SNES9x for Old 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by bubble2k16, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Nasuma

Nasuma Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2015
    United States
    I have not tried any other exploits for homebrew other than ninjhax. Yea I had to restart the file for ninjhax so I could the new payload. The homebrew i have it 2.0, according to what the screen shows me.

2. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    One other thing I've noticed (small issue), after a seemingly random amount of time, when you make a few save states, the sound cuts out. The only way I've found to fix it was to make an in-game save and reset Snes 9X. Have you encountered that?

3. Canzah

Canzah GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2012
    Poland
    Is there any chance you could look into some form of speedhacks for Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei? You can get the translation for the game here: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2263/
    The problem is that the game requires In-Frame palette changes to be enabled at all times to render properly during gameplay/dungeon explorations but that causes framerate to tank to mid 40s.
    It's not a very complex looking game at all, it's just flat 2D backgrounds changing like a slideshow pretending that the game is 3D (when it obviously is not) so maybe you'd be able to figure something out?
    I know frameskip 1 is an option, but it becomes quite uncomfortable to play at 30 FPS with how the movement in dungeons works.

Furthermore, there is a bug, sometimes when moving/"rotating" the camera, a glitch like the one you see here appears, it's not a problem with the fantranslation since said glitch doesn't occur when emulating on PC. Look at the red square thingy more or less in the top center of the screen, that's the glitch in question.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by Canzah, Oct 31, 2017
  4. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I wasn't able to get the graphic glitch to occur and Frames stayed at 59.9, but I was also using a N3DS.

5. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    I have encountered zero sound from time to time when loading a new game, or when switching back from the pause menu to the game. Normally I'll just tap the bottom screen to open the menu and close it to go back to the again. Haven't really figured out why.

This problem happens because of, as you pointed out: in-frame palette changes. Unfortunately, because we are using the 3DS GPU hardware to render textures, it's not able to handle mid-frame palette changes very well.

This game produces the gradient effect by changing the palette colours every scan line. When you turn on the option to allow in-frame palette changes, the hardware render reacts to changes in the palette colours at the end of every scan line by re-colouring the textures to the newly updated palettes, and then renders the textures for every line. This causes the frame rate to tank.

What's worse: because of the way the hardware renderer works, you don't get a nice smooth gradient effect like in an actual SNES. And it is probably causing the "glitch" you are referring to.

The only way to fix this is to have a software renderer... (that will likely run with a decent frame rate only on a new 2DS/3DS) Not my priority now... but if I have time I may look into it; just not so soon. :)

H1B1Esquire likes this.
  6. Canzah

Canzah GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2012
    Poland
    Fair enough, thanks for explaining. Guess I'll just play it on PC then, I hoped for some portable action with it but it's not too big of an issue, as for N3DS, yeah I've only got O3DS.
    I don't really see a point in getting N3DS just for emulation when there are better devices for that and all the games I enjoy on 3DS aren't even N3DS enhanced so no point in getting one for me.

Last edited by Canzah, Oct 31, 2017
  7. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    Could this be Memory restriction? Something similar happens with the GBA Emulator mgba and the developer Endrift told me this issues is memory related.

Last edited by Dodain47, Nov 1, 2017
  8. Instandhaltung

Instandhaltung Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2016
    Germany
    Hey bubble2k16, since you are still working on these emulators: I would love to have an option for fast forward (also on NES and PCE Emu). Have you thought about it?

9. mqk9999

mqk9999 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    United States
    Pretty sure that requires more CPU overhead than the o3DS provides.

10. Instandhaltung

Instandhaltung Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2016
    Germany
    I thought that it heavily depends on the game and its complexity... But you are right, I forgot that this emulator is mainly for the o3ds ;-)

11. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    @Dodain47 - Yes it could be memory related, or some race condition since we using a separate thread to start/stop the 3DS sound. Haven't really gone deep to look into since it occurs maybe 1 out of 10 times. :P

Actually AdmiralCurtiss does have an implementation for this... will probably merge his codes into master. And yes you are right to say that how fast the fast forward can run will depend a lot on how much time it takes to render each frame... Also, now that the sound output emulation is executed on a different thread, I can't imagine how this will affect the sound yet. It'll probably work fine for most games... but I wouldn't know until I test. :)

12. Instandhaltung

Instandhaltung Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2016
    Germany
    Yay! Since there is an option for button input changes, it would be possible to map buttons (like RZ and LZ if you want to support the N3DS a little more) to those things :) Thanks bubble2k16, you really care about the stuff ppl write here!
    Is FF possible on the NES and PCE emulators as well?

13. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    Yes, I think AdmiralCurtiss did something like that for the Snes9x_3ds.

The fast-forward feature of course can be applied to VirtuaNES and TemperPCE. But give me some time. Will do a proper/tested release of Snes9x_3ds first. :) Seeing there's no major reports of v1.20b1, I'll do a merge of the fast-forward feature and test it myself and do a quick release sometime before the end of next week.

julialy, Gcentrex, BL4Z3D247 and 4 others like this.
  14. MKKhanzo

MKKhanzo GBAtemp Regular

Oct 8, 2013
    United States
    @bubble2k16 I dont know if this have been asked before, but can local ad hoc be implemented? There are many games I want to play with my brother! :)

15. South Cape

South Cape Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2010
    Japan
    I am so unbelievably excited for this feature. It's the one and only feature that I've been checking in on this topic over and over again for over the past year. If this gets implemented, you'll have made at least one person insanely happy and fulfilled a hope that I honestly expected wasn't possible.

Michierusama likes this.
  16. kathy

kathy Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2012
    United States
    is there a chance of a rewind feature as well? at least for nes

Michierusama likes this.
  17. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    :) Don't get your hopes too high for old 3DS. Based on initial tests, the fast forward can go no faster than 1.3x-1.5x the speed (on average). Same games freeze or lose its music probably due to the audio sync problems.

No plans for now. Rewind takes up more resources and may hurt performance.

Yup it's been asked, but I never had any plans for networked play.

South Cape and MKKhanzo like this.
  18. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    v1.20 Released

Here are the release notes:
    - Fixed slider problem in New 3DS (where one of the eyes always sees a black screen)
    - Added button mappings and rapid fire settings like VirtuaNES / TemperPCE 3DS (thanks to AdmiralCurtiss)
    - Added button configuration to open emulator menu and fast-forward (thanks to AdmiralCurtiss). Use with care, though. In some games, fast-forwarding can freeze/corrupt your game.
    - Added a frame rate option to v-sync with the 60Hz 3DS refresh rate (thanks AdmiralCurtiss)
    - Added an option to auto-save state when exiting and loading when starting a new game. (thanks AdmiralCurtiss)
    - Added an option to force saving of SRAM, required by Yoshi's Island. (thanks AdmiralCurtiss)
    - Show 3DS battery level in the bottom right of the menu (thanks ramzinouri)
    - Increased scrolling speed in menu when holding down the D-pad.
    - Added memory mapper support for Tengai Makyou Zero English Patch (version 1.0 released 22 Oct 2017)
    - Supports most original BS Zelda (1-4, Map 2 1-4, Ancient Stone Tablets 1-4), except for the Remix version which still boots into black screen (thanks ramzinouri)

One thing I forgot to add is that the ZL/ZR button mappings only seem to work if you launch the emulator from HBL, and not through the home menu (installed via CIA). Don't know why...

1.73 MB snes9x_3ds-v1.20.zip

Or download from:
    https://github.com/bubble2k16/snes9x_3ds/releases/tag/v1.20

Last edited by bubble2k16, Nov 11, 2017 - Reason: -
  19. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    Another release!!! :yay3ds:

20. ajfoucault

ajfoucault Advanced Member

Newcomer