Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaffleWafer

GBATemp Novice Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I am not exactly sure and I believe they both are the same however I know for sure that the one I quoted is the Steveice one and I am not sure about OP so I used the one I quoted when downgrading and it worked first try.
The OP sysupdater installs NATIVE_FIRM first before CIA files, which according to some is brick-prone.
Stevice10's Dropbox Sysupdater installs NATIVE FIRM 'after' all cias, which they say is 'safer' or yields more success. Also, this sysupdater is more consistent.

Last edited by WaffleWafer,

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not exactly sure and I believe they both are the same however I know for sure that the one I quoted is the Steveice one and I am not sure about OP so I used the one I quoted when downgrading and it worked first try.
There's a difference in the size of the zip files. The steveice one is 400 KB while the one in the OP is 100 KB. There's a sysupdater.elf file included in the steveice zip for some reason. I guess I'll go with this one, especially since you said it worked for you.

mutinize

dazed and confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
question

Do you have to update to 10.3 or can you downgrade on 9.9? My web browser is currently blocked on my o3DS for being on an old firmware.

thank you.

A_M391C

Trophies
XP
Country
I had an error that prevented me from entering system settings, it booted but I could not confirm firmware version.
I am going into safe mode and updating to try again.

Dragonblazer87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
failed to get cia info?! anyone?
From what I have heard keep trying until it works a lot of people seem to get that.

I am also having trouble getting browserhax or any other entry point working after downgrading to 9.2U ... Regardless of any tutorials I follow, like @Escorpion
I'm not sure how to help you with that are you using the bowserhax url for 10.1 and under?

angelus kun

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wow after muy black screen brick, final y SUCCESS!! I confirm the low VERY low success of sys updater, DONT TRY IT! PLEASE! JUST WAIT FOR KTM! my system is a new 3ds xl black on 10.3 downgraded to 9.2

Attachments

• received_1050449545011258.jpeg
    received_1050449545011258.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20160106_181254.jpg
    IMG_20160106_181254.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 167

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
question

Do you have to update to 10.3 or can you downgrade on 9.9? My web browser is currently blocked on my o3DS for being on an old firmware.

thank you.

That's what I did and it worked just fine

From what I have heard keep trying until it works a lot of people seem to get that.

I'm not sure how to help you with that are you using the bowserhax url for 10.1 and under?

Naturally... As I said, I've followed tutorials. The browser just "has an error" an kicks me back to the menu

Reactions: mutinize

mutinize

dazed and confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I did and it worked just fine
Thank you.

My concern is the flag wrote to nand, assuming we're downgrading parts (and not all) of the system that flag may not be rewrote. Resulting in browser errors.

I also see you're having issues with the browser and I suspect that may be because of it. Did you see the update nag before downgrading?

A_M391C

Trophies
XP
Country
I had an error that prevented me from entering system settings, it booted but I could not confirm firmware version.
I am going into safe mode and updating to try again.
20 min later and I can report success on downgrading from 10.3 to 9.2 on a EUR system in Australia

axemurderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow after muy black screen brick, final y SUCCESS!! I confirm the low VERY low success of sys updater, DONT TRY IT! PLEASE! JUST WAIT FOR KTM! my system is a new 3ds xl black on 10.3 downgraded to 9.2

so just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, you've softbricked before and after more tries, it eventually worked? maybe I should try again, I got 3 softbricks and decided to stop trying today.

angelus kun

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
so just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, you've softbricked before and after more tries, it eventually worked? maybe I should try again, I got 3 softbricks and decided to stop trying today.
i"ve softbricked 1 time then, i try only 2 times because i was little worried but the screen froze, then i decided to try 1 last time and it worked :) ah and i dont see 8 steps on sys updater only 4 but, it worked! :D its a little weird, sorry for my english haha

Twerkules

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep getting the same error when I try to do the downgrade: titleException: main.cpp:148: Result: 0xD900182F Failed to get CIA file info!

After the error is thrown, my 3DS hangs. I'm on an N3DS on 10.3.0.28U with Homemenuhax as an entrypoint. Browserhax and oot3dhax both fail to launch sysUpdater every time. I've verified the MD5 of the zip I downloaded, so I'm sure its the right one with no corruption. I've tried OP's sysUpdater, as well as the version @Steveice10 posted. The modded (Steveice's version) usually hangs at "Step3:Performing race..." however, sometimes I will get to the "(Y) Downgrade" prompt, but I get a "Kernel result:ffffffff" and "Kernel exec fail khaxInit: Step3 failed: ffffffff" error. If I hit y I always get the "Failed to get CIA file info!" error.

No idea what do do, can anyone help me get out of this bind?

Twerkules

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep getting the same error when I try to do the downgrade: titleException: main.cpp:148: Result: 0xD900182F Failed to get CIA file info!

After the error is thrown, my 3DS hangs. I'm on an N3DS on 10.3.0.28U with Homemenuhax as an entrypoint. Browserhax and oot3dhax both fail to launch sysUpdater every time. I've verified the MD5 of the zip I downloaded, so I'm sure its the right one with no corruption. I've tried OP's sysUpdater, as well as the version @Steveice10 posted. The modded (Steveice's version) usually hangs at "Step3:Performing race..." however, sometimes I will get to the "(Y) Downgrade" prompt, but I get a "Kernel result:ffffffff" and "Kernel exec fail khaxInit: Step3 failed: ffffffff" error. If I hit y I always get the "Failed to get CIA file info!" error.

axemurderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i"ve softbricked 1 time then, i try only 2 times because i was little worried but the screen froze, then i decided to try 1 last time and it worked :) ah and i dont see 8 steps on sys updater only 4 but, it worked! :D its a little weird, sorry for my english haha

your English is fine! glad it worked for you.

try using the sysUpdater from that iso site. about the "failed to get cia file info" error - if the hashes match and you're still getting that error, it's just sysUpdater being weird. I kept pressing b and then reentering sysUpdater to try again. it'll work eventually.

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country

Twerkules

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your English is fine! glad it worked for you.

try using the sysUpdater from that iso site. about the "failed to get cia file info" error - if the hashes match and you're still getting that error, it's just sysUpdater being weird. I kept pressing b and then reentering sysUpdater to try again. it'll work eventually.

Alright, well I got it to not throw any errors when I try the downgrade, however it seems to be frozen. Its been 7 minutes now with no response to my hitting Y. How long should it take? OP's took >5 minutes, so I'm wondering if its frozen or doing something and if I should reboot and retry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro