Smoking and your significant other.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Maybe she wouldn't have to do that if there were no smoking bans created by hypochondriacs exclusively to inconvenience smokers in public places. Because y'know, the odd cigarette someone's smoking across the room is more harmful to you than smog you breathe in 24/7 created by billions of cars, a bunch of factories and some power plants for good measure.
But the choice is not exactly "either-or", it's between "smog + cigarette smoke" and "only smog". It's like saying that me sitting on your head is nothing compared to the metric ton of pressure already pressing down on you. You still wouldn't want the two stacking up on top of each other.

Farting is another thing that's not linked to lung cancer, but you would still complain if I kept doing it across the room.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I choose to not date someone who smokes because my lungs are horrible due to a mild case of asthma that don't want to getting worse. I spent too much of my childhood dealing with my asthma and it sucked. As I grew up and got treatment and avoided any smokers, I got better. I basically haven't needed major treatment nor an inhaler for quite along time and would like to keep it that. Dating a smoker is just asking for trouble.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: daxtsu

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But the choice is not exactly "either-or", it's between "smog + cigarette smoke" and "only smog". It's like saying that me sitting on your head is nothing compared to the metric ton of pressure already pressing down on you. You still wouldn't want the two stacking up on top of each other.

Farting is another thing that's not linked to lung cancer, but you would still complain if I kept doing it across the room.
You have to consider two facts - there's shitloads of air in the room and you have legs to move as well as a mouth to speak with if I'm bothering you. The concentration of smoke (or, in your case, fart) in a room with a smoker is nowhere near high enough to cause you any harm, especially if the smoker is seated in a ventillated smoking area and you're in the non-smoking area as things used to work in the past. Unless someone blows smoke directly into your face (or sticks his/her buttcheeks to it, let's not break the analogy), you have next to no chance of any negative health-related consequences. If someone does do that for whatever reason, tell that person to stop or move - it's not hard. But no, the ban sorted that out - the long arm of the law just kicked smokers out of pubs because crybabies wanted to leave the non-smoking area and spoil everyone's fun. Eff you - I always went to pubs to drink and smoke, the majority of pub goers do, that's what the pubs are for, and I hate the fact that all this is done under the guise of health benefits. I'll tell you something ridiculous - I went to a hospital recently and wanted a quick ciggy. No smoking room, but that's okay - I expected it to be prohibited indoors since it's a medical facility - that's understandable. I went outside... Still prohibited. Park next to the hospital? Not allowed. Went to the car park - no less than 200 cars there... Smoking prohibited. I had to leave the whole complex, which was no small feat as it is huge, in order to smoke *outside* where my smoke can't *possibly* bother anyone - that's overkill, that's insane.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah the smoking bans really did seem to hit the UK pubs and clubs quite hard. It is nicer to go to a club and only have to wash beer and sweat out the next day but it has been ruinous for a lot of places.

The hospitals one also amuses me. I was once sitting in a second floor meeting room near a main entrance of a hospital. They tell me humans can not solve the travelling salesman problem (bees can though http://www.qmul.ac.uk/media/news/items/se/38864.html ). The entrance was through a car park and owing to most hospitals charging slightly more, and in a slightly more gougey method, for parking than short term airport parking next to a football ground on game day the blocking conditions were somewhat variable. I reckon then you could sort blocking to match your rail/road link problem and watch it get solved in about 3 hours by the smoking set.

My absolute favourite one for the ban though was this river almost lean to shelter. I was out in the country and as I had just missed the train I thought I would walk to the next station rather than sit to kill the time. Halfway down the river, somewhere I can not imagine too many people have ever been since rivers were replaced with trains, I was walking along there was this little concrete bench shelter. The average UK bus shelter provides more protection from the wind and rain (for the unaware http://www.qlocal.co.uk/forums/2004/v309.jpg ). It managed to squeeze in three very small alcoves though and each of them had a no smoking lest ye be fined sign right at eye level.

Anyway I did not know there were people that used vapourisers just for the taste/for the fun.

Oh and it we are ending with videos, even though I did not want to make an EOF thread.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mthrnite

Wanna weigh in on the vape thing? I remember you kicked your tobacco habit with a vape kit and it profoundly changed your life for the better. Have you kicked vaping to the curb too?

As for the topic. Smoking doesn't automatically disqualify a woman from being attractive, but it does make it significantly harder for me to consider her a long term option. I suppose I wouldn't kick her out of bed, but she wouldn't live with me.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't smoke and nor does my wife. I never saw the point. When peer pressure was getting noticable when I was a kid, I just thought to myself that I can probably think of better ways to spend my time and money than taking a bunch of chemicals I know to be fatally toxic, rolling them up in a tiny bit of paper, putting it in my mouth and setting fire to it, then breathing in the fumes that I know to be harmful. I'm honestly not sure how anyone ever gets started. When you actually think about what it entails, it sounds disturbingly dumb. It's only ever defended by people who already smoke and never thought about it, or these 'social justice warriors' who think everything is fine and it's all about respecting other's decisions. I show respect for decisions that deserve respect. If you chose to drink petrol then piss on a bonfire I'd call you a retard, not pat you on the back for living life your way.

Reactions: vayanui8 and Bimmel

RiveaJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I believe that the smoking bans in the UK has murdered the pub scene since people can no longer go to the pub with their mates, have a smoke and have a pint without having to stand across the road and outside in the rain every 10 minutes.

My partner smokes, I do not (I never got into it because I have my asthma to worry about) but it does not bother me as long as he smokes in a different room to me. I know how it negativity effects your health as my mum is an ex-smoker. Once she stopped smoking she stopped being ill as often and became more active as a substitute for sitting and smoked, although not everyone goes with that route when quitting.

My partner has no intention of quitting and doesn't believe that stopping would make him suffer less from his asthma, so even asking him would be trying to fight a losing battle.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that the smoking bans in the UK has murdered the pub scene since people can no longer go to the pub with their mates, have a smoke and have a pint without having to stand across the road and outside in the rain every 10 minutes.

Smoking inside of a business is illegal here in NJ and some/most other states but the bars/pubs still seem to be doing just fine. Don't really know anyone here who has that much of an issue stepping out for a few minutes to have a smoke. Usually they get a few of the people they're with to come with them, smoke or not, so it's not just a loner thing.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I've been with many women that smoked, and I'm glad my current one doesn't smoke. I got so tired of smelling disgusting after she would smoke in the car, or smoking in the bar with me there.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I try to avoid smoking my significant other, I don't think she'd like being smoked very much :unsure:

:P

Actually on topic, like Bortz, I'd knock a "point" off the scale if a girl smokes every once and a while, and all the points in the world off if it's more than a few cigs a day. It's just a complete turn off for me.

As regards to vaping, even though it's "healthier" and "smell-free", I still have a bit of residual disgust that rolls over from regular cigs, though of course it's not nearly as bad. I also hate people who try to vape everywhere 24/7 "bcuz its not a cig see its ok haha". Shit's annoying, especially when they try it in my car.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Even though I'm usually the type of person who minds my own business, I do get a bit disgusted when people smoke around me... but I've at least tried to take a careful approach when discussing the topic with the girl I care about. While I'm not sure if she intends to quit any time soon, she's been keeping a bit of control of her habit (I mean, something like 1 pack every 4 months... I have no clue how she does it), and at least tries to avoid smoking around me or having the smell affect me. To be frank, I'm still kinda annoyed by her habit, but at least it's not worse.

Honestly though, if any girl I was interested in had a bad smoking habit and refused to do anything about it, I'd ditch them in a heartbeat. There's no point in spending time with someone who doesn't really care about themselves nor their surroundings.

Last edited by YayMii,

RiveaJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I feel like people who won't entertain someone because they smoke are cutting off their own nose to spite their face, I'm pretty sure if Katy Perry/Brad Pitt wanted to get to know you personally you'd not care about their smoking addiction.
Obviously I don't understand how others feel about it though :P\
Live and let live

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In many cases, smoking before making love is a huge seducer to the man/woman; or the way how someone smokes turns someone on. I personally find that disgusting, because if they're going to make out with the person soon, have fun tasting and sensing the smoke :mellow:

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
In many cases, smoking before making love is a huge seducer to the man/woman; or the way how someone smokes turns someone on. I personally find that disgusting, because if they're going to make out with the person soon, have fun tasting and sensing the smoke :mellow:
To others, smoking after doing the thing is delicious :mellow: :creep:

Reactions: ComeTurismO

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to smoke, but quit mostly because I became unemployed and couldn't afford it anymore. I have asthma, too, but really don't remember it doing much to it at the time.

However, I was also doing a lot of other things that were...less legal than cigarettes...back then, too. I'm depressingly sober for the most part now.

I almost commented about things other than tobacco that are smoked (Cloves, herbal blend, LEGAL things)....but most people just lump those all into the same pile.

As for smoking less legal things, that may be a different discussion.

_Mary_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
im a smoker. maybe once or twice a day. but when i drink alcohol i smoke alot like 20-above. i have friends who doesnt like smoking and everytime i smoke i move away so they cant inhale it. its simple as that. i just smoke when i feel bored or whatsoever. and hurray for the fetish chart lol ..

Reactions: VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)