Skyrim remaster leaked by UK retailer

Labelled as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - The Definitive Edition, UK retailer Base.com have listed the game with a November 23rd release date on their site, just ahead of next week's Bethesda E3 conference where the title will most likely be officially announced.

Screenshot_20160609-102422.jpg
:arrow:Base.com

Burlsol

Trophies
XP
Country
Skyrim already looked fine, why remaster that when you've got a lot of older titles way worth remastering, like Daggerfall, or Morrowind/Oblivion? Too much work, compared to just polishing already existing assets from a fairly recent game?
My guess...

They did Skyrim because they already had HD textures for it (available to PC users), and it's a chance to milk even more money out of the franchise. I wouldn't expect an engine upgrade, I wouldn't expect any of the flaws fixed... Just essentially the Legendary Edition with the HD textures and in a format that works on the new consoles (since Microsoft has stopped making the360). To be frank, the new gen consoles don't have the power to offer much better. 60fps is out of the question, more memory is a non-issue when you only have 4gb shared between graphics and system, at the very most, you might get support for higher resolutions.

Integrated support for mods from Bethesda.net has also been suggested, but would likely have the same sort of backlash that occurred with paid mods on Steam unless they're done in-house or from enlisting specific mod authors to produce this content.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What part of this says it's a remaster? I looked at the link, and it appears to just be a port of Elder Scrolls V and it's DLC for PS4 console.

CitizenSnips

a seldom-used crab named Lucky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What part of this says it's a remaster? I looked at the link, and it appears to just be a port of Elder Scrolls V and it's DLC for PS4 console.
The listing calls it 'definitive edition' so that would most likely imply some improved graphics, so its more closer to a port with improved graphics than a full remaster

Last edited by CitizenSnips,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
nothing about this says remaster though? couldn't it just be skyrim + dlcs bundled?

edit: didn't notice that it said PS4. so it's just gonna be a slightly better PS3 version. still worse than PC probably. so meh big whoop :/
These days you can run Skyrim on a tablet, I sincerely doubt the PS4 or the XBO would have any difficulty with the game that wouldn't be caused by Bethesda's notoriously shitty coding. The real question is whether there's a need for this remake - everyone and their dog already has Skyrim and you can grab a copy for less than a McDonald's meal. I'm sure it'll sell because Elder Scrolls fans are suckers, but I'll probably pick it up once it's in the bargain bin. I'm far more interested in the sequel, which will come inevitably - this remaster is probably released to get everyone hyped for Elder Scrolls again, or at least remind them that the series exists.

K

KingpinSlim

I am getting sick and tired of them calling console re-releases "Definitive Edition".
It is absolutely impossible for something "Definitive" to be released on a console when a PC-version exists.
I do own consoles and i enjoy them as well, but there is no console in existence that could even hope to have 25% of the performance my Gaming PC does.
By definition the only definitive platform can only ever be a PC.
Them calling this port "definitive" is embarassing.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That makes sense.
I still think it would have been better if they did older titles. Morrowind especially.
I'm pretty sure that the only response that Bethesda has made (to the TESV remake rumours) had to do with "remasters" of older games in the series being completely out of the question. And to be quite honest, I don't blame them.

If they were to rerelease - say - Morrowind, they'd have a very tough time satisfying everyone, let alone preventing a budget on the level of a full-fledged game. If they released the game with the gameplay as-is, it'd scare off plenty of newer fans of the series; however, modernizing the gameplay would not only alienate older fans, but also cause the game to be more expensive to produce. It would be difficult for them to produce a win-win situation without having to practically recreate the game from scratch.

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Why is real all caps? Are you implying the two I mentioned aren't?

Never said that. More, I meant that those guys work damned hard, and it's pretty impressive.

Also, I haven't seen Skywind actually go anywhere yet. Sure, there's the leaked beta (which I have), but that's been going for how many years now? I doubt it'll ever get done.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never said that. More, I meant that those guys work damned hard, and it's pretty impressive.

Also, I haven't seen Skywind actually go anywhere yet. Sure, there's the leaked beta (which I have), but that's been going for how many years now? I doubt it'll ever get done.
They last updated in March.

Reactions: chaoskagami

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
They last updated in March.

March is 1/4 a year ago. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it isn't real. They did accomplish Morrowblivion after all.

I just think they're starting to peter out. The forums are pretty inactive and it doesn't seem like much development is happening (at least to public display.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1