So Dolphin is actually emulating Wii's virtual console which actually emulates retro games, right?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by eriol33, Mar 18, 2017.

1. eriol33
    OP

eriol33 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    Hi, I just recently discovered that we can actually use dolphin to go to wii channel and buy games, so does it mean Dolphin is actually emulating virtual console which emulates all those retro gaming consoles? Can someone explain me in layman's terms how this is possible?

I am just very impressed with this achievement, and somehow I cannot really understand how it works (emulating an emulator). how accurate are the emulations will be compared to the stand alone emulators? or maybe even better?

CatmanFan and Coolsonickirby like this.

2. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    Dolphin emulates the way the the Wii runs its files. The virtual console game essentially has no idea its not running on actual hardware.

The Virtual Console is designed to run on Wii hardware. It is an emulator built for the Wii's operating system. Since Dolphin is emulating it (extremely well BTW), the Virtual Console game will run just like on the Wii.

hobbledehoy899 and CuriousTommy like this.
  3. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Yes, OP. Now help me identify the appropriate meme.

shyamalan waht a twist
    [​IMG]

xzibit yo dawg
    [​IMG]

4. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Actually did my first 120 star completion in Super Mario 64 in dolphin. O.o It's amazing. Emulating emulation inside an emulator. LFG

linuxares likes this.
  5. Biduleman

Biduleman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2006
    Canada
    Québec
    Yes, it's even one of the best way (or at least used) to play Pokemon Snap on PC.

6. N7Kopper

N7Kopper Proud lover of a three-inch girlfriend

Aug 24, 2014
    Imagine the far off future where you need to emulate an OS which is currently considered modern to get Dolphin to run.
    Threefold recursive emulation!

7. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    What if we run Dolphin on a virtual machine inside a virtual machine then inject an emulator in VC and run an emulator on that emulator?

boomario and Catsinabucket like this.
  8. HeavyMetalLoser

HeavyMetalLoser Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2016
    United States
    Wait, Dolphin can access the Wii Shop Channel!?

9. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Apparently so, I have no idea how it works, or why people would want to use inaccurate emulators inside of an emulator, it's very CPU intensive to do so by the way.
    https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2017/03/16/proof-of-purchase/

Well yeah, that...huh?!

Last edited by the_randomizer, Mar 24, 2017
  10. HeavyMetalLoser

HeavyMetalLoser Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2016
    United States
    So Dolphin can emulate the Wii so accurately that even Nintendo's own online services are fooled!? Whoever programmed this emulator is a freaking genius.

11. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    I'm still not sure what everyone thinks is so amazing about it. They just added network support for the system menu and fixed some bugs relating to the certificate chain. :)

The emulation is already part of the the VC titles and the consoles are so old that they don't require much processing power.

12. shinrukus

shinrukus Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2013
    United States
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    What if you have an ESXi host, with a Windows 10 VM, running Bluestacks, running Dolphin, running an NES emulator injected into a GBA VC title, through Virtual Console. Mind:Blown

parrotgeek1 and LaPingas like this.
  13. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    You could probably throw UAE in there and emulate the Amiga OS with emulators running in it, too. :P Virtualization is fun!

14. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Emulating a VC game on top of Dolphin does add extra required CPU power, but IDK why people would want to use the VC when homebrew/non-Dolphin nostalgic emulators are way more compatible XD

15. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    it's just emulating wii and what it does, nothing much more than that :v

16. Biduleman

Newcomer
    May 3, 2006
    Canada
    Québec
    Because now, if you want to be legit and not a pirate you can pay for your games on the eShop. Now if Nintendo wants to shut the project down they can refer them to the Lawsuits against Bleem! and Connectix Virtual Game Station and tell them to get bent.

17. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Oh, no, I didn't mean getting the shop working wasn't good. I just read the commit notes and saw the changes. :) You could always play legally purchased channels, you just had to dump your Wii's NAND or use Bluedump to make WADs of them and install them.

18. Biduleman

Newcomer
    May 3, 2006
    Canada
    Québec
    Yeah, but now you just have to dump your nand one time, no need to dump individual wads. That's nice if your Wii broke.

GreyWolf likes this.
  19. eriol33
    OP

eriol33 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    now this makes me curious, one of these days I will try to dump my nand and experience this magic myself.

20. Jacklack3

Jacklack3 ( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here

Oct 6, 2015
    Canada
    In your basement Dick Size: 5 meters.
    Emulate Dolphin to Wii emulating GameCube emulating 3DS emulating DS emulating SNES emulating Game Boy emulating Atari 2600.