Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jarjarv1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're o3DS so it might not be the same, but for those of us with N3DS that got this problem, formatting the 3DS itself (not the SD card) did the trick. I had well over a dozen soft-bricks, and when I formatted the 3DS it worked the first time.

I just realized this myself, about to do it now. I have some software saved to my SD card though, is my save data safe for when I put the SD card back in? I'll probably have to redownload the eShop titles right? (doing system format memory without the SD card in)

If you installed the update, but youre getting an error, reboot WITHOUT your sd card. Then insert your sd card if it boots up successfully.

I downgrade successfully, but kept getting a black screen. I took out the sd card, and everything worked

Tried this many times, still no luck. May have to go with the system format option.

Last edited by jarjarv1,

DragonspiritPT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you!
N3DS downgraded with success. My console was stuck at "..rebooting in 10 seconds..." I had to shut it down and turn on manually.

Ailuros27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I managed to get past that problem, but it has softbricked twice in a row. I don't think there's any way I could have the wrong CIA files, as I've tripled checked that I have 9.2.0U for N3DS. At this point, if I keep trying this setup, is there any chance it will eventually work, or do I quadruple check that I have the correct files and then try again? I know people have done this properly and not had to format, so I'm not doing that. I'd rather have a non-kernel N3DS than lose all my saves.

AileenLumina

Python main, software engineer and API designer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@TheStoneBanana Can you give a summarization based on people's reports what is the safest downgrade method? Which additional steps are improving memchunkhax2 in terms of stability? :)

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just realized this myself, about to do it now. I have some software saved to my SD card though, is my save data safe for when I put the SD card back in? I'll probably have to redownload the eShop titles right? (doing system format memory without the SD card in)

No. When you format your 3DS console itself, your encryption key changes. Meaning that you'll lose your saves if you don't back them up with SVDT or some other save manager. And yes, you'll have to redownload and reinstall any software, since the game data is also encrypted.

Ailuros27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me put it another way: Has anyone ever done everything right, gotten a softbrick, and then updated to 10.3, tried again (changing nothing) and succeeded? All without reformatting?

Pokéfan Kieran

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok I'm almost at the point of giving up, I used windows, I used ninjhax, ironhax and MENUHAX, even opening ftbrony before using sysupdater and the oh so vague error comes up "failed to find cia info" which could mean a lot of things. Also I checked I have the right CIA files

And yes it's o3ds 10.3 e

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also if I format my 3ds will my hax files still be there?

Ailuros27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Third softbrick in a row, even after quadruple checking the files again. So I'll ask yet again:
Has anyone ever softbricked an N3DS then managed to downgrade successfully without formatting? That is NOT an option for me.

RayD97

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
10.3 downgraded successfully to 9.2
3rd try, retained all my downloaded games and such.

Ailuros27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So when you say 3rd try, that means you softbricked twice, right? Just trying to be clear.

Fourth. Trying again.

If worse comes to worse, I suppose I could reformat. But only if someone know a way I can get save data out of some of my eShop titles, like my DSiWare (Four Swords), my GBA titles, and titles like Sakura Samurai. I've tried svdt with these, but it won't work.

CharlesHoy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Now that I've downgraded using this I can't seem to get any cfw to work, they all freeze or hit a black screen or kick me back to the home menu. The only one that has told me anything is cakes which says my firmware.bin and firmkey.bin are incorrect and I've tried 2 different ones, what am I doing wrong?

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you installed the update, but youre getting an error, reboot WITHOUT your sd card. Then insert your sd card if it boots up successfully.

I downgrade successfully, but kept getting a black screen. I took out the sd card, and everything worked
they are talking about a different problem.

the black screen is a different issue than the power off error screen

Now that I've downgraded using this I can't seem to get any cfw to work, they all freeze or hit a black screen or kick me back to the home menu. The only one that has told me anything is cakes which says my firmware.bin and firmkey.bin are incorrect and I've tried 2 different ones, what am I doing wrong?

you are probably not following the instructions exactly. there are a lot of steps to CFW and missing any one will behave this way. PLUS they aren't 100% stable anyway. I found the rxtools tutorials to be quite accurate (having done CFW twice now once on a downgrade once on a native 9.0 FW, both n3ds)

Ailuros27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if this error people are getting from downgrading is somehow connected to *hax. Just now, I was attempting to back up what save data I can with svdt, and when I chose "Sakura Samurai" as the target, I got the usual reaction, but when it got to the final red bottom screen, it gave me that "An error has occurred, turn off the power" that I've been getting immediately after downgrading.

Edit: It did it a second time on the same game.

Loading the game from the home menu does not cause that error, though.

Last edited by Ailuros27,

Pokéfan Kieran

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm getting "Failed to find CIA file info" error with this even though I downloaded the correct file and verified the checksums, both of the zip file and the individual files (102) in all. I'm on a 10.1 N3DS XL (MM 3D version) and running the sysupdater from the OP.
titleException:
main.cpp:148: Result 0xD900182F
Failed to get CIA file info

I transferred the files to the SD fresh again, after this time making sure to unblock the zip file and unzip it with 7zip, and still get the same error.
What does is mean "use the home button if you run the CIA version"?
same

waffletower

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time. EVERY TIME I DOWNGRADE SUCCESSFULLY I GET AN ERROR ON BOOT
So I guess technically it's not a success.

I've done everything except format my N3DS itself (and messing with my dbs files like a YouTube video said). Gonna try yet another version of sysupdater (I was linked here to julian's download, but I think that's the first one I tried).
Why is this so much harder than my O3DS was?

Edit: Dumb question, is there a reason all of the SHA1 values in the guide post have a question mark at the end? The MD5 checked out okay for the N3DS firmware I downloaded, and the SHA1 checked out fine, except for the ? (which is at the end of all of those in the guide, but was not at the end of my result)

Last edited by waffletower,

Ailuros27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Suddenly I got really good idea. Or a really insane one. I have my O3DS' emunand on 10.3, the same version as my N3DS, now that I used recovery mode. Is it possible I could use my O3DS as an ark, system transferring to the O3DS, which would reformat the N3DS, then downgrade the N3DS? I'd have my data on my old system in emunand, then, if/when N3DS gets emunand above 9.5, I could system transfer back? Is system transferring from a sysnand to an emunand even possible, as long as they are on the same system menu version?

RayD97

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So when you say 3rd try, that means you softbricked twice, right? Just trying to be clear.
Sorry should have clarified what that meant. 3 tries before FBI actually displayed something. But the first time I saw FBI display something (which was on the 3rd try) it downgraded very smoothly after pressing y. The only thing that happened to me was that when it said "Rebooting in 10 seconds..." I had to manually press the power button and power up again. Other than that, went great. N3DSXL btw.

SonicHyuga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Suddenly I got really good idea. Or a really insane one. I have my O3DS' emunand on 10.3, the same version as my N3DS, now that I used recovery mode. Is it possible I could use my O3DS as an ark, system transferring to the O3DS, which would reformat the N3DS, then downgrade the N3DS? I'd have my data on my old system in emunand, then, if/when N3DS gets emunand above 9.5, I could system transfer back? Is system transferring from a sysnand to an emunand even possible, as long as they are on the same system menu version?

You can not system transfer a N3DS to an O3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol