OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So I currently have a sky3ds blue button cart with my 3ds at firmware
11.0.0.21E
Is it correct that this does not work past this version of firmware or with the latest firmware? Will I Be able to play new games on it like Metroid?
I have my wifi switched off on it to ensure it doesn't update but with that I am also unable to access the 3ds store and even if i turn wifi on I believe it will ask me to update firmware before updating?

So basically just wondering if I just have to use the 3ds as is without e store and wifi? Or will the cart still work with the latest update and what cause it not to work? Anti piracy?

Cheers

cpjay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
sky3ds works on any firmware

but you should just install custom firmware using 3ds.guide

This is new to me, baught it over a year ago and haven't really used it after sun and moon but there's a couple new games that I'd like to play.
What does the custom firmware actually do?

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is new to me, baught it over a year ago and haven't really used it after sun and moon but there's a couple new games that I'd like to play.
It lets you run homebrew, ds, and 3ds games from the sd card inside of your 3ds

custom firmware has been around since the time of sky3ds red button

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lots of things most notably it allows homebrew/games to be installed directly to the system
imagine your sky3ds and homebrew built into the system with the games appearing as normal eshop downloads (and being obtainable just as simply)

3DS Guide

cpjay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It lets you run homebrew, ds, and 3ds games from the sd card inside of your 3ds

custom firmware has been around since the time of sky3ds red button
I remember the ninjhax but this is new, must have completely missed all the 3ds hack stuff.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

lots of things most notably it allows homebrew/games to be installed directly to the system
imagine your sky3ds and homebrew built into the system with the games appearing as normal eshop downloads (and being obtainable just as simply)

3DS Guide
Oh nice! So there's not point in having bought the sky3ds card?! haha

And is there certain things you need to avoid? like not purchasing or keeping off the estore or wifi? and are you able to go online on games or will that block you out or just not work?

So not sure where I heard it but apparently the sky3ds blue card is incompatible after the 11.0.0.21 firmware that I've currently got installed. So using the custom firmware, will that enable the use of the sky3ds and block the anti piracy stuff that prevents the cart?

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The SKY3DS blue button should be compatible with all firmware. It will not be compatible with game with the last AP like the one in Pokémon Moon/Sun.
Beside that it should be fine.

cpjay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The SKY3DS blue button should be compatible with all firmware. It will not be compatible with game with the last AP like the one in Pokémon Moon/Sun.
Beside that it should be fine.

Ah that makes sense, so there anti piracy checks for the latest games or just a selected number? But if you installed the custom firmware and then installed the cia sun/moon it should work?

Don't update. You can install CFW for free on your version. If you update you'll need additional stuff. If you bought the Sky3DS recently, see if you can return it for a refund.
Yeah wasn't planning on haha had it on this version for ages, have the wifi turned off too to make sure:lol:

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
AFAIK it's just certain games not all of them.
But yes, with a CFW you can install whatever game you want, CIAs don't have AP (well not the same kind as the card and it's been taking care of by the CFW).

Reactions: cpjay

cpjay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ok. Follow https://3ds.guide and let us know if you have any issues :-)

Legend!

AFAIK it's just certain games not all of them.
But yes, with a CFW you can install whatever game you want, CIAs don't have AP (well not the same kind as the card and it's been taking care of by the CFW).

Easy, and if you want to install a game it has to be cia version correct? .3ds or .3dz is only for gateway/sky flash carts?

Molina

My title? It's gone,... like the last fuck I gave.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
.3ds or .3dz is only for gateway/sky flash carts?
Exactly, but as someone linked just on top of me, you can use a homebrew called Freeshop which allow you to download .cia directly via wifi and install them right away.
Meaning that you don't need to take out your sd card anymore to install new games or need to use a ftp server to transfer .cia .

Edit: I forgot to mention that: if you have already some game's save (.sav) in your Sky3ds, don't sell it right away if you want to keep them. Keep it until you can import them inside your freshly hacked 3ds.

Last edited by Molina,

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can of course still use your SKY3DS but as Molina said if you plan on getting rid of it backup your save with JKSM beforehand so you can inject them later.

cpjay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Where does freeshop gather the files from? Does it come from a server hosted by them or something?

Ok. Follow https://3ds.guide and let us know if you have any issues :-)
Went great, I've now got the custom firmware completely installed with a new theme. Now to download games!

Molina

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Where does freeshop gather the files from? Does it come from a server hosted by them or something?
Directly from the Nintendo eshop if I remember well.
You give him a titlekey and Freeshop fetch the data directly from Ninty.

cpjay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Directly from the Nintendo eshop if I remember well.
You give him a titlekey and Freeshop fetch the data directly from Ninty.
Nicee, so would you recommend doing this or just downloading game cias from a website? Would be for virtual console games and 3ds games in general.
Cheers!

Last edited by cpjay,

Molina

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nicee, so would you recommend doing this or just downloading game cias from a website? Would be for virtual console games and 3ds games in general. (im using CENSORED)
Cheers!
Quick delete the name of the site you gave. You cannot give such informations on gbatemp as we do not condone piracy website. (Edit: even if apparently is not the good name)

Download them from Freeshop, it's easier. If you can't find one on freeshop or want a modded rom then you can search on the internet.

Last edited by Molina,

cpjay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Quick delete the name of the site you gave. You cannot give such informations on gbatemp as we do not condone piracy website. (Edit: even if apparently is not the good name)

Download them from Freeshop, it's easier. If you can't find one on freeshop or want a modded rom then you can search on the internet.
Oo didn't know that,
done.

And awesome, you guys have been heaps helpful!

Reactions: Molina

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock