Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipsytoto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you use the same sysupdater to upgrade from 9.8 to 10.3? is there an upgrade button or do you just hit downgrade and it will upgrade?

chris_247

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 9.5-22j n3ds. I know to downgrade I have to delete that one CIA but I want to update to 10.3 before I try to downgrade. What version of sysupdater should I use and are there any files I need to delete before updating? Is the process the same for updating? menuhacks->homebrew channel->Sysupdate->Update? Thanks

dragonmear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone help I have a 2ds with 9.4U and when I enter the sysUpdater, I can't press Y or B etc when it launches it freezes or something. What should I do to get it to start downgrading?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2016-02-18 11:57:01.png
    Screenshot from 2016-02-18 11:57:01.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 257

CodeKiller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone help I have a 2ds with 9.4U and when I enter the sysUpdater, I can't press Y or B etc when it launches it freezes or something. What should I do to get it to start downgrading?
Keep trying, and try to launch it via a different entry point. Try to boot to it directly if you got OoT or Cubic Ninja. Also use julian's sysupdater, I've read it's the best. safesysupdater is outdated and julians contains steveice's work so I think his is also up to date more-so than the 4.2 version.

To tipsytoto
There's an option for upgrade and downgrade, MAKE SURE YOU PRESS THE RIGHT ONE.

Last edited by CodeKiller,

dragonmear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep trying, and try to launch it via a different entry point. Try to boot to it directly if you got OoT or Cubic Ninja. Also use julian's sysupdater, I've read it's the best. safesysupdater is outdated and julians contains steveice's work so I think his is also up to date more-so than the 4.2 version.

To tipsytoto
There's an option for upgrade and downgrade, MAKE SURE YOU PRESS THE RIGHT ONE.
Thanks so much it works what I did is that I used safesysupdater with my wifi on when I did it, it took me 10 tries and it worked!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ehhh... I want to do this but I'm too scared. -.- You all are so brave xD
its safe to do it use safesysupdater with wifi on and try a couple of times or more and it will work

Attachments

• IMG_20160218_191903.jpg
    IMG_20160218_191903.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 248

Kikirini

Zelda Fangirl
Trophies
Website
kuroshouri.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much it works what I did is that I used safesysupdater with my wifi on when I did it, it took me 10 tries and it worked!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

its safe to do it use safesysupdater with wifi on and try a couple of times or more and it will work
I thought it wasn't as safe on N3DS?

Terr1

Trophies
XP
Country
I got a 9.8e n3ds and installed menuhax and tried to downgrade to 9.2e using safesysupdater... first pink dots crash, then I tried again and it verified all but crashed while installing CIA, error occurced in lower screen and now black screen.. I can enter recovery, however I am now fucked and forced to upgrade to 10.5?

If i Remove SD Card I can boot it up though

cannot launch system settings or browser.. seems half updated.. guess i have to recover to 10.5

Last edited by Terr1,

CodeKiller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok guys I just did it!

I'm on 9.9.0-26U
Put SD in computer
I used SD Formater v4 to full format (OVERWRITE) and said yes to the second option something about format/file adjustment.
Copied starter kit to SD card using TeraCopy, verified EVERYTHING with it.
Made updates folder on SD root.
Verified my upgrade pack via md5 online checker.
Extracted it via 7zip
Copied and Verified with TeraCopy to SD folder "updates"
Copied julian's sysupdater to SD card (3ds folder) using TeraCopy, VERIFIED
Put SD card in 3DS
Ran entry point(oot3dhax) and installed menuhax 2.2, set up with L button to load on boot.
Shutdown and restarted my 3ds and booted to homebrew launcher.
Ran ftpbrony and then held L=R=B=Down until it restarted to homebrew launcher
Ran sysupdater (julian's build), loades perfectly, hit A for update. BAM success and reboots just fine to 10.3
Shutdown!

