Homebrew So, umm... If tube|hax doesn't work anymore, will I be screwed so I can't re-load old saves anymore?

KoopaStarRpad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
It would be awful knowing that I can backup every DS/3DS game I ever had, but never dump them back if my cartridges' memory dies and I buy a new one...

DinckelMan

Your Favorite Water Mage!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can not run 3DS games with Tubehax
I don't think there's been a single case of memory loss issues with 3DS carts (correct me if I'm wrong)
All your digital copies of 3DS games have the saves stored on the SD card

Also, i have no idea what your physical carts have to do with Tubehax anyway

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
OK, I guess I'll translate. Here's what KoopaStar is saying.
Tubehax is the only method of launching homebrew which I currently have available on my 3DS. I've backed up the save files from all my cartridge games so that if anything ever goes wrong with my saves, such as hardware failure, I'll be able to restore my saves to working newly purchased cartridges.

However, I am concerned that at some future point, I will no longer have access to Tubehax (e.g. because I've updated by 3DS firmware to future version 10.0 or I accidentally updated my YouTube to a future patched release, or some other unforeseen event), and thus will no longer have access to a method of launching homebrew, and as such, no way to restore all these save games I backed up if I need to in the future. It would suck to be in that situation.
In response: yes, this is a valid concern to some extent. If Tubehax on a single 3DS is the only method of launching homebrew you have available to you, you do need to be proactive about not screwing up and losing access to Tubehax.

However, Tubehax is not the only method of launching homebrew and it's not certain that whatever makes Tubehax stop working would also make ninjhax, oothax, etc. stop working. So losing access to Tubehax does not necessarily the end of your ability to back up and restore save games, although it may mean you need to make a purchase of a new game upon which to run exploits.

There's also, obviously, the possibility of future exploits which aren't public currently but which could very likely allow you to run homebrew (and in particular, save management homebrew) on future versions. You shouldn't rely on the assumption that these will come, but it's not unreasonable to hope for them.

Another option, which may or may not be workable for you, is to get somebody near you who does have a 3DS with access to homebrew to back up and restore your saves for you. As long as they don't lose their homebrew access, with their help you can back up and restore saves to your cartridges without having to wait for a new exploit or purchasing an additional 3DS with homebrew access.

Lastly, there are physical, hardware tools for backing up and restoring save files. If you're especially concerned about losing your save files to a homebrew-less 3DS future, maybe you'd rather buy one of these tools which won't be affected by whether or not you have access to homebrew on your 3DS.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I guess I'll translate. Here's what KoopaStar is saying.

In response: yes, this is a valid concern to some extent. If Tubehax on a single 3DS is the only method of launching homebrew you have available to you, you do need to be proactive about not screwing up and losing access to Tubehax.

However, Tubehax is not the only method of launching homebrew and it's not certain that whatever makes Tubehax stop working would also make ninjhax, oothax, etc. stop working. So losing access to Tubehax does not necessarily the end of your ability to back up and restore save games, although it may mean you need to make a purchase of a new game upon which to run exploits.

There's also, obviously, the possibility of future exploits which aren't public currently but which could very likely allow you to run homebrew (and in particular, save management homebrew) on future versions. You shouldn't rely on the assumption that these will come, but it's not unreasonable to hope for them.

Another option, which may or may not be workable for you, is to get somebody near you who does have a 3DS with access to homebrew to back up and restore your saves for you. As long as they don't lose their homebrew access, with their help you can back up and restore saves to your cartridges without having to wait for a new exploit or purchasing an additional 3DS with homebrew access.

Lastly, there are physical, hardware tools for backing up and restoring save files. If you're especially concerned about losing your save files to a homebrew-less 3DS future, maybe you'd rather buy one of these tools which won't be affected by whether or not you have access to homebrew on your 3DS.
How did you get that from this? - "It would be awful knowing that I can backup every DS/3DS game I ever had, but never dump them back if my cartridges' memory dies and I buy a new one..."

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Temp-ray vision? I don't know, the Internet is full of vague, context-free postings; understanding them is a useful skill to have. Don't forget to factor in the thread title, which is about half of all the information in the original post.

KoopaStarRpad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Temp-ray vision? I don't know, the Internet is full of vague, context-free postings; understanding them is a useful skill to have. Don't forget to factor in the thread title, which is about half of all the information in the original post.
Thank you. My english is far from perfect, and I was in a hurry, so I leaved you all with some vague gibberish.
I know about the other methods, but yes, Tubehax is the only method I can use as of now. Oothax sounds good, though, but I have to get that remake first. It's about time I play that game.
My only concern is that Nintendo finds some method to force a Youtube update on me to start it, or just continues patching things until they do something big at the end of the 3DS's lifespan which ultimately destroys any hope of possible long-time exploits.
But I hope I can manage to install tubehax on my old 3DS with the black Top Screen, and always flip the Wi-Fi Switch when not using tubehax.
I was just way too precautious, I assume, thanks Vague Rant.

Pikasack

What is a title
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why can't someone make a desktop app that would install it? (assuming you had the digital version of ironfall or any other exploitable, or would having powersaves work?

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what, simple answer. Yeah you're screwed because we can't predict the future on how Nintendo plans to execute the update on youtube. We can't predict what the possibilities are with firmware 9.9. We can only go by what the news from respectable devs say, if they say they found something in youtube app, thats it. If they said they found something in IronFalls app, thats it. If they say it will load homebrew menu, thats all she wrote. If they said we're doomed now that these new encryptions screwed us, we can sit here and cry all day for something new or go buy what the next flashcard is available. Thats the game, thats how its played, thats gbatemp. Enjoy the ride.

Ask another crystal question.....

Jecoconono

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Get ironfall on a gateway and use ironhax on it. I was smart and didn't delete the game when i finished playing the demo.

ArmoredGuns1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best thing you can do to ENSURE that the homebrew method will always work is to never update the firmware from now on. If you need to update, you can always buy a second-handed (used) console and never update that one, and use that one for the homebrew. That's what I did with a very old, OG 3DS console that barely works. It's still 9.5 and it was my main method of having access to PKHex until now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim: @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit