Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mariobear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It went black once on one of my attempts. And sorry I've done 4 downgrades 3 new and 1 old 3ds Longest one took 5 attempts. I used a small sd card 4gb freshly formatted and I formatted the 3ds system too. I only put the files I needed on the sd for the downgrade. Remember caution if your a noob.
so i done everything BUT formatting my system

Daemnin

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey guys I'm new posting here so, I was wondering if someone could hep me, today I updated my O3DS to 10.3 and wanted to downgrade to 9.2 (I was in a version where there was no way for me to load hombrew laucher) now I got everything I need for the downgrade. sysUpdated in the 3ds folder in my SDCard, also the correct CIA file for my console 9.2.0-20(Full) and it matches the MD5 and SHA-1 that the thread's author posted at the begining this the thread.
Well the problem is that everytime I try to downgrade I get a full black screen when I enter sysUpdater or when I finally find my why thru that black screen I get the following screen and even if I press Y it won't do anything I have to shutdown my 3ds by force (with the powerbutton) my current entrypoints are OOTHax and MenuHax
IMG_20160107_005314.jpg

hirvimies

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I don't know about the other person but I refuse to do this because I don't want to lose my NNID, friends, friend code, all of that. I'll just wait for a better method, I guess.

I was in the same boat but I managed to downgrade my N3DSXL without formatting. Took 5-7 tries with first browserhax then menuhax before it worked. Still got my NNID, digital games and saves. I haven't got to CFW yet, just wanted to downgrade in case Nintendo decides to fix the exploit.

Daemnin

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey guys I'm new posting here so, I was wondering if someone could hep me, today I updated my O3DS to 10.3 and wanted to downgrade to 9.2 (I was in a version where there was no way for me to load hombrew laucher) now I got everything I need for the downgrade. sysUpdated in the 3ds folder in my SDCard, also the correct CIA file for my console 9.2.0-20(Full) and it matches the MD5 and SHA-1 that the thread's author posted at the begining this the thread.
Well the problem is that everytime I try to downgrade I get a full black screen when I enter sysUpdater or when I finally find my why thru that black screen I get the following screen and even if I press Y it won't do anything I have to shutdown my 3ds by force (with the powerbutton) my current entrypoints are OOTHax and MenuHax
I finally did it! I copied the starter kit to the sdcard again to ensure it was the latest version
IMG_20160107_013126.jpg

axemurderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was in the same boat but I managed to downgrade my N3DSXL without formatting. Took 5-7 tries with first browserhax then menuhax before it worked. Still got my NNID, digital games and saves. I haven't got to CFW yet, just wanted to downgrade in case Nintendo decides to fix the exploit.

did you ever have a softbrick though? I've attempted downgrading and gotten as far as "rebooting the console" part 3 times and then ended up softbricked every time.

hirvimies

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
did you ever have a softbrick though? I've attempted downgrading and gotten as far as "rebooting the console" part 3 times and then ended up softbricked every time.

No, the whole process went without a hitch more or less. I got the "unable to retrieve CIA information" which is a bug with sysupdater but it worked after a few tries. Didn't softbrick for me, either it worked or it didn't.

mutinize

dazed and confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can load sysUpdater but I can't press any buttons. It just freezes on "press a, x , or y etc." I've tried this over 40 times between menuhax and ironhax. Anyone experience the same thing?

axemurderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has anyone managed to downgrade while having legit cia installed? maybe that's my problem - I decided to install some legit cia for limited piracy while I waited for a more stable downgrade.

mutinize

dazed and confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has anyone managed downgrade while having legit cia installed? maybe that's my problem - I decided to install some legit cia for limited piracy while I waited for a more stable downgrade.
What exactly is it doing for you?

I installed legit cia s and mine is freezing on the first prompt. It enters sysUpdater without issue but I cannot press Y to downgrade. It just freezes there and requires a reboot.

Also what system version and exploit are you trying. I am 9.9 with menuhax.

e: finally got it to work with an error "titleException: main.cpp:148: Result: 0xD900182F Failed to get CIA file info!"

crap

Last edited by mutinize,

axemurderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What exactly is it doing for you?

I installed legit cia s and mine is freezing on the first prompt. It enters sysUpdater without issue but I cannot press Y to downgrade. It just freezes there and requires a reboot.

Also what system version and exploit are you trying. I am 9.9 with menuhax.

e: finally got it to work with an error "titleException: main.cpp:148: Result: 0xD900182F Failed to get CIA file info!"

crap

n3ds, 10.3, ironhax. when sysUpdater does start, I mostly get the same "failed to get cia info" error. just keep retrying by pressing b and then reentering sysUpdater and pressing y again. it worked eventually for me.

my problem is that when it does actually work, it will go through the whole downgrade process, reboot, and I will get "an error has occurred" no matter what. I can access recovery and update to try again. I've done this three times and gotten 3 softbricks.

mutinize

dazed and confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, got another failed to get CIA error after 40 minutes of trying to get past the press Y prompt. Hopefully a more stable build comes from this and not everyone is stuck battling a game of chance.

TR_mahmutpek

medic
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Huh, got another failed to get CIA error after 40 minutes of trying to get past the press Y prompt. Hopefully a more stable build comes from this and not everyone is stuck battling a game of chance.
You must format your sd and 3ds for clean and safely downgrading. Try this :)

mutinize

dazed and confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm back after still trying.

Successfully downgraded to 9.2 after constantly battling freezing and CIA file info failures.

In case anyone wants my info for troubleshooting:

9.9U o3DS, Ironhax (and menuhax), + browser blocked update nag. Seems Ironhax did better than Menuhax but your results may vary. And although my browser was blocked it no longer is on 9.2U.

Reactions: axemurderer

The Iron Rose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any updates since julian20's version a hundred odd pages and two days back?

Also anyone know if you can downgrade emuNAND (and just emuNAND) with this? Or is there another easier way to downgrade emuNAND?

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, this downgrade just isn't working for me. I always get the "error has occurred" screen after installing the cia's, surely there's an explanation for this, right? I've done all the hocus pocus I could, my MD5 and sha's check out fine, formatted the SD, and it's always the same result, "an error has occurred" screen after each downgrade. Man I wish the 10.3 update would stay in the system every time we go into recovery lol....

axemurderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, this downgrade just isn't working for me. I always get the "error has occurred" screen after installing the cia's, surely there's an explanation for this, right? I've done all the hocus pocus I could, my MD5 and sha's check out fine, formatted the SD, and it's always the same result, "an error has occurred" screen after each downgrade. Man I wish the 10.3 update would stay in the system every time we go into recovery lol....

I'm also experiencing this. we just have to wait for something that works for us. formatting your system might work, but you'll lose data.

mutinize

dazed and confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried rebooting without an SD card in after downgrading? I was advised to format and it wasn't necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: old men discussion