Homebrew Snes9x RX - A new fork.

Which one is the typography you think should be the main one from now on? (Images on page 22)

• Earthworm Jim 2

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Kirby Super Star

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Super Bomberman 2

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Earthworm Jim

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

InfiniteBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@niuus I made a new pull request that adds a toggle to hide/show the Save SRAM button in the save menu UI. It's your call if you want to merge it in, not super important but definitely a nice-to-have kind of thing.

Has anyone else been annoyed with the Save SRAM placement in the GX UI, or is it just me? Literally every SRAM state I've ever made was on accident from trying to navigate to Save New State too quickly lol. This toggle lets you omit the button from the UI entirely.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
@niuus I made a new pull request that adds a toggle to hide/show the Save SRAM button in the save menu UI. It's your call if you want to merge it in, not super important but definitely a nice-to-have kind of thing.

Has anyone else been annoyed with the Save SRAM placement in the GX UI, or is it just me? Literally every SRAM state I've ever made was on accident from trying to navigate to Save New State too quickly lol. This toggle lets you omit the button from the UI entirely.
A toggle to give the user some more flexibility about hiding a feature that seasoned quick players (like me) tend to inadvertently press sometimes, while just wanting to make a new savestate??? Heck yes, count me in. :lol:

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Will there be some MidnightPurple.zip version?
Done. All previously available styles are uploaded, along with a new addition: Metallic Red.
3jGJOSY.jpg

Updated all previews on the first post.

Question... I doubt it, but does the switch pro controller work with this emulator?
Nope, I don't own one of those.

Tanooki16

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Attachments

• Snes9x RX Update.zip
    33.7 KB · Views: 26

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Sorry, i haven't read both threads. I have used GX before but what are the differences of RX and TX forks?
Snes9x RX is based on Snes9x 1.52 which gains to have more performance for those heavy SNES games such the ones with SA-1 or Super FX chips, it also removes those settings of GX which are useless or breaks the Wii or the performance of the games :)

Snes9x TX is based on Snes9x 1.60 which gains a bit more compatibility with SNES games, and like RX, it also removes those settings of GX which are useless or breaks the Wii or the performance of the games.

Nomado

Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
Snes9x RX is based on Snes9x 1.52 which gains to have more performance for those heavy SNES games such the ones with SA-1 or Super FX chips, it also removes those settings of GX which are useless or breaks the Wii or the performance of the games :)

Snes9x TX is based on Snes9x 1.60 which gains a bit more compatibility with SNES games, and like RX, it also removes those settings of GX which are useless or breaks the Wii or the performance of the games.
Thanks for replying. So i am sure both forks will improve more in the future. If you were to choose between GX, TX and RX and use as a main one for SNES, which is currently the best?

Tanooki16

Trophies
XP
Country
France
No need to ask, both are very good, after that it's up to your preference. But as said above, RX and TX are complementary (not for nothing that RetroArch has several Snes cores), and no version is worse or better than the other (core 1.52 has advantages and disadvantages, same for core 1.61) .

InfiniteBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need to ask, both are very good, after that it's up to your preference. But as said above, RX and TX are complementary (not for nothing that RetroArch has several Snes cores), and no version is worse or better than the other (core 1.52 has advantages and disadvantages, same for core 1.61) .
What would you say the main advantages of TX compared to GX are? Is it mostly additonal features outside the core emulation?

Thanks for adding the Hide SRAM feature too, I was about to ping you about that in the TX thread lol.

johw

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@niuus Here it is done ;) I put saving Show Framerate/Local Time in the settings, and Stereo Inversion ^^

I did the update on the last PR by InfinteBlue: https://github.com/niuus/Snes9xRX/pull/52/commits/0cd287a392db968a4afad86a93c56d23ae65eb70 (which I tested, convenient and works very well, like everything else it does)

I'll let you compile and test, because I already have a fully configured devkitt, but normally there are no problems (tested with TX)
with this change is it possible to make the card so gamecube Sp2SD2 work?

Tanooki16

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@InfiniteBlue To be honest, not much except some personal settings and parameters (that I shared and that are mainly on the GX and RX) because Snes9x TX is a bonus (moreover for the advanced of Snes9x GX with core 1.60 it is especially to bladeoner that we owe it). At first I just wanted the GUI to look like FCEUX TX (which is my main work, because the FCE Ultra GX has been almost abandoned for several years).

This makes Snes9x RX the only really different one (core 1.52 and compiled with custom libraries). In short the work of niuus for Snes9x on Wii/GC is indispensable! As mine is for FCEUX (which unlike Snes9x TX, has become more advanced than FCE Ultra GX).

That's why it's useless to ask which one is the best, because if it's for the performances the honest answer is Snes9x RX ! (which only lacks a new GUI to be perfect @Muliro ^^)

@johw Nope, but if niuus feels like it, it will.

Last edited by Tanooki16,

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Nice discussion going on in this page. :grog:

Some thoughts:

Can the RX and TX forks just merge their code already, so we get the best of both? I have that we have 2 emulators that I have to switch between.
That makes absolutely zero sense. This is one of the reasons I update the manuals/readme/first post a lot: so you all can read the differences. You see, the whole focus of RX, and the very big reason why I started work on it, was to learn a bit on how to improve the emulators to my liking, and also to specifically not use changes that affected speed, specially for the weaker brother in the Nintendo's PowerPC processor consoles, which is the Gamecube, the very first console that started myself on the path of homebrew, compiling minor changes 15+ years ago, and awesome retro memories, circa 2006.

This being said, you can't just throw them and merge them, as RX uses a different core to keep up with full speed. This is exactly what I wanted from the very beginning. As @Tanooki16 perfectly encapsulated, this is the same reason why there are 4 Snes9x cores on Retroarch, they are complementary.

You improve emulation accuracy, speed is going to get hit somewhere between. It's the rule for emulation on all platforms. Consoles can't be upgraded in specs. So now you see why you can't just always upgrade accuracy indefinitely?

Sorry, i haven't read both threads. I have used GX before but what are the differences of RX and TX forks?
The whole point of the threads is for users to also read the info, understand and collaborate... :ninja:

Thanks for replying. So i am sure both forks will improve more in the future. If you were to choose between GX, TX and RX and use as a main one for SNES, which is currently the best?
Again, you use what your needs dictate. There is no best for everyone.

The whole point of having options is to encourage the user to use the one(s) that fit their needs. We pour a lot of heart into updating the threads with highlights, photos, info, etc., and in my specific case, I strive in maintaining RX's readme updated, so show us that you care and enjoy the software, by reading too! B-)

Like Trunks and Goten :P joking aside it is not possible because not based on the same core. but despite everything they are complementary, you need both ^^
BTW, cool initiative for exposing the sound options, that menu kinda felt very lonely before. :rofl:

Last edited by niuus,

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Phew. After work, i'm done with a long round of implementing, bug squashing and testing. Gonna sleep a bit and prepare the releases in some hours, 5.1.0 incoming. Special thanks to @InfiniteBlue and @Tanooki16 for making the latest round of Snes emulator updates super fun to check and play. Long time users should be happy all different emus are receiving so much love lately.

* RX/GX: Saving "Show Framerate" and "Show Local Time" options for next boot.

* RX/GX: Saving "Super FX Overclock" option. Right now, even though the value is maintained in the config file, it is not applied in-game at next boot, you need to manually select your OC number again for it to work.

* RX/GX: Pressing B in the Main Menu should be able to allow you to cycle between Game List, Settings-Exit button, and the Credits button in the upper corner.

* RX: "Display Virtual Memory" not hiding the value.

* Y-X-B-A mapped to the Right Analog Stick, like when you use the Xbox 360 Controller.

* Turbo Mode/Fast-Forward can be turned off/remapped

* Use Mouse in alternate port.
* Use Multitaps (8-player).
* Reverse Stereo.

* Use Satellaview BIOS if present ON/OFF. (you wouldn't have to rename or delete the file manually)

* Toggle to hide/show the Save SRAM button
Mucho features in so little time. Amazing. :grog:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water