Homebrew SNES9x for Old 3DS

Wargla

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@bubble2k16
You brought hi-res mode solution in v0.51 and since then games like Secret of Mana are fully playable. That's great :-)
Nevertheless the hi-res screens are a bit blurred... Is it possible to improve hi-res on 3ds screen or that will not be possible ?

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@bubble2k16
You brought hi-res mode solution in v0.51 and since then games like Secret of Mana are fully playable. That's great :-)
Nevertheless the hi-res screens are a bit blurred... Is it possible to improve hi-res on 3ds screen or that will not be possible ?

It's a pseudo hi-res mode. Essentially a "quick fix". I'm not sure if he intends on fully implementing it, what with the limited resources of the o3ds.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Just leaving here that this emulator is very nice! Compatibility is excellent, speed is very good (60 FPS on anything I ran, minor slowdowns on heavy things) even the sound quality is decent. Only lacks a bit of interpolation, but it's much better than retroarch emulators.

Good job! :grog:

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

03bgood

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a few SNES games on my o3DS since it is on 9.2 but the games sometimes have minor sound or graphical glitches and you can't use save states/restore points or suspend your data, so they're like the Ambassador GBA games and Pokemon R/B/Y. That's why Nintendo is only releasing them on the n3DS only. They obviously run at full speed on the o3DS (well some of the games, do), but that doesn't mean that it would be accurate emulation. There's still glitches with sound and graphics that happen in BlargSNES and even some games that use special enhancement chips like like Mega Man X, X2, and X3 don't even work and forget about the SA1 games. Maybe the n3DS can run them fine without any problems, but the o3DS can't. if they do work, they'll probably only run at about 15-20 FPS with some graphical and sound glitches, obviously. When I play Super Mario All-Stars, whenever I go down a pipe, it doesn't do the blurry dissolve fade in/out effect. Instead the screen just switches like normal with a blackout effect, wiping the screen.

Last edited by 03bgood,

kane159

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
They use the emulator for the VC injections and look just like the emulator, except they're injected into VC games by using the emulator, rather than running from the official VC SNES emulator itself, since only the n3DS can do that.
I have a few SNES games on my o3DS since it is on 9.2 but the games sometimes have minor sound or graphical glitches and you can't use save states/restore points or suspend your data, so they're like the Ambassador GBA games and Pokemon R/B/Y. That's why Nintendo is only releasing them on the n3DS only. They obviously run at full speed on the o3DS (well some of the games, do), but that doesn't mean that it would be accurate emulation. There's still glitches with sound and graphics that happen in BlargSNES and even some games that use special enhancement chips like like Mega Man X, X2, and X3 don't even work and forget about the SA1 games. Maybe the n3DS can run them fine without any problems, but the o3DS can't. if they do work, they'll probably only run at about 15-20 FPS with some graphical and sound glitches, obviously. When I play Super Mario All-Stars, whenever I go down a pipe, it doesn't do the blurry dissolve fade in/out effect. Instead the screen just switches like normal with a blackout effect, wiping the screen.

ummm your post confuses me too.... did u ever tried this emu?

03bgood

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ummm your post confuses me too.... did u ever tried this emu?
Yes, and it runs just like the one on PSP, except with better compatibility.

For one, the sound effects (Mario grabbing a mushroom and growing) are glitchy and don't sound accurate. That's how SNES emulation use to be like on PC and consoles. The pitch is lower and slower than on an actual SNES or the Virtual Console. Well SNES9X on PC can now play the sounds correctly, same goes with the Wii port of SNES9X.

Last edited by 03bgood,

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlargSnes is a great emulator, I have a O3DS as my main console and it can play most games without special chips, and a few mode-7 games. They won't run 100% (like DKC) but they will run at playable speeds (90-100%).

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, and it runs just like the one on PSP, except with better compatibility.

For one, the sound effects (Mario grabbing a mushroom and growing) are glitchy and don't sound accurate. That's how SNES emulation use to be like on PC and consoles.
That's the shitty spc700 emulation from snes9x 143, sadly.
I wonder if there would be a way to port some of the blargsnes sound code to it, blarg has a proper sound interpolation compared to any snes9x 1.43 ports.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
@03bgood - Yes I think I was confused too. :) By the way you were saying PSP's SNES emulator had better compatibility or this has better compatibility?

@SG6000 - Noticed you removed your message. So BSZelda works here? I was under the impression Satellaview games are not very well supported in Snes9x 1.43. So if it doesn't work, it should be no surprise. :)

@elBenyo - Yes, BlargSNES is better sounding. But for non-audiophiles like myself, I am satisfied with how Snes9x sounds now. In the far off future, I may spend some time to look into doing gaussian interpolation to make it sound even better, but that's a task for another day. By the way, there's some code in Snes9x 1.43's SPC emulation that slows down the pitch by about 2% of the original... The Snes9x authors claims if it doesn't do that some sound cards in Linux will crash. Well, I think I didn't remove that piece of code, so that lower pitch remains in this port. So those with sharp hearing like yourself will probably be able to tell the difference.

@VinsCool - Yes definitely there's a way to implement just the interpolation... For that we will probably just have a look at Snes9x 1.51's code. But I have too little time on my hands now for any meaningful Snes9x work. :( If @DiscostewSM or any one who would like to try, they are always welcome to do it.

D

Deleted User

Just a question, for the sound, do you think it would be slower to grab back the fancier interpolation from later version of snes9x? I'm asking since I may have a shot at it, but I certainly can't optimize it to death properly, that fall a bit off my field.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@CrashMidnick - you can try to set the in frame palette option to disabled style 1 or disabled style 2 to see if it helps with the frame rate problem. Do keep me posted

Sorry Bubble for my late answer on this :

- 0.63b was slower than 0.62 on DK1C. Final version of 0.63 has solve the problem, did you change anything in your code that can explain the difference between 0.63b and 0.63 ?

I have noticed that Lion King music during a level get corrupted after a laps of time with 0.63 (when moving from a level to another, it solves the problem but come back... using save states does not help). I do not know if it was the case in 0.62. I will check and report back.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
@dekece - Actually, the current implementation takes up about 40% of the sys core's CPU time. I don't think gaussian interpolation will eat up that much CPU cycles, so it's definitely worth a try!

@CrashMidnick - It definitely wasn't a lot of changes to code, other than some DMA fixes (which I think shouldn't affect the speed of DKC), tile corruption fixes, menu key locking fix, and the auto-SRAM stuff. And thanks for the feedback on the sound problem in Lion King. Did it happen in earlier versions?

Reactions: VinsCool

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Bubble : I tried v0.6 : no problem at all on Lion King (I finished the game). Then I tried again v0.63 = no problem too, maybe a little audio sync problem but that's all. I cannot reproduce the problem that I had yesterday... I spent about 2 hours trying everything (Saving/loding many states, different sram settings, letting the game alone during half an hour...) and nothing. The problem of yesterday was like loosing 2 audio channels or so... Sorry I cannot help more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)