Hacking Skin Problem

DespizingU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having trouble with a couple skins. And the trouble is that the top screen of one skin, will appear on the top screen on another skin. And vice versa. I know this was talked about on the TC forums, and there's some way to fix it. But since the forums are down I couldn't get to it.

Is a simple renaming all that I'm suppose to do to fix it(perhaps just adding a character to one of the top.bmp's)? Or would renaming the top screen mess anything up? I don't have access to my DS right now so I can't experiment. So I thought I would just ask.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Usually upon switching to a skin that doesn't have an image the right size or correct bit-depth the last skins image wil remain. 98% of skin troubles I had were because the image wasn't saved at the right bit depth.

DespizingU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the one skin that is having trouble I've used before(it's my favorite skin), and always appeared like it should in the Evo. But now I have a few skin on the cart, so one of them must be interfering with this one.

So I should just go through and remove each skin until I find the one that is interfering?

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is what each skin should contain:

bottom.bmp 145KB
cheat-icons.bmp 5KB
menu-icons.bmp 73KB
scrollbar.bmp 2KB
skin.xml 1KB
top.bmp 145KB

Most likely, if you look through your skins one of the top.bmp or bottom.bmp is gonna be a size other than 145KB and thats the offender.

ndsloser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks, and coul anyone tell me where I put the file when I download it? I extracted straight to the SD card i.e. wher all the games are. Does it need to go into that other folder, I'll try it in there but if anyone can confirm, that would be great

SpectralSounds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NDSThemes.com sucks.

Their site is slow and they force you to register to download themes. Screw that noise. I should only have to register if I'm uploading themes or posting on forums.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SpectralSounds said:
NDSThemes.com sucks.

Their site is slow and they force you to register to download themes. Screw that noise. I should only have to register if I'm uploading themes or posting on forums.
True the site is slow, but no registering is required. Pick a skin. Press "Download". Press "No Thanks, Just Download". Press "Download" again. Download box will pop up.

ndsloser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have put the skin file in the CycloDS folder but when I boot it up and go to the settings menu I can't seem to change it. Any ideas as to what's gone wrong?

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ndsloser said:
So I have put the skin file in the CycloDS folder but when I boot it up and go to the settings menu I can't seem to change it. Any ideas as to what's gone wrong?
Make a folder in the cyclods folder called skins. Put the skins (each in a seperate folder) into the skins folder. Like this:
cyclods\skins\MarioSkin

ndsloser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome
yaynds.gif

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
gratefulbuddy said:
SpectralSounds said:
NDSThemes.com sucks.

True the site is slow, but no registering is required. Pick a skin. Press "Download". Press "No Thanks, Just Download". Press "Download" again. Download box will pop up.

Actually, you have to register now. Forced memberships for teh win.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DarkAura said:
gratefulbuddy said:
SpectralSounds said:
NDSThemes.com sucks.

Actually, you have to register now. Forced memberships for teh win.
What is happening to make you think you have to register? Try it again. I wrote those instructions as I was re-trying it to make sure nothing had changed. I just went and re-tried it now. I still have never registered and the login box at the top the page is blank and empty and yet I was/am able to download using the steps I listed above.

SpectralSounds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am still not able to bypass registration in order to download. I tried again after you claimed it was possible to download without registration.

That unfortunately is not the case for me. When I click on, "No thanks, just download" It sends me to another page that says, "Click the button to start your theme download".

Upon clicking that button, it sends me to a registration page that says, "Registration - Free and required for unlimited downloads!".

Nowhere on that page is a link to bypass registration. So, I stand by my above statement. Forced registration sucks.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SpectralSounds said:
I am still not able to bypass registration in order to download. I tried again after you claimed it was possible to download without registration.

That unfortunately is not the case for me. When I click on, "No thanks, just download" It sends me to another page that says, "Click the button to start your theme download".

Upon clicking that button, it sends me to a registration page that says, "Registration - Free and required for unlimited downloads!".

Nowhere on that page is a link to bypass registration. So, I stand by my above statement. Forced registration sucks.

I tried it again and now know what you are doing wrong. On the add comment page, DO NOT put anything in the Human check part or the add a comment part. JUST press "No Thanks, Just Download", thats all you do on that page.

SpectralSounds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didnt put anything in that humancheck box in the first place. I just clicked on the download now button. I'm telling you man, it is not working for me.

It's not like I'm an ignorant computer user either so you can rule out PEBCAK.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Every so often they only come around like once a year