Put SD card in computer and deleted all files in updates folder.
Extract (7zip) 9.2.0-20U and copy to "updates" folder on SD cardwith TeraCopy, VERIFIED.
Put SD card in 3ds, turn on with L held to boot into homebrewloader
Launch FTPbrony and exit with L+R+B+Down
Launch sysupdater (julian's)
Loads perfectly, pray to God.
Hit Y to downgrade
BAM success

On 9.2!!!!!!!! on N3ds from 9.9 -> 10.3 -> 9.2, hello world here I come!

No problems whatsoever, if you got problems after update you got a bad update pack PLEASE USE TERACOPY!!!!!!

Guys by the way I didn't use "that iso site's: 9.2 update pack, because it did not match the OP's MD5, I found mine by googling the .zip's filename and got it off some guys blog that was linked to that iso site. I did the MD5 check on it and it passed the OP's numbers.

Last edited by CodeKiller,

Fernando_a

Trophies
XP
Country
Can you please PM the link that you used to download the updates files (9.2 update pack) , why did you upgrade and then downgrade?

Ok guys I just did it!

I'm on 9.9.0-26U
Put SD in computer
I used SD Formater v4 to full format (OVERWRITE) and said yes to the second option something about format/file adjustment.
Copied starter kit to SD card using TeraCopy, verified EVERYTHING with it.
Made updates folder on SD root.
Verified my upgrade pack via md5 online checker.
Extracted it via 7zip
Copied and Verified with TeraCopy to SD folder "updates"
Copied julian's sysupdater to SD card (3ds folder) using TeraCopy, VERIFIED
Put SD card in 3DS
Ran entry point(oot3dhax) and installed menuhax 2.2, set up with L button to load on boot.
Shutdown and restarted my 3ds and booted to homebrew launcher.
Ran ftpbrony and then held L=R=B=Down until it restarted to homebrew launcher
Ran sysupdater (julian's build), loades perfectly, hit A for update. BAM success and reboots just fine to 10.3
Shutdown!

Put SD card in computer and deleted all files in updates folder.
Extract (7zip) 9.2.0-20U and copy to "updates" folder on SD cardwith TeraCopy, VERIFIED.
Put SD card in 3ds, turn on with L held to boot into homebrewloader
Launch FTPbrony and exit with L+R+B+Down
Launch sysupdater (julian's)
Loads perfectly, pray to God.
Hit Y to downgrade
BAM success

On 9.2!!!!!!!! on N3ds from 9.9 -> 10.3 -> 9.2, hello world here I come!

No problems whatsoever, if you got problems after update you got a bad update pack PLEASE USE TERACOPY!!!!!!

Guys by the way I didn't use "that iso site's: 9.2 update pack, because it did not match the OP's MD5, I found mine by googling the .zip's filename and got it off some guys blog that was linked to that iso site. I did the MD5 check on it and it passed the OP's numbers.

Last edited by Fernando_a,

hirvimies

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Does this delete your system data (such as NNID linkage)?

No, I have still my NNID linked to my 3DS after downgrading and installing CFW. But my Digital games and saves dissappeared, not after downgrading, but after setting up CFW. I used SVDT beforehand to backup my saves and restored them after everything was set up so that's no problem. Also my streetpasses are left untouched, didn't need to back that up.

mobai7

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I launch SysUpdater using Ninjhax (Sky3DS), but after pressing Y it briefly shows the message 'Getting CIA file informations', then just goes back to the Homebrew Launcher.

This means I have to try 'other entrypoints', doesn't it? Has anyone successfully downgraded using Sky3DS/Ninjhax?

Last edited by mobai7,

RhythmCat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I launch SysUpdater using Ninjhax (Sky3DS), but after pressing Y it briefly shows the message 'Getting CIA file informations', then just goes back to the Homebrew Launcher.

This means I have to try 'other entrypoints', doesn't it? Has anyone successfully downgraded using Sky3DS/Ninjhax?

I downgraded with Menuhax. You should go for other entrypoints. :P

Small Kat

PC addict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So ive downgraded directly from 9.8 to 9.2 and now everything is a bit slower, and when i go to system settings, it just stays hanging in the "nintendo 3ds" loading screen.

What should i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs