and the cart is doing all the work.

gamesquest1 and TheKawaiiDesu like this.
  20. Uziskull

Uziskull Picture may not be real

Nov 15, 2015
    Portugal
    Somewhere, probably
    OP, you got your answer, right? BlargSNES is the best SNES emulator for O3DS, so just stick with it (we're talking practically here, because if you just say "perfect emulator" the accurate squad will come and turn your opinion down). Also, please check other threads before creating a new one, this question isn't new, and the answer to it has already been given plenty of times.

On another note, people of GbaTemp, please don't post on threads like this if you don't know how to talk to people. Looking at what OP wrote, you can easily tell he's just asking why is playing SNES on O3DS a problem, so if you can't explain why without posting videos, snappy responses, or otherwise stupid comments just to get likes, you shouldn't post. Maturity, people.

Please close this thread.

21. jailminer
    OP

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    Thanks dude.