So the DSi IS more powerful than the DS

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are no words on the actual processing power, but homebrewers are saying that the DSi has a considerably higher clock speed and memory count than old DS models. The reason is to handle the SD card slot and camera.

However, the higher clock speed is unavailable in regular DS games. The DSi switches to the slower clock speed when you try to play a normal DS game.

In addition to the news, DSi homebrew is expected to be made soon, making use of the better specs.

http://www.cubed3.com/news/11560

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Sweet! If that extra power could be diverted from the camera and SD Slot, this could add another reason to buy the DSi to the relatively short list.

JPdensetsu

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Taiwan
Nice to hear... BTW, someone already made a DSiBrew Wiki
smile.gif
Now, I'm really sure to buy me an European DSi... xD

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Does it say if homebrew needs to be recoded for the DSi side, or if existing homebrew can be quickly ported over?

Because existing emulators like SNEmulDS, Lameboy, NESDS, jEnesisDS, would run so much better with that improved spec.

FlashRevolver93

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
damienenterprises.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Dudes, we DO know the clock speed. It has a 133mhz ARM9 processor, as well the same 33mhz ARM7 processor. It will also have 16MB of ram.

C'mon guys, I've known about this since the beginning of November.
yaynds.gif

Btw, although these specs are a significant improvement from the DS lite, it still doesn't beat 333mhz processor with 64MB ram
yaypsp.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
The magic number is 7, and I think we've established the fact that something doesn't need to be 7x more powerful to emulate for quite some time now.
So you first "correct" his "magic number" and then go on to say that there is no magic number at all?

What?

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark_linis said:
m3rox said:
Dark_linis said:
More importantly, does this mean GBA emulation?

NO.

When will you guys stop asking that?
dude.... its not the same specs as dsl/phat so I think its a valid question.

dude.... the SNES doesn't have the same specs as the NES, that doesn't mean that it can emulate the Sega Genesis/Megadrive.

cornaljoe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
m3rox said:
Dark_linis said:
m3rox said:
Dark_linis said:
More importantly, does this mean GBA emulation?

NO.

When will you guys stop asking that?
dude.... its not the same specs as dsl/phat so I think its a valid question.

dude.... the SNES doesn't have the same specs as the NES, that doesn't mean that it can emulate the Sega Genesis/Megadrive.

The DSi already has the gba hardware it's just missing the Slot-2. The Slot-2 was replaced with 256Mb of NAND with is what most Slot-2 flashcarts contain, so it basically has a Slot-2 flashcart built-in.

mkoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
imz said:
no it's not, the DS is not 8 times more powerful than the GBA so it's not possible
I thought DS's co-processor acts as GBA cpu in GBA mode.
So If DSi still has ARM7 co-pcrocessor it's might be techicly capable of running GBA games natively. Like DS.
I'm prety sure Nintendo will launch a Virtual Console for DSi.
unsure.gif

Anorhc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mkoo said:
imz said:
no it's not, the DS is not 8 times more powerful than the GBA so it's not possible
I thought DS's co-processor acts as GBA cpu in GBA mode.
So If DSi still has ARM7 co-pcrocessor it's might be techicly capable of running GBA games natively. Like DS.
I'm prety sure Nintendo will launch a Virtual Console for DSi.
unsure.gif
Which further proves how low Nintendo will stoop to sell you the same game you already own on the GBA.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There have been emulators that do it without being 8x (and/or 7x, although the original magic number WAS 8), my God, and this has been known for over a year as well.

Really guys, really. This shouldn't turn into a friggin' "OMG GBA EMULATE, MAYBE?!" thread, because the people flaming on assumptions without knowing the least about emulation is not funny.

---
How low they would stoop?
The DS is so commonly 'modded' (if you can call it that since the flash cart is external) that the money they lose must be absurd, yet there are still so many games coming out? How many of you actually buy the first game, that you can bitch about a remake being made? Man, the companies are just lucky that the resolve of these people to make games is more than them caring about how many people pirate them...

I'm no exception, I pirate a bunch of it, but I just find it funny that you can pirate it and then whine when they try and 'sell you the game again', how sad...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-