Gaming Sims 3 (Mac) Graphics

Freekthinker1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Running this on a new Mac and my graphics suck. I took snap shots of game play while running all the graphics settings on HIGH !

http://img57618.pictiger.com/images/18144805/z/
http://img57618.pictiger.com/images/18144806/z/
http://img57618.pictiger.com/images/18144807/z/

Can anyone help who is also having graphic problems for Mac or PC ?

My Specs
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4.1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.31f0

Graphics Display - Intel GMA X3100:

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Graphics Display - Intel GMA X3100
dry.gif

There's your problem

Get a real PC....

Mr.Seiko

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, the GMA x3100 is definitely the issue.

Some of the Upgrades would offer better Video options, like the nVidia GeForce

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, as a fellow Mac user, this isn't a "Macs Suck" argument, this is a "Macbooks don't have good graphics cards in them" argument. The Macbook only has a small integrated graphics card in it, which can barely do any 3D graphics. To play games on a mac, you would want one with a dedicated graphics card, such as the Macbook Pro or the iMac. The latest revision of Macbooks have a new Nvidia integrated chip which might be able to handle a game or two, but for the most part you're going to want to upgrade to a machine with some dedicated graphics.

...which means to play The Sims 3 you'll need a new computer. Sorry. Macbooks have non-upgradeable graphics cards.

Freekthinker1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mr.Seiko said:
Yeah, the GMA x3100 is definitely the issue.

Some of the Upgrades would offer better Video options, like the nVidia GeForce

Can those even be upgraded for macs ? If the video card is the problem for this game I'm almost willing to invest for a quick fix
smile.gif

Freekthinker1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxle said:
Yeah, as a fellow Mac user, this isn't a "Macs Suck" argument, this is a "Macbooks don't have good graphics cards in them" argument. The Macbook only has a small integrated graphics card in it, which can barely do any 3D graphics. To play games on a mac, you would want one with a dedicated graphics card, such as the Macbook Pro or the iMac. The latest revision of Macbooks have a new Nvidia integrated chip which might be able to handle a game or two, but for the most part you're going to want to upgrade to a machine with some dedicated graphics.

...which means to play The Sims 3 you'll need a new computer. Sorry. Macbooks have non-upgradeable graphics cards.

The new Aluminum mac notebook has Nvida and a few of the bulky mac pros do also.
I don't know how much it's worth to upgrade I'm more of a console gamer. The sims series and the movies are really the only games I use on my macbook.

Freekthinker1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EA did really market the sims 3 as being an all around PC/Mac game though. It is some what disappointing since they stated repeated that it would work "smoothly" on even old computers, yet on a 6 month old macbook the graphics are choppy !

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well I shouldnt have a problem with this game at all

anyway there is no quick fix, you cant change it, its integrated into the mac motherboard
the only fix is either buying a PC with a powerful graphics card (or a decent one)
or buying the most expensive mac book pro out

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30