ROM Hack sky3ds diskwriter python clone (for linux & osx)

lukas_2511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wooo cool thanks. I had played around with a wx interface since it looks much more native on linux window managers, but I got everything working correctly in osx, rebooted to linux to try it out and nothing worked. Its like writing html for webkit then trying to figure out why IE8 renders it like hell.

Tk works. If anyone wants to improve, go for it.

That's why i don't write graphical interfaces :P

Reactions: cearp

Cliemacfr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

For everyone on OSX, I made a standalone app from the python files discussed here (big thanks to Lukas_2511 and NoSmokingBandit).
This is not a native osx app but you dont need python or anything else. It has the graphical interface of NoSmokingBandit.
I use some python code, py2app and some applescript to make it standalone.
YOU MUST COPY IT IN YOUR /APPLICATIONS DIRECTORY otherwise, it will not work.
It will ask for your administrative password (as Sky3ds needs root permission to work).
I've done that for me, it's not pretty but it works.

here is the download link:

http://we.tl/ZiTF62LzXH

(i don't know were to put the file (.zip) for a better download)

enjoy.

Clié.

Paco_68

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the compiled App.. Any chance to get a brief guide on how to use it. When I start the App it I first get "template.txt not found, please select a sky3ds template file" so I select latest uploaded file from "http://sky3ds.com/download.html" but get a "Template.txt" could not be update error.. Should I change something within the template.txt file or put it in any specific directory ? Due to that seems that I'm also not able to write any .3ds file

Thanks

Cliemacfr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
usually you have to put the file in : /Users/"your user name"/Library/Application Support/sky3ds

make sure you put in a template.txt file, nothing else, not a rar file for instance. It will change it as a Json file.

kpdgkpdg

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the compiled app is not available anymore can you reupload? Furthermore I tried before to put the file in : /Users/"your user name"/Library/Application Support/sky3ds, app started up fine but when I was trying to load my memory card it say that it couldn't load the disk and something broke. The card show up fine in the drop down menu of disks available. Anything I can do to make it work?

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't used this in a while, but I think if you get your card set up with the official sky3ds program for windows and you use version 2.whatever it won't work with this. Diskwriter 2.0 makes two partitions on the card, one raw for games and whatnot and another fat32 (i think) for something else. In version 1 it was just one big raw disk, which is what this script expects to find.

kpdgkpdg

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
thanks for the reupload! I've tried reformatting my card to exfat and msdos fat using disk utility, both were still giving the couldn't open disk, can't continue error. I've also tried a different card but the same error appears when trying to load the disk :-(

Cliemacfr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you have to format your card with the "Tools/Format Disk" within the app !! its a different kind of format... otherwise Sky3dsWriter can't act on the card !!

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything will work as long as you don't use the official app version 2.0. Any version 1.x is fine.

I used 2.0 to get my card set up and I'm not sure that I noticed any major changes from v 1.x, so now I just have to reboot into windows to add/remove games. I'll eventually reformat back to the old one-partition setup, but I have a feeling I'm going to sink a few hundred hours into Bravely Default before that happens.

paul ross

Trophies
XP
Country
hi i have been looking for something like this for use on Mac,Great work.
I am getting a gui python error when i try to load the template.is there something I am missing?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Plus I think many of the games expect a keyboard