Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmct

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone confirm that the md5 has changed for the new 3ds USA and is not N3DS 9.2.0-20U:
MD5:e5f40c3b155cfd12ef38be35d2e81d2e

??

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also every website I've downloaded from has had md5:
e6339468a1e82b1d50e9222f017c0477

Is this confirmed working for the Cia update files on the n3ds usa?

I just performed the downgrade from 9.6.0-24U -> 9.2.0-20U using the same zip you're referencing (successfully). The MD5 posted for this file on that site differs from OP's listing. Mine was also listed as:

E6339468A1E82B1D50E9222F017C0477

Which is correct based on where I downloaded it.

Viary

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok mine get to Getting CIA File info....

Failed to get a certain on.

keep trying and it will work eventually right?

DannyJune

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
It seems like sysupdater has problems with SD card access. Opening and closing another application before starting sysupdater seems to help, but not always.
Starting and exiting ftBrony (included in the homebrew starter pack) and then launching sysupdater helped many people.

I personally had success with zoogie's "Downgrade Check 2.0"
https://gbatemp.net/threads/potenti...after-downgrading.410075/page-10#post-6006406
After more than 30 "failed to get CIA info" or freezes it finally worked after I (accidentally) openend/closed the downgrade check beforehand.

This is not guaranteed to work, but I think simply opening any homebrew app before sysupdater improves the chances.

So it is a problem that could be solved by trying more time, right?

jmct

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cant find the rom but ill just try with another game, thanks for the help.

Btw when you start the game, it just tells you to update?

And do you need internet connection to do so?

I tried several of my cartridges (Bravely Default, Link Between Worlds, Fire Emblem: Awakening) and the only one that forced me to update was Fire Emblem: Conquest. I was on 9.2.0-20U, but I had a frankenfirmware unfortunately. I just updated safely to 10.3.0-20U by only using Conquest. Going to try downgrading back to 9.2.0 and see if it gets any better...

edit: I don't know if an internet connection is required for the prompt, but mine was on.

Last edited by jmct,

ZShock

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I don't know how I fucked up. I downloaded 9.2.0-20U(full)_n3DS for my n3ds XL 9.9 (e6339468a1e82b1d50e9222f017c0477), and in the middle of the sysupdater downgrade I got a black screen and then the infamous press power to reset screen... Normal bootup led to softbrick so I'm currently updating (sigh...) in recovery mode.

edit: oh well, at least I didn't brick it. I'll try tomorrow with a friend's copy of Ocarina of Time.

edit2: Guess I can't downgrade from 10.6 without hardmod, welp, back to my o3ds :(

Last edited by ZShock,

drjulittle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks appreciate it! I will be downgrading tonight! Did you by chance you sys updater or safesys

I just performed the downgrade from 9.6.0-24U -> 9.2.0-20U using the same zip you're referencing (successfully). The MD5 posted for this file on that site differs from OP's listing. Mine was also listed as:

E6339468A1E82B1D50E9222F017C0477

Which is correct based on where I downloaded it.

jmct

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks appreciate it! I will be downgrading tonight! Did you by chance you sys updater or safesys

I used sysupdater (the one in the OP). Funny enough, it worked on my first try.

I had to upgrade back to 10.3 as I only had a partial update and I've spent well >8 hours trying to downgrade again to 9.2. Big headache. :(

drjulittle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for info I may be trying safesysupdater tonight I'm hearing lots of success on 10.3 but may do little more research if you happen to get things installed correct let me know. Is sys updater just not opening now?

I used sysupdater (the one in the OP). Funny enough, it worked on my first try.

I had to upgrade back to 10.3 as I only had a partial update and I've spent well >8 hours trying to downgrade again to 9.2. Big headache. :(

jmct

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for info I may be trying safesysupdater tonight I'm hearing lots of success on 10.3 but may do little more research if you happen to get things installed correct let me know. Is sys updater just not opening now?

SysUpdater opens (like 20% of the time) and when it does, it either accepts no input (pressing Y to downgrade does nothing) or I get that wonderful "Failed to get CIA" error that I've seen posted by several others.

