Shut down Wii Discussions

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I've already suggested keeping separate boards on separate servers. That would prevent the whole forum from crashing when a popular release gets dumped. The flood would slow down only the relevant board, leaving the rest of the forum alone.

I know how horribly expensive and unfeasible that would be, though.
unsure.gif

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
deanxxczx said:
or maybe a donation link for paypal for more faster server upgrades?
This. Most forums allow people to donate for the forum to upgrade. That's how other forums have such a fast server compared to GBAtemp's.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Raika said:
deanxxczx said:
or maybe a donation link for paypal for more faster server upgrades?
This. Most forums allow people to donate for the forum to upgrade. That's how other forums have such a fast server compared to GBAtemp's.
Administration doesn't want us to pay though. That idea has been pitched a thousand times and we always get the same answer. I honestly have no clue as for whats a good way to prevent servers going down. I think Im fine the way we are now. I hope someone smarter can make a better plan and cutting off half the board isnt going to help.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
p1ngpong said:
Unless you guys haven't noticed the forums speed has significantly improved recently. Which sort of makes this entire discussion redundant.
It still has some slowdowns and I get "503 Server Error" every now and then (a few times a day). It's not as bad as it used to be, but it's not ideal.

Ryufushichou

I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont see your arguments about the slowdowns, i never get the slowdowns, im on dial-up atm and this loads faster for me then most other pages. but:
A) having 2 sites would just make it confusing for the people who have both
B) gbatemp also do alot of other consoles are you going to blame those for the slowdowns after the wii ones are gone?
C) if they remove the board, how is that fair for the people that do have Wii's? you would just get people complaining on the general and DS forums, complaining about how it was removed, making that whole idea pointless as the slowdown would be even greater, or remain exactly the same.

just my opinion.

- VV

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
More like OP is butthurt from his dialup.

Though seriously this is quite silly, forums speeds have been great and I see no need for a killswitch. It's just like shutting down the kidney surgery part of the hospital when it can run smoothly with everything else. Though that analogy was pretty horrible and didn't make much sense (Mostly because that's not how a hospital works) though you should get the point.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Case in point: the forum is lagging like crazy now.

EDIT: It took me three attempts to post that, and another two to make this edit.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No.

I'm gonna quote shaunj66 on this one, this is what he said in this topic:

QUOTE said:
Anyway, as you may have noticed, lately GBAtemp has been suffering from minor and major slow downs right down to being completely offline. This happens not only during high traffic periods such as popular game releases, but even during non-peak times. Quite frankly, we don't think this is fair on our members. GBAtemp is an information resource and when we're not there for you, we're failing at what we do and not bringing in the new members that could contribute to our site.

I think I made my point, this is never going to happen ( at least not under shaunj66 watch
smile.gif
)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm not saying the board should be closed, in fact, I'm against the idea. I'm just telling p1ngy the slowdown problem is still here to some extent.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Satangel said:
I've got a suggestion:
Wouldn't it be possible to stop loading the sigs and avatars from people whenever the server takes a specific amount of time to load?
Well, they can disable it manually, I guess (as well as you in the user CP)

I was also thinking about a limit of say 50 posts before you can even use a sig/ava

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Satangel said:
Wouldn't it be possible to stop loading the sigs and avatars from people whenever the server takes a specific amount of time to load?
Sigs and avatars are usually hosted on other sites, so loading them isn't a strain on the Temp servers. I don't know how many people host their sigs/avas on Filetrip but I think it's a very small percentage.

Maybe they could remove the "getnewpost" trigger during floods. I don't know the specifics of how that particular query works so I couldn't say how much of a strain on the database that is, but offhand I'd say it would lessen the workload. Maybe.

computerboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Shut the Wii discussions board down? NEVER!!! Shut it down for guests and maybe people under 10 posts? YEAH!!!

EDIT: I think we should also shut down the DS section (cause I don't use it)
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
shut down the 360 and ps3 forums cos all they do is talk about shooters and rrod it's a waste having the ps3 forums you can't even hack it!
rofl2.gif

they should close that damn mario thread that's the cause of everything there is ENOUGH info in it anyway to tell peeps how to run it there's really NO need for it to stay open!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8