Homebrew SNES9x for Old 3DS

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i might be imagining things, but the bof2 fade to black effect seems to go over slightly quicker

as for the zip thing, is it possible that, for that to work, you need not only to recognize a file inside the zip, but also temporarily unpack it, either to sd or ram too?

JMSMORIARTY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@bubble2k16 The sound volume was so necessary on some games like Earthbound...

And just for know, how i can make a .cht cheat from a game genuine code ? for example for the ultimate weapons on Earthbound... I have the code, and try to make it with C++ and save it as .cht but it didn't work.

Wargla

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Confirmed installable, works great!

Edit: Some confusion on the wiki. Do we call the latest release v0.4 or v0.40? The download says v0.40 but the app says v0.4.
I confirm as well :)

@bubble2k16 BTW I tried Secret of Mana but I am stuck just after screen title, when we enter the name. A lot of letters ar missing and it is not possible to continue :(
I suppose you are already aware about this. Will it possible one day to resolve this issue ?
And of course, thanks for the great emu.

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I don't know what black magic bubble2k16 did on this latest update, but this is pretty much perfect now, considering the very limited power of the original 3DS.
Seriously, excluding the games that use extra chips, it's now just a handful of games that are not in a playable state.
I'm updating the compatibility list as we speak, and most of the issues I previously had are gone.

Reactions: DrkBeam and nooby89

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once my SD card reader comes in and I can update to the current build, I'll resume testing as well as backtrack to previously tested titles to see what (if anything) changed :)

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
@Wargla, @LongTimeLurker - Thanks for the confirmation! Will build CIAs this way from now. :)

@Wargla - Yup the screen title is running in pseudo hires mode. it's currently not implemented yet. :) yes, I'll try to see how BlargSNES does it and may try to do it sometime.

@LongTimeLurker - Hm... never thought of that. Haha. Perhaps v0.4 would be better?

@yoshinatsu - Thank you for the helping with the compatibility list! There are still a number of sprite layering problems to fix. I suspect the Chrono Trigger one might be easy to fix. But the Super Mario All Stars may be difficult to fix without changing the rendering engine.

@mqk9999 - Thank you for the testing too!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@Clydefrosch - Hmm. I am not that sure either. The original Snes9x already has codes to load ROMs from zip files, and I am assuming it should be working already, unless it is not capable of handling new versions of zip. That or, it uses too much memory trying to unzip the file. Will have to look into it when I have the time. :)

Last edited by bubble2k16,

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
@Wargla - Yup the screen title is running in pseudo hires mode. it's currently not implemented yet. :) yes, I'll try to see how BlargSNES does it and may try to do it sometime.

It's pretty much squishing the tiles horizontally/vertically by half, and extending the range of tiles to be written. Filtering will help it not look so bad, especially with text like what SoM uses. Hi-res modes always use 16x16 pixel tiles.

If your using a matrix that adjust polygon stuff in the vertex shader, then you could manipulate that and let the GPU handle processing instead of having to individually adjust the polygons you send in by the CPU.

Last edited by DiscostewSM,

Knight of Time

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Um, just curious but would it be possible to emulate the mouse and/or Super Scope by using the stylus (in the case of the latter, I was thinking of either holding it continuously against the screen or pressing it repeatedly but gently against it)? I suppose the only way that would be feasible is if the way to open the SNES9x could be changed to a button or button combination that the user could choose, which should also include tapping the stylus against the screen to make that method the preferred choice again.

On a similar note, would it be possible to have a universal or per-game basis to change what buttons would allow you to save state or load state, like in CATSFC? The other emulator is pretty good, but I personally think this version of SNES9x has more potential.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
@DiscostewSM - Thanks for the suggestion. But due to the way the original Snes9x handles clipping, there may be some work to be done clipping tiles in hi-res mode. May put this off under I rework the clipping engine in the 3DS port. :)

@Knight of Time - Yes I have thought it about it before. What you suggested is great, but I was additionally thinking of moving the game screen to the bottom, so that the stylus can be used to tap on the game screen directly. But this is going to something that I will do only much later, if time permits. Save / load state using a hot key can be considered too, but right now, have other things to focus on. :)

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

[USER=251243]@mqk9999
- Thank you for the testing too![/USER]

No problem :) If you need anything in particular tested, feel free to let me know and I'll prioritize it. I've tested over 100 titles so far and have very little to actually report. That's a testament to how well this port is working. Even stuff like Super Castlevania IV and Umihara Kawase (JP) play perfectly. I do have a question though regarding audio/sampling distortion. Do you know what's going on with that, or is it still something that's being investigated? The audiophile in me is more curious than anything. And should I be noting audio-related quirks/bugs/issues as well?

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't know what black magic bubble2k16 did on this latest update, but this is pretty much perfect now, considering the very limited power of the original 3DS.
Seriously, excluding the games that use extra chips, it's now just a handful of games that are not in a playable state.
I'm updating the compatibility list as we speak, and most of the issues I previously had are gone.
Actually Yoshi's Island runs at full speed in gameplay and Doom runs at 20 fps, if someone deals with dynarec it will most likely to get full speed on most of SFX games :)

montero3006

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Awesome update to an awesome project! Lots of thanks! The bug that i comment at bosses in Super MArio World now are corrected now in v0.4 and i beat #4 Ludwig right now.
But i find a new visual bug but this one not affect to the gameplay. You can see the bug at my first screenshot. Sorry for my bad english.

Attachments

• snes9x_00185477.bmp
    187.6 KB · Views: 256
  • snes9x_00746983.bmp
    187.6 KB · Views: 212
  • snes9x_00803931.bmp
    187.6 KB · Views: 197
Last edited by montero3006,

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mqk9999 - Of course, by all means, please go ahead to test the Japanese games! By the way, please continue to post any other problems you find in English or non-English games. There might be some things that I do not know yet. :) Like the Actraiser 2 problem you mentioned.

@suzsuzuki - Hmm... I'm not sure what's the problem. Can you send me your codes?

Oh if any gateway users can share if the current CIA is installable, that would be great.
Gateway 3ds user here. Just want to confirm that it installs fine now. Thank you. :)

Baoulettes

The lonely man
Trophies
Website
www.baoulettes.fr
XP
Country
France
Finally !
I can play Super Mario kart in 60fps (almost !)
It does come really handy for the incoming days !
So I tried mario kart (us) i'm mostly at 59.9 fps with time to time drop to 55 but no more.
So thank you really a lot that actually the only emulator that run that game properly for me :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    No one expects the database errors!!!
    +2
    Hey a thought occurred to me... If they are unexpected database errors, are there expected database errors?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, that's just a pre-order term to make the product look better it's not sold out
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never expect a website to last 24/7 it's like section 8
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    good afternoon fellas
    +1
    Gotten tag!
    Gutten lol
    Autocorrect isn't always correct
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    however,sad news today, although idk if i can say it bc it relates to a rom site
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rom or Ram site? Cause there's a big difference
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    rom,like game files
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    know what? to paraphrase sonic: "no GBAtemp rule in the universe is gonna stop me"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    vimm's lair had to remove a bunch of games because of nintendo, sega, and lego
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Got taken down? Another one bites the dust
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not taken down, but had to remove a bunch of games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sirloin sounds good tonight
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah it does
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    RIP Vimm's Lair (most of the games anyway), you will be missed

also i think this is a great time and reason to bring back a hashtag previously used about ubisoft
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    #stopkillinggames
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    #mailmesomesirloinsteak
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mail you deeze nuts
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That be cheap, flat rate small envelope. Me- "Hey this envelope is empty, oh that makes since."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still fits in your mouth the same way
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Still fits in your mouth the same way