Homebrew SNES9x for Old 3DS

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Edit: Some confusion on the wiki. Do we call the latest release v0.4 or v0.40? The download says v0.40 but the app says v0.4.
They're essentially the same number. With software revisions, the latter should be read as 'zero point four zero', not 'zero point fourty'.

The zero explicitely denotes that it is not a 'sub-revision' between 0.4 and 0.5. Thus, 0.4 = 0.40.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Didn't realize that 0.4 was already aviable, i haven't updated since 0.33

I already noticed a slight improvement on Dracula X 1st stage.

What a time to have a 3DS, really,

Reactions: yoshinatsu

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
With this kind of performance we have, I personally think the main focus now should be on sound. That's the only one part where this emulator is lacking compared to blargSNES.
I know bubble2k16 has mentioned he has limited knowledge on sound, so if anyone else could contribute to this project, we'd be eternally grateful.

Louis Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This Snes emulator is amazing!! I'm a really big snes fan and i love it, to play my games on my 3DS with this great emulator. I hope this project will never end :D
But would be multiplayer over Download Play working? I've found out, that a non-hacked 3DS CAN play gamehacks from an hacked 3DS. Do you think, that would be possible with Snes9x :D

LongTimeLurker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@LongTimeLurker[/USER] - Hm... never thought of that. Haha. Perhaps v0.4 would be better?

Sure haha, looks like it already got changed to v0.4 across the board!

They're essentially the same number. With software revisions, the latter should be read as 'zero point four zero', not 'zero point fourty'.

The zero explicitely denotes that it is not a 'sub-revision' between 0.4 and 0.5. Thus, 0.4 = 0.40.

Yes but on a wiki with hundreds of entries it's inconsistent to have half of them written as "0.40" and the other half written as "0.4". There wouldn't be a problem if there was an actual correct answer, because we'd just use that. I agree that aesthetically 0.40 would usually be more clear and concise, however we already have v0.2 and v0.3 so because it actually says v0.4 in the app, we might as well just stick with v0.4.

Edit:

This Snes emulator is amazing!! I'm a really big snes fan and i love it, to play my games on my 3DS with this great emulator. I hope this project will never end :D
But would be multiplayer over Download Play working? I've found out, that a non-hacked 3DS CAN play gamehacks from an hacked 3DS. Do you think, that would be possible with Snes9x :D

Without a link explaining why an unhacked 3ds would be able to run unsigned code just because it was transferred over by download play, I'm gonna have to call bullshit, sorry :).

Imagine how easy homebrew access would be on all firmwares all the time if that was a fact. Also I'm pretty sure if an exploit like that existed, it would have gotten patched on the NDS.

Last edited by LongTimeLurker,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Didn't realize that 0.4 was already aviable, i haven't updated since 0.33

I already noticed a slight improvement on Dracula X 1st stage.

What a time to have a 3DS, really,
I wondered what happened to you, I still remember all your O3DS-related rants! Luckily things are better than ever for the O3DS.

Reactions: Osakasan

Louis Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Without a link explaining why an unhacked 3ds would be able to run unsigned code just because it was transferred over by download play, I'm gonna have to call bullshit, sorry :).
I meant, when i start a hacked 3ds game and start a Downloadplay with an unhacked 3DS, that just downloads the files, it can be played! E.g.: Hacked 3DS starts MK7 hack with custom Track and starts downloadplay, unhacked 3DS starts Downloadplay-App. They can now play custom tracks :D
Ok sorry, when i'm telling bullshit, i'm not so good at explaining something in englisch xD

LongTimeLurker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I meant, when i start a hacked 3ds game and start a Downloadplay with an unhacked 3DS, that just downloads the files, it can be played! E.g.: Hacked 3DS starts MK7 hack with custom Track and starts downloadplay, unhacked 3DS starts Downloadplay-App. They can now play custom tracks :D
Ok sorry, when i'm telling bullshit, i'm not so good at explaining something in englisch xD

Ah "calling bullshit" is an expression, perhaps one I chose too harshly, sorry :).

The reason you can play your modded tracks and such is because the hacked 3DS acts as the host in those situations and MK7 trusts the data it receives. Download play works because Mario Kart 7 is sending over signed game data, and the 3DS then executes that data because the game data itself is legitimate.

I've seen no evidence of download play being able to be used for anything beyond that. I haven't looked at it myself but I try to follow all the reputable hackers around here, and I feel certain they would have noticed something like that. After more reading I did find a post claiming a similar hack was done on the DS because of lousy signature checking, but I don't believe the 3DS has that issue (as we've been patching them out, not breaking them).

Sorry if your hopes were up! Perhaps hack your friend's 3DS?

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
The reason you can play your modded tracks and such is because the hacked 3DS acts as the host in those situations and MK7 trusts the data it receives. Download play works because Mario Kart 7 is sending over signed game data, and the 3DS then executes that data because the game data itself is legitimate.
Not exactly true, as long as the CXI that's sent over is signed, any data sent through the romfs can be unsigned. It still doesn't mean that the emulator can be played with an unhacked 3ds through download play, but :P

Reactions: LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not exactly true, as long as the CXI that's sent over is signed, any data sent through the romfs can be unsigned. It still doesn't mean that the emulator can be played with an unhacked 3ds through download play, but :P

Ah yes thank you that's basically what I meant to convey. So Download Play is basically just sending a CFA container CIA file with various data unsigned data (like tracks) including signed CXI data? That seems pretty simple, but yeah without patching the signature check, an unhacked 3DS still isn't going to run an unsigned CXI.

