Slot-2: Best Option?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Sh!fT_23, Sep 14, 2008.

Sep 14, 2008

Slot-2: Best Option? by Sh!fT_23 at 6:06 AM (2,631 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. Sh!fT_23
    OP

Member Sh!fT_23 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Hi, What is the best option as a Slot-2 Card atm for being able to play GBA games (and something other than the EZ-Flash)?

I would also like to know about if any carts support playing older nintendo roms like SNES or GB.

Is there anything out there with similar features to the G6 Lite (but not for NDS games) and where is it available?

Thanks.

2. Swip

Member Swip GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Which features?

3. LuOmeoga

Member LuOmeoga GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Can the M3 perfect play GB and SNES games?

4. Swip

Australia
    Source

5. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    just be prepared to fork over a lot of $$$ for it
    they are hard to find and can cost about $70-90 depending on where you buy it from

6. Sh!fT_23
    OP

Australia
    Some of the features that I liked were:
    - User can read e-book, e-account, movie, enjoy music, look up dictionary and play various games directly (FC, NES, SNES, GB, GBC, PCE, Sega-MS, GG and more) and partial Arcade Game.
    - Cheat Support (The software comes with thousands of predefined CHT files which you can use to cheat in your GBA game like an Action Replay)
    - Real Time Save support
    - It has RTC (Real-Time Clock) IC inside, completely supporting RTC game without adding patches. (For games like Pokemon where time based events occur)
    - Soft Reset

Does the M3 Perfect come with similar features or is there another option out there? Does anyone have either a G6 Lite or an M3 Perfect and able to give an oppinion? Thanks for all the help.

7. Swip

Australia
    The M3 Perfect has this.

8. Sh!fT_23
    OP

Australia
    I don't really want the EZ-Flash as I already have the Ewin rumble pak and i have read that the EZ-Flash's rumble is very loud and annoying. I know that Ewin have a 2-in-1 Expansion Pak (RAM and GBA) but I can't find any site that has it in stock. Does any one know if this is any good and has comparable features to the M3 Lite Perfect and where to get it?

Also if anyone knows any other alternatives could they let me know (for a reasonable price preferably, i don't want to pay too much!)

9. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    You don't have to use the rumble on the EZFlash 3-in-1 so the fact that it has that extra feature shouldn't deter you from buying it.

The eWin 2-in-1 is similar to the EZFlash 3-in-1 but without the rumble or NOR memory. There are other small differences as well, and each has some advantages over the other, but each will do what they are designed to do: play GBA games and act as RAM for the browser.

A few stores still sell the eWin 2-in-1 but it's hard to find.

Look here for more information on the eWin: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=102259
    And here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=102017

The other games you mentioned (NES, SNES, etc) can be played with your slot1 and an emulator. As someone else already mentioned, YSMenu will launch other ROM types directly into an emulator from the menu, but you do have to have the emulator installed on your microSD card (the emulators don't come with YSMenu).

-Bri

10. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Hahahah. Oh my, sorry, I had to get that out of my system.

I have a slot-2 M3 Perfect SD even now. And yes, it still plays DS games moderately well (Lock's Quest was the newest one I've tired thus far), though yes, it's not 100% perfect (FFTA2 T_T). It uses a standard SD card, which I have plenty of, and I can do GBA games with only slight difficulty (because I flashed my system, and one of the firmwares broke the reset-in-GBA mode function). I bought it at least two or three years ago now, back when slot-2 was the only option. I haven't "upgraded" and I personally haven't seen the need to. I make do with what I have very well. =P

11. mcjones92

Member mcjones92 Forest Fam

United States
    If you are getting a slot-1, get a EZ V 3in1.

12. Sh!fT_23
    OP

Australia
    Thanks for all the help guys, just 1 last thing....

So to play older roms like SNES I will only need a Slot-1 card and use built-in emulators from YSMenu or other Homebrew stuff so there is no real need for Slot-2 card to do that?

If I wanted to use the browser on the DS would I need the Slot-2 card with RAM or is there any other way to use?

Sorry to be a pain and thanks for all your help guys.

BTW, Bri you have posts everywhere lol, you must be quite the wealth of knowledge!

13. Sh!fT_23
    OP

Australia
    I just found a card here that might be worth it if I can get it a little cheaper. It's the M3 DS Real GBA Expansion Pack and seems to have very similar features to the M3 Lite Perfect but just for GBA.

Heres a link to where you can get it:

http://www.bamboogaming.cn/shop.php/flash-...ing-/p_125.html

14. Bri

United States
    You can play older games like SNES with only a slot 1 and an emulator, yes. YSMenu has no built-in emulators. If you install an emulator on your microSD card, YSMenu will launch the game directly into the emulator (otherwise with the official firmware you would have to launch the emulator and then select the game from the list).

I would recommend the EZFlash 3-in-1 or eWin 2-in-1 (if you can find it) for use with your DSTT. Those are the cheapest, simplest, and most compatible solutions.

BTW, thanks for the complement! My job provides short moments of down time throughout the day, which allows me to post a few quick responses. But there are plenty of people on this forum who are as knowledgeable as I am about flash carts, if not moreso.

-Bri

15. Sh!fT_23
    OP

Australia
    So the M3 GBA Expansion is not worth going for then? I would like to have the features like RTC and I don't know of any other Slot-2 cart (still available and not ridiculously priced) that can do this.

Just to clarify though, if I want to use my DS to emulate GBA games or use the browser, I must have a Slot-2 Expansion card that can do this. But all other games like GB and SNES can be emulated from the Slot-1 Flash Cart. Is that right?

BTW Bri, what card do you use for your DS?

16. Bri

United States
    I use an Acekard 2.

-Bri

17. Sh!fT_23
    OP

Australia
    OK, thanks alot.

So I think I'll just go for the Ewin 2-in-1 or the EZ Flash if I can't get it. I didn't know you could patch for RTC but that sounds like it solves my problem basically.

18. Bri

United States
    If you can live without Pokemon, then definitely get the eWin or EZFlash.

Otherwise, you'll want to read up more on the patching option before making a final decision. I've never tried it (I only know what I've read on that other thread), so I don't know how easy it is or if it works with every cart.

-Bri

19. Sh!fT_23
    OP

Australia
    Yeah patching it should not be a problem, I'm sure it'll work fine and be easy enough, I'll read up on it and let you know how it goes.

If it doesn't work probs won't be an issue, I mean you can still play it, just the time based events wont happen (could just use that clock change cheat if it was necessary anyway).

I just have a question regarding clock though, what about the Pokemon games in Slot-1, do they just use the time on the DS clock?

- Sh!fT

20. Bri

United States
    Yes, I assume they do. Slot 1 NDS games shouldn't be a problem at all.

-Bri