Hacking so i have a 8.1J FW N3DS with no browser, how can i exploit it?

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We need a list of whats possible on 8.1J and what is not.
The information is scattered all over the place, ao there might be ideas coming up multiple times.

So from the obvious first
Possible:
- Gateway 3DS -> Through Cubic Ninja? Or OoThax?

- MSET downgrade -> but no ROP chain available?

- Smashbroshax?

Not possible:
- Any browserhax (old Spiderhax, new Browserhax (Spider and Skater)) -> No Browser on 8.1

- Themehax -> No theme support (for all regions?)

- Ninjhax -> v1.1 Grabs data via webbrowser? v2.x has no support for 8.1

- Tubehax -> No payload generation for 8.1(also grabs data via webbrowser?)

- Ironhax -> No exploitation w/o other *hax (Tubehax).

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
At the very least, I can confirm that Gateway works through Cubic Ninja, and the MSET downgrade also works.

No forms of *hax works without an EmuNAND running a newer firmware due to no browser support. *hax 2.0+ obviously drops support for firmwares before 9.0 anyway.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
We need a list of whats possible on 8.1J and what is not.
The information is scattered all over the place, ao there might be ideas coming up multiple times.

So from the obvious first
Possible:
- Gateway 3DS -> Through Cubic Ninja? Or OoThax?

- MSET downgrade -> but no ROP chain available?

- Smashbroshax?

Not possible:
- Any browserhax (old Spiderhax, new Browserhax (Spider and Skater)) -> No Browser on 8.1

- Themehax -> No theme support (for all regions?)

- Ninjhax -> v1.1 Grabs data via webbrowser? v2.x has no support for 8.1

- Tubehax -> No payload generation for 8.1(also grabs data via webbrowser?)

- Ironhax -> No exploitation w/o other *hax (Tubehax).
8.1J has themes, at least my n3DS does

cultopi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At the very least, I can confirm that Gateway works through Cubic Ninja, and the MSET downgrade also works.

No forms of *hax works without an EmuNAND running a newer firmware due to no browser support. *hax 2.0+ obviously drops support for firmwares before 9.0 anyway.
8.1J has themes, at least my n3DS does
themehax needs browser, ultimately it all comes down to browserhax.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Oh shit., no web browser??... So you have to go to the eshop and grab it??... Which requires updating?
Yeah - but obviously you shouldn't update because you'll end up on 10.1.

No browser basically leaves very limited access points. Gateway have dedicated support for browserless 8.1 using Cubic Ninja or Ocarina of Time. In theory, any other access point that doesn't require a browser should work, such as maybe smashbroshax.

Themehax should work in theory, but requires another *hax to install, I believe.

I think it would be interesting to look at how Gateway have managed to ge their exploit to install through Cubic Ninja without a browser. It's impressive, not possible with any other hacks, and seems like the key.

Last edited by sj33,

justMaku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I believe OOT could be used to install themehax, but we would need to have a payload capable of launching HBL.

That still gives us just an user land access, then maybe we would be able to install NRT but that's a lot of back porting, which unfortunately doesn't make sense for such a small user base. I just returned my console, was kinda hard as they didn't want to accept an item bought tax free. Fortunately they did one time exception. Japanese salesman are really kind <3

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
8.1J consoles seem to be extremely easy to obtain in Japan. I got mine a few weeks ago from Tsutaya, supposedly used but it seemed brand new. I suspect it had never even been turned on. I think a lot of retailers in Japan are selling excess stock as 'used' to clear it.

So I'd guess there are more 8.1 consoles out there than we realise.

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
themehax needs browser, ultimately it all comes down to browserhax.

Does it need browserhax to work? Or only to install? Because there are offline installers for themehax which gather the payloads from the SD card.

Maybe my understanding of it is wrong, but smea once said that you need a browser for Ninjhax to work (not only installing!), but also to use it. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Seita

Trophies
XP
Country
If you can borrow a sky3ds. You'll be saved. Lol
Get cooking mama 5 rom to update sysnand to 9.2. Then install pasta cfw. Download 9.2 firmware from the iso site and install it with sysupdater. There you go. Exploitable firmware with browser :)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Get cooking mama 5 rom to update sysnand to 9.2. Then install pasta cfw. Download 9.2 firmware from the iso site and install it with sysupdater. There you go. Exploitable firmware with browser :)
How is he going to install Pasta CFW without the browser? Game updates don't include it.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Japanese Cooking Mama doesn't come with the 9.2 update.

cultopi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you actually tried this?

Seita

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah. Sorry for that. But there are other roms that include 9.0 J update.
Pasta requires cubic ninja. Correct me if I'm wrong about it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.