Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by TheStoneBanana, Jan 3, 2016.

1. D1M13R

D1M13R Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    Brazil
    If you do this and have a sucess, i will do it too

2. EpicLPer

EpicLPer Nice unless you give me a reason to hate you ;)

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    After formatting any way to restore all the stuff from before formatting? Like, eShop games, saves etc?

3. Kafke

Kafke GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    United States
    I'll probably be doing it sometime tomorrow. Too late to be messing with it right now. And I want to do some safety backup stuff to ensure I don't lose anything important (I'm gonna check the compatibility with my linked O3DS emunand, and perhaps back up a save or two).

I'm guessing it'll probably work, since I've seen a couple users having problems and then having it work after formatting. I also saw a couple users downgrade without formatting after having the issue, so I'm not sure what's up.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Nope. Formatting the console resets the encryption key. So if you want your saves, you have to back them up. You might be able to relink your NNID and redownload your stuff though.

4. isugimpy

isugimpy Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    For what it's worth, I've formatted my N3DS during my escapades and still haven't had success out of ~100 runs. Tried formatting the SD itself this morning as well, not getting anywhere so far, but still trying.

5. Fenderfix

Fenderfix Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    Italy
    Turin
    Is formatting a trick for bypass the brick?

Last edited by Fenderfix, Jan 6, 2016
  6. EpicLPer

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    Most likely till someone releases a fix or knows what's going wrong.

7. OneUp

OneUp GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2008
    United States

I'm relatively certain that procedure is correct. The sysnand is updated/downgraded again separately after the unlink. The errors that are thrown trying to access eshop or nnid settings after the unlink have solutions suggesting to activate your nnid again on the unlinked sysnand to get rid of them. Nintendo changed servers or whatnot and you can't activate nnid on 9.2, so the update and downgrade again...

8. hankchill

hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Nov 5, 2005
    Canada
    Outer Space
    Wish I knew the saves were encrypted before formatting my N3DS. Didn't even think twice about it. All my save data. Gone. I am a sad panda.

Tried for approx. 10 hours over the past few days, over 300 attempts, all failures. Followed everyone else's success steps to a T.

Guess it's just my luck. I give up.

9. Hammyface

Hammyface GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2006
    United States
    Vermont
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but it's very confusing reading the info on doing this to an n3DS.

I am on 9.8 on a new3DS (US version, non-XL Animal Crossing bundle). What is the best and safest way to downgrade to 9.2 on my n3ds? Keep in mind I have a Gateway card and Cubic Ninja if that helps.

Most importantly: I would like this to be the "full" 9.2, not the one where 9.8 is really running in the background (I've heard from numerous people that this was their outcome when downgrading their n3ds). I also would like the method with the full arm9/CPU exploit or whatever where SNES emulators will take advantage of the n3ds' better CPU. Which method, if any, would provide this?

Thank you! :)

10. EpicLPer

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    This was already fixed a few days ago, no worries

Hammyface likes this.
  11. Arubaro

Arubaro Soulspace Guardian

Sep 4, 2015
    nvm

Last edited by Arubaro, Jan 6, 2016
  12. Hammyface

Hammyface GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2006
    United States
    Vermont
    Awesome. I didn't even realize it was a glitch (I thought it was a temporary limitation).

Is the risk of bricking an n3ds still fairly high? Should I be looking up the guide for the memchunkhax or snshax or a different one completely?

13. EpicLPer

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    It's still something to keep in mind but if you follow this tutorial with the latest updated sysupgrader bricking without being able to recover is kind of low.

14. NCorp.

NCorp. GBAtemp Regular

Aug 24, 2015
    India
    Somewhere in India
    Some questions on Emunand :-
    1. Will things I installed in sysNAND be visible and playable in emuNAND (linked)
    2. Can I access e-shop in emuNAND properly
    3. To which NAND should I install my CIA's

15. Fenderfix

Fenderfix Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    Italy
    Turin
    But why only the JAP version need to delete a .cia files?

16. andredinizbegio

andredinizbegio Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2009
    Brazil
    I've tried 6 times and got a softbrick all the times. I've checked md5 ans SH1 for the cia files and made every step right. If I continue trying there's a chance to get it work or should forget about it? I never had a problem starting the sysUpdater, justa always get a black screen after downgrade (even when removing the SD after the downgrade)

17. EpicLPer

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    I have no idea.

18. aeros

aeros Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2011
    Canada
    but if i delete the cia, it wont let me downgrade, an error just pops up

19. Father Crilly

Father Crilly GBAtemp's Phoney Priest

Aug 5, 2015
    Ireland
    Maybe someone doesn't like the Japanese... That CIA will cause a brick. This problem only affects Japanese firmwares.

20. Fenderfix

Fenderfix Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    Italy
    Turin
    You delete the 000400102002CA00.cia?
    And which version of 3DS you have? Region?