XP
Country
United States
cornaljoe said:
m3rox said:
Dark_linis said:
m3rox said:
Dark_linis said:
More importantly, does this mean GBA emulation?

NO.

When will you guys stop asking that?
dude.... its not the same specs as dsl/phat so I think its a valid question.

dude.... the SNES doesn't have the same specs as the NES, that doesn't mean that it can emulate the Sega Genesis/Megadrive.

The DSi already has the gba hardware it's just missing the Slot-2. The Slot-2 was replaced with 256Mb of NAND with is what most Slot-2 flashcarts contain, so it basically has a Slot-2 flashcart built-in.

*sigh* No, it does not have the GBA hardware, that was taken out.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Also folks, don't hold your breath. Current DSi flashcards run in DS compatibility mode meaning its impossible for them to run any homebrew under DSi mode. Meaning that no matter what you do, you can't access the extra RAM, increased clock speed, the cameras or any other DSi exclusive features. The only way it would be possible is when the encryption the DSi uses is broken and so far, many have tried and they all have failed. Unless some major hardware exploit can be found, it likely won't happen without some sort of hardware modchip.

Also even if the DSi encryption is cracked, all the homebrew will have to be recoded to work on the DSi and also you will need new flashcarts as well that will work on the DSi. Meaning, if you already bought a DSi flashcart, you will have to buy another. The problem is, that DSiWare and Games don't work like DS hoembrew. They are ran on top of the DSi firmware sort of like an Operating System while with the DS, the firmware acts like a loader that laods the homebrew and games as if they are the OS. Meaning with a normal DS, everything has to be handled by the homebrew/game (Including WiFi) while with DSi apps, WiFi, the cameras and many other things are handled by the firmware.

So a whole new DSi development kit will have to be made as well as the firmware needs to be somehow decrypted and reverse engineered before suitable homebrew can be made. Also all this could easily be undone by future firmware updates by Nintendo as well. Meaning that those hacking the DSi have a daunting task in front of them.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I'm going to stab the next person who says anything involving multiples of power required to emulate another system. How do you even measure that shit? And where do hardware vs. software emulation fall in there? If your knowledge of emulation fundamentals involves multiplication, shut the hell up.

updowners

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vague Rant said:
I'm going to stab the next person who says anything involving multiples of power required to emulate another system. How do you even measure that shit? And where do hardware vs. software emulation fall in there? If your knowledge of emulation fundamentals involves multiplication, shut the hell up.

Yeah, it's starting to really piss me off as well. Every single time someone starts talking about emulation, some noob keeps on telling us that the system has to be 8/7x more powerful than the emulating system. Also N64 will not be possible on the dsi.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Costello said:
I hope it has better and faster WiFi support!
Has anyone been able to try this yet?
It has better wifi with DSiWare apps and such. It supports WPA and WEP encryption and its a bit faster. Though for normal DS games, you are stuck with only WEP support and the same WiFi speeds and such you get on a normal DS due to DS games and flashcarts run in a compatibility mode which limits them to the normal DS hardware specs.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:
Costello said:
It has better wifi with DSiWare apps and such. It supports WPA and WEP encryption and its a bit faster. Though for normal DS games, you are stuck with only WEP support and the same WiFi speeds and such you get on a normal DS due to DS games and flashcarts run in a compatibility mode which limits them to the normal DS hardware specs.
Well that's hugely disappointing. What's the point of adding WPA support if it doesn't work on DS games? It's not like I'm going to switch the security on my router back and forth. Hopefully I misunderstood you.
unsure.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The wifi connection stuff is built into each regular DS game, not necessarily the DS firmware itself. There's no way to give them WPA support without physically making new game cartridges.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Szyslak said:
Narin said:
Costello said:
Well that's hugely disappointing. What's the point of adding WPA support if it doesn't work on DS games? It's not like I'm going to switch the security on my router back and forth. Hopefully I misunderstood you.
unsure.gif

QUOTE(DanTheManMS @ Feb 2 2009, 04:27 PM)
The wifi connection stuff is built into each regular DS game, not necessarily the DS firmware itself. There's no way to give them WPA support without physically making new game cartridges.

What DanTheManMS said is true, DS games need to implement their own wifi support and don't use the firmware as a means to access it. Meaning that every DS game has to have the wifi code inside the game itself to implement WiFi and WEP. Because of this, its impossible to add WPA support for these games that haven't already implemented it. So instead, the DSi now has two wifi config screens. On screen has 3 settings that is use for DS games which only supports WEP and the other has 3 settings that contain both WPA and WEP support for DSiBrew and DSiGames.

imz

GBAtemp's vigilante
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Narin said:
What DanTheManMS said is true, DS games need to implement their own wifi support and don't use the firmware as a means to access it. Meaning that every DS game has to have the wifi code inside the game itself to implement WiFi and WEP. Because of this, its impossible to add WPA support for these games that haven't already implemented it. So instead, the DSi now has two wifi config screens. On screen has 3 settings that is use for DS games which only supports WEP and the other has 3 settings that contain both WPA and WEP support for DSiBrew and DSiGames.

So for flash cart users, could there be a patch for roms which enables them to be compatible with WPA networks?

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
imz said:
Narin said:

So for flash cart users, could there be a patch for roms which enables them to be compatible with WPA networks?

No, not possible.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:
imz said:
Narin said:

No, not possible.
ugh. What a bunch of crap. Makes adding WPA in the firmware pointless if only DSiBrew and end-of-life DS games can use it. As lame as it sounds, WPA was one of the main draws for me to get a DSi when they come out in the states. Now, not as interested.
dry.gif

Thanks for explaining it Narin.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Nighty night.