Reactions: astronautlevel

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Fighting Edition is fixed. Now my itch is scratched. And another game to add in the compatibility list that turns from red to green (or orange). :grog: This will be released in a few days that also includes some other fixes of some of my own silly bugs.

Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 1.40.35 AM.png

PS: Ignore the FPS though. It's a screenshot running in Citra and the FPS is not relevant to the old 3DS. :)

PPS: If any one badly wants to play this game, the fix has been committed to Github.

Last edited by bubble2k16,

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
I wondered what happened to you, I still remember all your O3DS-related rants! Luckily things are better than ever for the O3DS.

Haha i decided to lay down for a bit. After i downgraded my o3DS and installed EmuNAND it felt almost pointless aside from instelling cias of the games i was forced to sell, emulation wasn't getting any further and there were no interesting projects whatsoever. I decided to get back after getting my resolve to install a9lh and found this so, basically, this emulator got me back.

Does anyone noticed how well it runs Doom and Star Fox, actually does better than catsfc for dstwo.

Oooooooooook, getting the rom ready to transfer.

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noticed how well it runs pretty much everything? B-)

Yoshi's Island still lags for me ;-;

@bubble2k16 SD card reader came today, so I have an interesting find for you: Bahamut Lagoon (JP, DeJap English Translation). This is one of my more detailed finds.

o3ds running 0.4:

Video displaying battle dialog box junk: https://gfycat.com/YellowThornyBlackpanther

Text box displays solid blue upon opening/closing animation
cYUU1W5.png

CpcNzVO.png

Battle dialog boxes (not displayed: bottom has a junk-like border a few pixels wide on each side. Pausing this emulator/taking screencaps doesn't display this "junk" as shown in the video)
K7HaIlI.png

Screenshots from SNES9X 1.53 (Windows)

Proper boxes:
ey8iIIi.png

2RD2uwt.png

Misc note: game has minor layering issue with character/dragon sprites, albeit inconsistently.

Last edited by ArtemisM,
Reactions: bubble2k16

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
@mqk9999 - Yup, I actually I agree with you a lot that Yoshi's Island and Super Mario Kart has too much frame skips to be truly enjoyable. As for the color dialogs, I strongly believe Squaresoft did in-frame palette changes to achieve the gradient shading effect on the dialog boxes. Unfortunately, we won't be able to fix that for now, unless I can find a way to render graphics using Discostew's method. But the junk boxes sounds like a good problem to solve - I'll probably have a look at it. Thanks for point it out!

EDIT: Oops, I just had a look at the video that shows the junk like dialog box. Yup yup, this is very much a side-effect of in-frame palette changes! :) Front Mission Gun Hazard also has this annoying flashing in the sky... Let's see maybe I can put some hack to at least stop if from doing that flashing.

Last edited by bubble2k16,

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@bubble2k16 Ah I see. Makes sense. I hadn't gotten around to testing the Front Mission titles yet (as they're time intensive and I don't have existing save states). I can only imagine Seiken Densetsu 3 has this same visual quirk.

Speaking of Squaresoft stuff, I just got my hands on a 100% Chrono Trigger SRAM file, so I'll be testing out every Tech, Dual Tech, and Triple Tech in the short term (since the animations employ numerous tricks and whatnot). I figured it'd be a good little side project.

I meant to touch upon this earlier, but regarding Super Scope games, I'm actually fairly familiar with them (heck, used to have one when I was a wee tot.) If you were to employ a Super Scope feature, I highly recommend implementing some sort of button configuration, as the device has multiple buttons. Having the stylus emulate the crosshair is easy enough, but you have the Fire, Cursor, and Pause buttons that need mapped. For example, hold the stylus with your right hand and the 3DS with your left. Use L as Fire, the circle pad (any input) as Cursor (since it's a button that is used just as often as Fire in games like Battle Clash), and Start as Pause. It's just one of many possible options. You'd want something at least somewhat intuitive as the games are fast paced. Regarding your earlier comment about possibly moving the game screen to the bottom, that might not be a bad idea to implement globally at some point. I don't see it as a requirement for Super Scope titles, as using a blank touch screen would serve just as well to move a virtual crosshair (see ZSNES and the ilk). Just my two cents :)

While we're on the topic of accessory emulation, what about Mario Paint with the mouse? Could use practically the same mapping method as the Super Scope :D Besides, a lot more games take advantage of the mouse than the Super Scope.

Welp, that's enough of my rambling. Off to test Der Langrisser >.>

Last edited by ArtemisM,

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I came across an emulator-related problem with Star Ocean. The game is making an excessive amount of temporary SRAM writes to the SD card (sometimes several per minute, including in-battle), rendering an otherwise decently playable experience almost unplayable due to frequent 0.5-1 second freezes from SRAM writes. Would it be possible to fix this? If not, would adding a per-game SRAM toggle on/off option break emulation of titles such as these?

Also, a question regarding the Seiken Densetsu 3 translation's font issues. Would this be the fault of the emulator or the techniques used in translating the ROM (is this issue even present in the original, untranslated version?)... Just wondering because the game is otherwise playable. I'm not very proficient in romhacking methodology, only testing.

nPs74pb.png

Last edited by ArtemisM,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on