Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Simply Skin v1.0a

Theme creation app for M3S/R4

GBAtemp member jdbye has released version 1.0a of his M3 DS Simply / R4 DS Skin creation and previewing app 'Simply Skin'. Here's what he has to say about it:
jdbye said:
It doesn't have that many features yet, but I'm open for suggestions!

Currently it can create all 4 skin .bmp files and a customized theme.ini.
It will create icons.bmp from a background image and three 72x72 images, so you don't have to worry about putting them in an icons.bmp, aligning them correctly, etc.

Background images are resized automatically (may not look that great, but probably better than if you had resized them using MS Paint). If you don't want this, just provide a 256x192 image.

The 72x72 images will be transparent, using the color of the bottom left pixel in the image as transparent color. So, if you fill the transparent parts with a rarely used color, like magenta, it will show up transparent on the picture.

There is currently no way of creating project files for modifying later, but it's possible to open an existing theme.ini.

The program will also show a preview of the skin so you know exactly how it will look before you put it on your MicroSD.

It will also save a screenshot of how the skin will look on a R4.
download.gif
Download

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That topic is locked to me.
It is? Guess they want you to use this topic to discuss in then
wink.gif

*changes URL in download center*

EDIT: I've seen that on most of the other stuff on the front page, you make a link saying "Discussion" leading to the news topic, maybe its an idea to do that to this topic too, since probably not everyone notices the little link saying "Read", and then they wonder why there's no link to a discussion topic
wink.gif

ravagekd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cant get this program to do anything in vista, running "elevated" or not. anyone got a FM for me to RTFM and im completely stupid & didnt see it linked anywhere, or is this just a software issue in the OS?

edit: discovered that the process WAS running in the background after i tried clicking the program (i had three copies running when i just found this, heh), but there's still no "application" running that can be found from TaskMan, AltTab, minimize all my other active windows in case it was hiding out behind everything, nothing. doh
frown.gif

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
cant get this program to do anything in vista, running "elevated" or not. anyone got a FM for me to RTFM and im completely stupid & didnt see it linked anywhere, or is this just a software issue in the OS?

edit: discovered that the process WAS running in the background after i tried clicking the program (i had three copies running when i just found this, heh), but there's still no "application" running that can be found from TaskMan, AltTab, minimize all my other active windows in case it was hiding out behind everything, nothing. doh
frown.gif

It's a vista issue. A lot of things don't currently work properly on vista, which is why I've decided to not switch to vista until they fix those issues.
wink.gif

EDIT: You CAN however try run as administrator or run it in compatibility mode, but I'm not sure if that will work.

Well ok!

The only suggestion I had was to add e-book and GBA skinning screens.
Actually, i never even thought of that, but it's a good idea
smile.gif

I'll look into it. GBA border will come first (maybe with possibility to use a tiled image as a border?).
There's not really much to do about the GBA border though...

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ah, that's too bad. Well, i think most people still have XP (if they don't get Vista preinstalled that is) so it won't be a problem for the majority.

ravagekd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, that's what i meant by running the program "elevated"... eg: running as administrator.

jdbye, im not trying to make a personal dig here but is it impossible for you to look at the code and see what is causing the window display to not function properly in vista? I'm not defending the OS at all, I know it has its issues... that said, I also don't have problems getting 99% of programs to run and it's a bit sad to see you write it off.

would have liked to see the program in action, ah well.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
lagman: did you extract the archive? It NEEDS the DLL, so if you don't extract both files in a directory, it won't work.
If that's not the problem, then I'm not sure, but if you don't have SP2 and/or newest DirectX, that may be the problem.
wink.gif

yeah, that's what i meant by running the program "elevated"... eg: running as administrator.

jdbye, im not trying to make a personal dig here but is it impossible for you to look at the code and see what is causing the window display to not function properly in vista? I'm not defending the OS at all, I know it has its issues... that said, I also don't have problems getting 99% of programs to run and it's a bit sad to see you write it off.

would have liked to see the program in action, ah well.
It doesn't work because... It's made in *cough*Game Maker*cough*
tongue.gif
Easiest way for me to do image manipulation.

Ad_Enuff

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think I have found a bug

I'm trying to create a theme, but every time I browse my PC to locate the image on my hard drive I get this error

ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for obj_1_scr1:

Trying to draw non-existing sprite

ABORT or IGNORE

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol