So, CAN a Gateway EmuNand be flashed to SysNand?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Wowfunhappy, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Wowfunhappy
    OP

Wowfunhappy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 14, 2008
    United States
    Just curious for the future. I keep hearing conflicting information about this and I would like to know what the reality is, for both the New 3DS and the Old 3DS's.

Perhaps someone with a hardmod could try...?

2. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    No, it will just brick the system
    Gateways Emunand has alot of stuff modified for it to work with the features

3. Random Joe

Random Joe GBAtemp Fan

Dec 16, 2014
    United States
    Brick Party :grog:

4. Aurora Wright

Aurora Wright GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    If someone provides you with working firm0/1 decrypted partitions from a sysNAND dump and you inject them in your emuNAND dump (versions must match, like: 9.0-9.2 FIRM dump + 9.0-9.2 emuNAND) it works. You can do this with rxTools

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    still only gets you a updated sysnand though, i think people think they can use injected cia's or somthing through the magic of emunand

6. Aurora Wright

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    Sure, I think that's what OP meant (?)

7. Wowfunhappy
    OP

May 14, 2008
    United States
    Not quite sure I understand, but I actually think I meant the opposite. Can an emuNAND dump be flashed back to SysNand or will it cause a brick?

Not contradicting your answer, but this reasoning doesn't make a lot of sense. All of Gateway's features work perfectly find under SysNand if you boot into Gateway mode without an EmuNand SD card inserted. I installed SaveDataFiler to my SysNand at one point because I wanted to transfer an eShop save and was too lazy to set up EmuNand—yes, this was probably stupid, but it worked perfectly fine.

8. Kylecito

Kylecito eats warnings for breakfast

May 6, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    and why do you think you lose the exploit when you power off the console? everything GW does is patched on the fly. you will never, ever be able to boot an improperly signed image

9. Aurora Wright

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    That's what I actually explained how to do. The emuNAND dump is incomplete, it lacks the proper firm0 and firm1 partitions for that version. It looks like those aren't console-unique so you can get them from someone who has a working sysNAND dump for that version and decrypted it with rxTools. Then you can inject them into your emuNAND dump with rxTools and it'll be ready for sysNAND.

10. Wowfunhappy
    OP

May 14, 2008
    United States

I know that... but that's the just it, everything Gateway does patched is patched on the fly, isn't it? If they don't actually modify the Nand, why would flashing EmuNand to SysNand not work?

To be clear, I'm not trying to find a way to launch unsigned cias on SysNand! I'd like to know if it's possible to make a modification to emunand, boot it to see if it causes a brick, and if it doesn't, flash it back to SysNand.

Ah, that makes more sense now, thank you!

What if EmuNand was on a version past 9.2? Since those versions aren't exploitable, is it possible to obtain firm0 and firm1 partitions for those versions?

Edit: Wait, I see... Xorpads don't change between versions, so someone with a hardmod installed could dump xorpads under ≤9.2, update, then dump his or her Nand.