Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried rebooting without an SD card in after downgrading? I was advised to format and it wasn't necessary.
I always did take out the SD card. As far as I can tell the "error has occurred" screen is never caused by the SD card being inside, it's just a weird downgrade gone wrong.

Aternel

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, I was just asking myself something : Let's say I dumped a game from my cartridge, I put it on my emunand as a CIA and installed it, is it safe to update the said game or do I need the update cia ?

brkun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I was just asking myself something : Let's say I dumped a game from my cartridge, I put it on my emunand as a CIA and installed it, is it safe to update the said game or do I need the update cia ?
Yes, safe.

axemurderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, fuck. attempt #6 turned into softbrick #6 and after recovery + updating: what seems to be permanent softbrick #7. I can get into recovery but updating just hangs for a while until it gives me "an error has occurred. unable to update." I'm probably screwed.

edit: whew, I managed to update. for some reason it would not work through my home wifi this time despite it working fine before. I tried my phone's wifi hotspot and it managed to update. I'm not trying to downgrade again until something is released that actually works for those of us who continually softbrick.

Last edited by axemurderer,

LordBone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Hello again everyone. I successfully downgraded and installed emunand. Now I'm trying to install FBI, but when I'm checking for TMD version I get only what you can see on the picture. What am I doing wrong?
IMG_20160107_153858.jpg
I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask this.

K

KingpinSlim

I tried helping my girlfriend downgrading her o3DS 10.3 following this guide.

we used the newer sysupdater by julian and after a few tries (using ironhax as entrypoint) we got it to install all the .cia files for her region.

when it rebooted it was displaying 9.2 but ironfall would get stuck on the 3DS splash screen and no browser entry-point worked.

We had no more entrypoint to launch the homebrew menu.

What went wrong there?

axemurderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

we used the newer sysupdater by julian and after a few tries (using ironhax as entrypoint) we got it to install all the .cia files for her region.

when it rebooted it was displaying 9.2 but ironfall would get stuck on the 3DS splash screen and no browser entry-point worked.

What went wrong there?

I can tell you that ironfall doesn't work on 9.2 afaik

Chrestomanci

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland

What went wrong there?
Nothing went wrong. Ironfall doesn't work in 9.2 and the browser entry point (sliderhax) takes a lot of tries.

K

KingpinSlim

I did not know that.
We updated to 10.3 again and decided to wait for KTM.

I suppose we will simply try all of this again tomorrow.

hirvimies

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I did not know that.
We updated to 10.3 again and decided to wait for KTM.

I suppose we will simply try all of this again tomorrow.

I don't see how KTM will help you? You downgraded just fine and only needed to try browserhax a couple of times more since sliderhax is a bit special.

K

KingpinSlim

I don't see how KTM will help you? You downgraded just fine and only needed to try browserhax a couple of times more since sliderhax is a bit special.

That was when we feared that the downgrade created some sort of "frankenfirm" that left all entrypoints useless.

We will try the same method again tomorrow until we can utilize sliderhax to install menuhax and therefor create a more reliable entrypoint.

I thank everyone for their quick and helpful replies!

aeros

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok so i should have checked my firmware sooner...
after the two failed attempts of sysUpdater installing the downgrade
my n3ds shows i am on 9.1 even though sysUpdater returned an error and i used the 9.2 n3ds full package from that one site
so is my 3ds on a hybrid firmware now?
if so how do i fix it?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

ok so i should have checked my firmware sooner...
after the two failed attempts of sysUpdater installing the downgrade
my n3ds shows i am on 9.1 even though sysUpdater returned an error and i used the 9.2 n3ds full package from that one site
so is my 3ds on a hybrid firmware now?
if so how do i fix it?
P.S. theme hax still works

WaffleWafer

GBATemp Novice Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
question

Do you have to update to 10.3 or can you downgrade on 9.9? My web browser is currently blocked on my o3DS for being on an old firmware.

thank you.
Better update and downgrade from there.
Edit: oops, i didnt see it was an old posf lol

thistime

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Hi,

I have a Monster Hunter 4U edition of the n3DS, it's European.

Screenshots of the contents of my SD card: http://puu.sh/mmThU/3630decfa1.png http://puu.sh/mmU1j/f76992cc26.png

As far as I'm concerned, this is what it should look like when you boot up sysUpdate: http://i.imgur.com/vRN5jWZ.jpg

But on my end, it does not do the count up from 1 to 8 (let alone even say ARM11 Kernel Exploit). It simply (sometimes) shows the option for me to press A, Y or B. Trying to downgrade it makes the screen either go all black, or I get an error line that it could not load the CIA files.

I have followed the instructions and made sure everything is right, I've had a friend who was successful in downgrading his n3DS double check it with me, and as far as we're concerned I'm not doing anything wrong.

I have also tried both suggested entry points.

My n3DS is version 10.2.0-28E. I have made sure that I downloaded the right CIA files (9.2.0-20E(full)_n3DS.zip).

How can I fix this?

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, I only used it as an example.

I have been using the sysUpdater provided on page 95 all along. Didn't mean to cause any confusion.
The last build doesn't show those steps, just the options and then the progress.

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes that's I'm saying yours is correct. Just keep trying some people have reported trying 2000 times. Some do it first time. Mine didn't take any more than 5 times. Fresh format sd card and format the 3ds system. Stuff will be lost so back it up. And caution do it at your own risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5