I'm at work now, but I've been reading people having success formatting their N3DS's and it working on the first try after that. I'll try that when I get home.

All in all, I hope the developers of these tools aren't creating applications for production environments. :)

Last edited by jmct,

drjulittle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info I actually ran safesysupdater with correct cias for us n3ds and it downgraded complete to 9.2 first try. No error codes and no problem opening the safesysupdater you Def should give it a try. Only thing I made sure I was on 10.3 before downgrading and using safesys. Also I used ninjhax as my hbl entry

SysUpdater opens (like 20% of the time) and when it does, it either accepts no input (pressing Y to downgrade does nothing) or I get that wonderful "Failed to get CIA" error that I've seen posted by several others.

I'm at work now, but I've been reading people having success formatting their N3DS's and it working on the first try after that. I'll try that when I get home.

All in all, I hope the developers of these tools aren't creating applications for production environments. :)

jmct

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info I actually ran safesysupdater with correct cias for us n3ds and it downgraded complete to 9.2 first try. No error codes and no problem opening the safesysupdater you Def should give it a try. Only thing I made sure I was on 10.3 before downgrading and using safesys. Also I used ninjhax as my hbl entry

Grats man! Yep - definitely on 10.3 and using menuhax (installed using ninjhax) as entry point.

Did you use the version posted here?

http://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-safesysupdater.409392/

drjulittle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did use the version on that link "SafeSysUpdater.3dsx-09.zip"

All you do is extract it and put in 3ds folder just how sysupdater worked. If you have cubic ninja i suggest using ninjhax even though I am sure menuhax works just as well. Hope all works as well as mine did. Lmk the outcome!

Grats man! Yep - definitely on 10.3 and using menuhax (installed using ninjhax) as entry point.

Did you use the version posted here?

http://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-safesysupdater.409392/

jmct

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did use the version on that link "SafeSysUpdater.3dsx-09.zip"

All you do is extract it and put in 3ds folder just how sysupdater worked. If you have cubic ninja i suggest using ninjhax even though I am sure menuhax works just as well. Hope all works as well as mine did. Lmk the outcome!

Wow - SafeSysUpdater worked on the first try! This needs to be added to the OP! :P

At the end of the upgrade, it did say "Trying to reboot in 10 sec... PowerOff your device if it doesn't... Trying to reboot...". I ended up manually turning it off as suggested, removing my SD card, booting up, entering my SD card and changing the theme to something besides default (as I read some people were having issues with menuhax blocking the boot process). I deleted the old menuhax just in case.

Now confirmed on 9.2.0-20U with downgrade_checker showing the correct mismatched files. :)

drjulittle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! Yeah I had the same issue when doing a manual reboot which I was nervous for but it worked just fine. Also ran downgrade checker and everything was complete the normal 5 titles aren't installed on n3ds for us version. Congrats on downgrading

Wow - SafeSysUpdater worked on the first try! This needs to be added to the OP! :P

At the end of the upgrade, it did say "Trying to reboot in 10 sec... PowerOff your device if it doesn't... Trying to reboot...". I ended up manually turning it off as suggested, removing my SD card, booting up, entering my SD card and changing the theme to something besides default (as I read some people were having issues with menuhax blocking the boot process). I deleted the old menuhax just in case.

Now confirmed on 9.2.0-20U with downgrade_checker showing the correct mismatched files. :)

Reactions: jmct

DannyJune

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
It seems like sysupdater has problems with SD card access. Opening and closing another application before starting sysupdater seems to help, but not always.
Starting and exiting ftBrony (included in the homebrew starter pack) and then launching sysupdater helped many people.

I personally had success with zoogie's "Downgrade Check 2.0"
https://gbatemp.net/threads/potenti...after-downgrading.410075/page-10#post-6006406
After more than 30 "failed to get CIA info" or freezes it finally worked after I (accidentally) openend/closed the downgrade check beforehand.

This is not guaranteed to work, but I think simply opening any homebrew app before sysupdater improves the chances.
I use your way and try hundreds pf times but still fail...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Finally there are people here