Single Player Gaming is a "Gimmick"

abdelmajidtolba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Unfortunately time is with his gimmick hairless Egg Head.
we all remember nes,psx,even ps2 era when we had to play 20-40 hours to finish a game.Today i see guys finishing a game in 4-5 hours .You can even encounter day 1 full walkthrough.
The reason is simple: these douchbag Devs spend too much time in intellectual masturbation (16 XX filter,anisotropic filter,bump mapping,tesselation) and in two months they barely finishes 20 minutes level in a game.
In the end only Multiplayer game can give it back its true length.Not free though: Online pass,DLC.
And i dont even recall seeing a game released since 2009 that has not online.
Thanks Who? that Douchy Company called EA...

Reactions: suppow

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
While I agree that Multi-Player Gaming is in most cases more fun than Single-Player, I would hate to imagine how games like Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, or, lets say, Angry Birds, for variety would play with more than 1 player. These games are not designed to be multiplayer. Saying that Single-Player games are a gimmick would be akin to condemning these games to "gimmick" status. While debatable for Angry Birds, you can't deny the fact that by itself, without all the crap and milking the franchise is going through now, it's a pretty decent game.

Lol
I just tweeted this to him
Do you hate Professor Layton? He's just a gimmick, is he not?

LDAsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singleplayer games are good because the opponents don't throw a tantrum, give up and disconnect just because they are being beaten by you. They fight right to the last moment, with courage and bravery. They don't have this obnoxious win or quit attitude.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
I admire Nintendo for its angle on Multiplayer - essentially involving family and friends within the room to create fun interactive multiplayer titles , mario kart to name but 1 , i have also been a clan member and administrator over the years playing strictly team based fps . I also like the idea of (although have never tried it ) online fifa , thats gotta be team based and interactive i would imagine , but all of those games i mentioned are first and foremost in my mind single player games with an added "perk" . I guess it differs slightly dependant on the game genre wether or not the multiplayer ruins anything , but never would i suggest single play to be a gimmick its obviously how games began , with multiplay being a relatively new "big ass fuckin gimmick. The guys blinkered in his views clearly .

edit : i suppose to a degree with older fps especially , the poor AI made some single player games a tad repetative and the challenge or true inteligence (i use that term loosely) gave them more of a challenge , but never with any true story to follow , just mindless spray n pray .

Wanted

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
And how many of the xbox live customers are silver? I personally never buy a multiplayer only game. Did nobody learn anything from Skyrim? Multiplayer games are the reality TV of video games IMO.

Eity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me multiplayer is more like a gimmick. I was played from 7 years old (and now I almost 26) and for all this time I was not even played any MMO games. And don't really want to (well if some game is that good I might be willing to play). Really only online game I played was some online tetris in which i played for like 10 minutes... Now I pretty much always play alone without any online or even friends. And fine with that.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Who listens to a bald guy like him.... His games are shit anyways like come on. From my experience real gamer's are pretty much anti social and I would have a hard time talking or being social while playing an intence session of BL2.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Really not much for me to say. AW already basically covered all my thoughts in his second post. Multiplayer has become much more gimmicky for sure, with so many games (especially shooters like CoD) half-assing a single player campaign, and relying completely on multiplayer to carry it.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
Really not much for me to say. AW already basically covered all my thoughts in his second post. Multiplayer has become much more gimmicky for sure, with so many games (especially shooters like CoD) half-assing a single player campaign, and relying completely on multiplayer to carry it.
It also sucks that alot of singleplayer games will also try to have a multiplayer mode as well even if its poorly done it feels like its a compulsory thing.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
to be honest i've had multiple encounters with games i wanted to play offline multiplayer and couldnt, since they could only be played online multiplayer.
it's ridiculous that having all the people in the same room, with all the controllers, a working a console and a game in it you cant play a game that has multiplayer,
and instead are forced to buy more of the same consoles, more copiesof the same game, and pay an online subscription, aside from getting the console connected to a lan etc.
that's a gimmick to get you to buy that crap,
personally i prefer the multiplayer days of 4player Goldeneye or most other games like that on a n64 for example,
and havent felt any multiplayer since then to be better.
:nayps3: (<- not console specific =P)
But anyway, the OP specifies multiplayer in general, not online-multiplayer.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
But anyway, the OP specifies multiplayer in general, not online-multiplayer.
Still doesn't really change the fact that multiplayer based games dominates a bit to much of the market making devs think that every game must have some form of multiplayer.

Fazermint

I like dem vidya gaimes
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
To be wrong does not mean he's a douchebag. I don't think insults are called for. He made a statement, he was proven wrong, let's all move on and play single player games. Foreveralone.jpg

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well lets look at the Zelda franchise, fantastic gaming series built around Single Player Gaming. A few trials have been made to make Zelda games multiplayer, but every time its the multiplayer mode that feels like a gimmick (Four Swords and Four Swords adventures while fun, certainly don't match up to the difficulty and immersiveness of single player Zeldas, and the battle modes in the DS games are fun enough, but don't compete with the Single player mode). Point is, single player Gaming is a necessity for some games, maybe not all, but certainly some. Incredibly closed minded of this fool to say such a thing of all single player games.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Single-player is not a gimmick.
Multi-player is not a gimmick.
Stories are not a gimmick.

Hundreds of games and lots of game series have been sold throughout the years, based on these concepts, throughout the years, to critical acclaim.

Lots of people in this thread need to look up what the word actually means.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

brakken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If guys like these are meant to be the future gaming developers, well, expect A LOT of social networking crap games. These kind of "gamers/devs" makes me sick, I'm sure a lot of people like him never enjoyed a single player game in all it's glory, from A to Z, hours and hours searching every corner, reading every dialogue and discovering everything from the game itself, history and gameplay. Trying harder to improve skills in those hard games and again spending hours and hours in the process. Today devs (not all of them) are very weird.

These generations of developers are the same people when computers and video games first starting making headwind bullied those who embraced the technology because we didn't want to play their retarded run around in circles throwing a ball in a basket type games or saught to be "popular" or "in". We were happy to take our computers apart, see the birth of graphical operating systems and play a lot of really good single player games. He seems like he was the type to pick on a "nerd" and now generations later he is still doing the same thing, yet using computers with no regrets of past misdeeds against early adopters of technology. His generation can bite me. Someone needs to have some fun with his bank account or something. I really hate these types.

Also, whomever stated multiplayer is what makes a game. Most multiplayer games are crappy console FPS. Halo and all of the rest over hyped crappy FPS do not deserve to be considered. Get a real gaming rig and play FPS like they should be played and you'll never touch a console FPS again. That is; if you have any common sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm