Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

axemurderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, well I got it to not throw any errors when I try the downgrade, however it seems to be frozen. Its been 7 minutes now with no response to my hitting Y. How long should it take? OP's took >5 minutes, so I'm wondering if its frozen or doing something and if I should reboot and retry.

sounds frozen to me. I had that happen a couple times too, reboot.

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you.

My concern is the flag wrote to nand, assuming we're downgrading parts (and not all) of the system that flag may not be rewrote. Resulting in browser errors.

I also see you're having issues with the browser and I suspect that may be because of it. Did you see the update nag before downgrading?
I did indeed see the nag T_T your suspicions maybe correct

Last edited by Dax_Fame,

leonshong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
N3DS 10.3.0-28J-》9.1.0-20J successfully, thanks to @TheStoneBanana and all other developers!!

Though my first attempt failed 2 days ago... (N3DS 9.4.0-28J using 1st release of TuxSH's sysUpdater downloaded from GH by this guide, DSOBk happened in the halfway of writing cias, cause?)

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you.

My concern is the flag wrote to nand, assuming we're downgrading parts (and not all) of the system that flag may not be rewrote. Resulting in browser errors.

I also see you're having issues with the browser and I suspect that may be because of it. Did you see the update nag before downgrading?

I downgraded my o3ds from 10.1 with the update nag and it worked just fine, unsure if that would be contributing in your case but it can work regardless.

Reactions: mutinize

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downgraded my o3ds from 10.1 with the update nag and it worked just fine, unsure if that would be contributing in your case but it can work regardless.
Not when the only entry point available to you is browserhax...

Are you able to get the browser exploit to run after downgrading from 10.1? And if you were using 10.1E that also may be making a difference

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
Not when the only entry point available to you is browserhax...

Are you able to get the browser exploit to run after downgrading from 10.1? And if you were using 10.1E that also may be making a difference

What I was getting at is that it's not a guarantee of failure. Browserhax works fine for me, ya I was on 10.1 E.

MrMud

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I need some help, i follow all the tutorial but my 2ds frozen on this screen:
diUr368
http://imgur.com/diUr368

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I was getting at is that it's not a guarantee of failure. Browserhax works fine for me, ya I was on 10.1 E.
There was an update for the browser in 10.2+, so if this flag theory were indeed the issue (not saying it is) you wouldn't have run into it, not having updated past 10.2 before downgrading

Last edited by Dax_Fame,

Twerkules

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey so I just got a successful downgrade on N3DS (according to the source, has 100% success rate on N3DS and O3DS with 7/7 flawless successes once sysUpdate worked). Just freshly reformat your SD card as FAT32 with a 32MB cache (I used SmartDisk FAT32 Tool, it did it automatically). Put HBL, the .CIAs from that ISO site, and the sysUpdater from that site too. I used browserhax as my initial entrypoint and then installed menuhax. sysUpdater worked on my second try with menuhax (try launching FTPony once before you launch sysUpdate!) and installed flawlessly with no errors.

Hope this helps. :)

[SOURCE] (reddit; u/NoYouMayNotAMA)

( @TheStoneBanana Could you maybe pin this? The visibility could help someone! Just don't forget to credit OP)

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey so I just got a successful downgrade on N3DS (according to the source, has 100% success rate on N3DS and O3DS with 7/7 flawless successes once sysUpdate worked). Just freshly reformat your SD card as FAT32 with a 32MB cache (I used SmartDisk FAT32 Tool, it did it automatically). Put HBL, the .CIAs from that ISO site, and the sysUpdater from that site too. I used browserhax as my initial entrypoint and then installed menuhax. sysUpdater worked on my second try with menuhax (try launching FTPony once before you launch sysUpdate!) and installed flawlessly with no errors.

Hope this helps. :)

[SOURCE] (reddit; u/NoYouMayNotAMA)

( @TheStoneBanana Could you maybe pin this? The visibility could help someone! Just don't forget to credit OP)
Proper homebrew is coming out to downgrade N3DS later today, supposedly, and even if it's not today it's probably better to wait for a proper release than to trust someone on reddit and risk a brick.

axemurderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Proper homebrew is coming out to downgrade N3DS later today, supposedly, and even if it's not today it's probably better to wait for a proper release than to trust someone on reddit and risk a brick.

KTM will probably have about the same success rates as this thread's method. AFAIK all it does is prevent you from using cias for a different console and region.

Twerkules

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't trying anything funky, it was just reformatting my SD card. Nothing fishy or brickable about it. I'm not risking a brick any more or less than doing this any other way. Also, reddit isn't any more trustworthy than this site, you're all random people to me XD

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
It went black once on one of my attempts. And sorry I've done 4 downgrades 3 new and 1 old 3ds Longest one took 5 attempts. I used a small sd card 4gb freshly formatted and I formatted the 3ds system too. I only put the files I needed on the sd for the downgrade. Remember caution if your a noob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night