Hacking Slot 1 M3/G6 in the works

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Its not just slightly cheaper... but meh. Wasn't M3 origionally supposed to support clean NDS roms without a patcher? (you know, the announcement back when all it could actually play were GST pre-patched ones?)

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All the flashkits play clean roms - they need to be patched to tell the DS to save on the GBA media and not the expected DS media. While that's not technically 'clean', that's what it meant at the time.

Now clean will mean that when the game expects to save to Slot 1, it can.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Qrayzie: the patchers currently have to patch alot more than the save routine to get the DSFS to read from the GBA cart/bus as well. Hopefully DSLink or M3's "slot 1" product wont need that kind of patching as well.

The difference is I guess, will the patcher be fast enough to be built into the loader or done on the PC (and it would probably need save patching anyway, even saving to slot 1, since there are many revisions of save chips with different latencies and such)

wabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another thing i'm wondering, people seems to be hoping that you'll be able to send "download play" games to unflashed DS with this. But from what i gathered, the ds rom dumps have the RSA protection ripped off. Wich logically means that it should't work.. right??

neojei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say a bunch more expensive. Just a hunch. Also something tells me the M3 type will stick out a bit maybe... DS Link couldn't fit the chip to get passme to work, how will M3 do it? M3 Lite appears to me to stick out like just a bit. Supercard used two boards to make it fit. NDS cards will have no space. We'll see I guess. Can't wait for at least one pic.

BaggerS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
argghh i hope this comes out sooon, i was set on gettin the M3 lite, but now i dont no.

is there any news on how well it will perform for DS download play, i presume it shud acheive better results as it uses cleaner clean roms?

neojei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS Download play isn't such a huge thing for me I suppose, playback better be decent. Usually if its a good game I will buy it. Getting a flashcart so I can try games out, maybe play those games that are short that aren't worht buying. Also for homebrew, and mediaplayback. GBA compatibility, would be nice, hopefully it's included since there are a few GBA games I'd like to try out. I'll wait for this instead of the M3 Lite, it would be much easier for me to swap it from my DS Phat to DS Lite.

Xanikseo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Shouldn't it be possible to play GBA games on a Slot 1 cart, just like you can play DS games on a Slot 2 cart? But you'd have to patch the GBA games, and put a passme type thing in the GBA slot or have a flashme type thing that allows you to play GBA games off a Slot 1 cart.

Xeronage

Trophies
XP
Country
Can't do, GBA games require more bandwidth than DS games, thus the GBA Port supports higher bandwidths, and the DS less.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu