Gaming SMG: best game evar.

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I didn't buy the game, no. However, that for me was not a factor, as I was on the cusp of buying it, but then worried that I might not like it, hence I grabbed it first before I bought it.

I'm glad I didn't buy it though, as the game so far had me bored. It just didn't have the impact that mario 64 did, and I think it would be difficult for any platform game to have that kind of impact now.

But nintendo hyped this game up, other players hyped this game up, the press did the same, and then it just didn't play well for me. It's poor game design if I have to get to a certain point in the game before I can enjoy it.

There's very little about mario galaxy that culdn't be done on another system, it doesn't really do anything impressive with the control scheme. I know if it was too gimmicky they'd be berated, but they introduced the wiimote as changing the way we play games, and it didn't change much for mario galaxy.

I'll give the game some more play time, but as of now, I'm underwhelmed by the whole experience of the game. SMG for me is a let down, and another nail in the coffin that is my Wii

GameDragon

Mugiwara RAWR!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow, someone actually scolded Super Mario Galaxy!
ohmy.gif

I for one think its great. I didn't think the early galaxies were boring, but obviously the later are much better and more difficult. Overall its still pretty easy though.

I really can't see what you don't like about it sekhu, it's pretty much does what Super Mario 64 does and makes it better.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
[sarcasm] Well, for some reason, if a game receives positive reviews but fails to give you spontaneous prolonged multiple orgasms while playing, the cognitive dissonance between those two facts can only manifest itself through deeming the game an "overhyped piece of crap". [/sarcasm]

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
Mario Galaxy is okay.
* it's music is awesome.
* the controls are flawed.
* the shooting stars with the wiimote is lame.
* 2-player mode ISN'T solid as Miyamoto himself said.
* graphics are pretty sweet, atleast I like the nice colours.
* the story wasn't much to be impressed over
tongue.gif
haha

the controls are flawed in certain places when u walk close to edges, the controls don't respond in an obvious way. it makes back forward and forward back suddenly as you come to the edge.

I mean seriously, they could've used the wiimote for something more useful. waving around a star which makes noise and shoot enemies? you shoot enemies with fire balls! everyone knows mario should incinerate them goombas into oblivion. not some lame stars things which mario's spirit controls. or whatever.

Oh and the fact 2 player let's another person shoot stars, I mean come on.. What tha hell!? Did Miyamoto never play Secret of Mana? There you have perfect multiplayer... As in Mario and Luigi both playable at the same time, however you'd have to communicate so you walk close to eachother so the camera doesn't have to zoom out to infinity.

Now I haven't played Mario Galaxy more than 7 stars, so these judgements are from what I've played so far.
I'd give the game good points for having awesome graphics and awesome music. But it's flawed in the controls and it's gameplay mechanics.

Call of Duty 4 is the best singleplayer game I've played in a long time. It had "IT". Feels exactly like a great action movie except body count is beyond silly.
smile.gif

So I hope you can understand, there's plenty of more games which are better this year. I for one think CoD4 is better.

Bla bla bla, whine whine whine: "the game's are nowhere similar, you can't compare them". Yes I CAN compare them, CoD4 is better because it is much more immersive!

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Mario Galaxy is okay.
* it's music is awesome.
* the controls are flawed.
* the shooting stars with the wiimote is lame.
* 2-player mode ISN'T solid as Miyamoto himself said.
* graphics are pretty sweet, atleast I like the nice colours.
* the story wasn't much to be impressed over
tongue.gif
haha

I agree with you on most points but I still think it's one of the best games I've ever played.
I haven't tried 2-player so I can't say anything about that, but I mostly agree with you on the others.
The music in Gusty Garden Galaxy is especially good.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
So I hope you can understand, there's plenty of more games which are better this year. I for one think CoD4 is better.
Everyone's gaming experience is subjective, and the best game is always the one you enjoyed the most. This is only the average of reviews published so far. "Objective" reviews and the subjective gaming experience don't have to be related, because there's no objective measure for "fun" (or the lack of it).

square

The Professor
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I bought it and played through the first three galaxies, stopped for the day and haven't picked it up again, it just doesn't have the draw *to me* that SM64 had, which I have played through at least 4 times, DS 1, 64 3. I find the levels are too long for a casual gaming experience, I will get half way through a level and then look at the time and off goes the wii.
Working full time and getting your Ph.D. full time = little VG time
frown.gif

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
personally I found Zak and Wiki a better game, it was certainly more refreshing than SMG, and I wanted to put time into the game to enjoy it. SMG just doesn't have that for me. But hey everyone's entitled to their opinion, and most of you like it, I find it boring - that's still ok too.

samnoon93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zack and Wiki was fun, but you could die a lot without it being your fault and the controls were terrible in some places (like that music guy in the ice level).

yus786

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i played it the first time when i got it and got through a few galaxies

but havent played it since as i dont have the time and it hasnt really attracted me tbh, gonna give it another go before finally voicing my opinions though

regards

yus786

wovva

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I honestly cannot understand anyone that thinks this game is anything less than brilliant. I bought it this weekend and I've been like a kid playing Mario Land on my Gameboy again. It's amazing.

In my opinion it's superior to Mario 64.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...We've been over this a thousand times. Actually paying for a game increases the playing experience and the opinion you'll have afterwards by a factor of [a lot].

Agreed. When I got my flashcard for my DS, it took little more than a week for me to become completely jaded and underwhelmed by just about every game that came down the pike (I mostly got my flashcard so that I could try games I was curious about without going broke). When I mentioned to my wife the notion of a mod for our Wii, she was turned off by the idea. She felt that too much of a good thing spoils the experience. I can now honestly say that she's absolutely right. I'm older (36), so it's not as difficult perhaps for me to still appreciate the DS games I play because I still pay out enough for systems and games...and bills and bills and bills. But the Wii is for our whole family, and it's something we will try to savor together. Galaxy will be a gem I intend on cherishing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Creamy milk